FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Facebook Suggestions

Author Topic: Facebook Suggestions
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
This is fairly bizarre, but I received a call from Facebook earlier this afternoon asking if I would be interested in participating in a one-on-one video interview for their Marketing division. Apparently a friend of mine who works there gave them my contact information. I told them I'd love to. The interview begins in eight hours, and I'm supposed to have suggestions to improve Facebook.

I thought this would be a good opportunity to find out what Jatraquero Facebookers thought. Looking at our group tells me that there are a lot of us. I can take your suggestions in with me tomorrow. I don't know how seriously they're taking these interviews, but I thought it'd be worth a shot.

So...how would you improve Facebook?

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that allows you to choose to know if the forums/walls of the groups or events you're in are being updated.

Odd little questions to answer in the profile beyond the basic information already there. Also questions that would change & ask for updates (like the status bar does) per week would be cool. I'm thinking something along the lines of a random fill-in the blank question: "Jaclyn's word for the week is _____", "Jaclyn's favorite carnavore is _____", etc. Random stuff is always fun.

A way to change the formatting of the "current status" blurb. Sometimes "Jaclyn is ..." doesn't work too well for what I want to get across. Also, sometimes the pronouns don't change as they ought.

Way to distinguish or highlight certain groups. For instance, it'd be awesome if I could highlight the "I'm a Philosophy Major (and Damn Proud!)" group when I'm in a philosophical mood, or working on my thesis.

Maybe a way to separate the feed by networks?

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
Built-in RSS feeds?

No wait, maybe that would be too creepy.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love it if you could have them send you an email when you receive a message. You can choose to get notified by email if someone writes on your wall, pokes you, invites you to something, etc, but not when you receive a message.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
That's strange... I get an email every time someone sends me a message.
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I get an email everytime someone sends me a message, as well. They just started doing that a few months ago, though.

My main suggestion is to remove the word 'is' from the status bar. Just have the person's name, and then let them fill in the sentence however they like. The 'is' is too restrictive, and leads to some interesting sentence constructions.

My other suggestion is that they let you choose to ignore updates from certain people (it's annoying when that one person updates their profile 3x a week so that they're always on top of the 'Recently Updated Friends' list). I think this 'ignore' feature should be a checkbox that you could select or deselect at any time.

I'd also like to see the option to make your own profile private, in case you need a facebook break. There's a good chance you can already do this, I haven't really looked too hard into the privacy settings.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I joined facebook the two things I wanted most were global groups and being able to friend high schoolers.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Being able to choose our own verbs for the status messages (so that "_____ is..." isn't the only option possible) would be nice.

The group forums are currently threaded so that the most recent posts appear at the end of the thread, rather than the beginning, which is really annoying- and very silly considering that walls are already threaded the other way around.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
RSS feeds. A better way to network on actual issues of interest.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Tom, can you elaborate on the latter?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's say I want to swap information about a piece of code I'm writing. I've managed to identify a group for coders and have joined, but now we want to create subprojects and share documents or schedule events related to those things. How do we do that while remaining a child of the parent group?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Ah, good point. I hadn't thought about using Facebook for, y'know, actually productive purposes. [Wink] Insofar as its primary mission is to act as a social networking hub (allowing people to keep up with friends, send messages, etc.), I think Facebook is already miles ahead of MySpace, Friendster, and the like.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
*gets a happy tear in his eye seeing Tom support the addition of RSS feeds*
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
Get bought up by Google so I can merge my large high quality Picasa photo web albums with the tagging and linking features in Facebook [Smile]

And if anyone is talking to Google soon, tell them to automatically link Google Maps to Picasa, so I do not have to manually upload and link KMZ files in order to look at geotagged albums online.
Or at the very least, get rid of the 1MB maximum file size limitation in Google Maps.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh on livejournal it bolds intrests that you share with someone (in their profile) that would be really cool for intrests, books, movies, activities, etc.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hank
Member # 8916

- posted      Profile for Hank   Email Hank         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the "is" question, and I've always thought it would be nice to be able to rank groups I've joined somehow other than how they appear automatically.
Posts: 368 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm pretty sure they change with the most recent updates at the top.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

They do on Walls (including the Wall of the group itself), but not in forum topics.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, such power! If only I had something I really wanted to change...

Being able to tell when people post to groups (that I'm a member of, obviously) without going to the group to check would be nice, but it could also be just one more annoying thing on the mini-feed or clutter in my inbox. Maybe if you could select the topics for which you want to be notified about updates?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps this is just me, but I can't seem to join my school network...
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

aiua, do you have an email address from that school? To be in their network that has to be your email of record.
aiua
Member # 7825

I do, and I've tried that route, though so far been unsuccessful.

It says it doesn't recognize my school.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

are you sure there is a network for your school? That is really odd if there is.
aiua
Member # 7825

Quite. It's listed in the list of school networks, and the fact that my friends are in it does lead me to believe in its existence, yes.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Completely odd. Do you have a facebook in a different network?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one, but it'll only make a couple hundred people happy.

Graduate of Dondero High School have been forced to have "Royal Oak Alumni" on their profile, because Dondero closed last year.

That's crap, I want it changed back.

Seriously though:

Is there way that when you list your favorite movies they can automatically link it to IMDB or Amazon?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

That would be a nice change, Lyr.

Yep, in my city, so I'm content. My network will -hopefully- change in a few weeks anyways, so I'm not terribly put out.

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Ah, good point. I hadn't thought about using Facebook for, y'know, actually productive purposes. [Wink] Insofar as its primary mission is to act as a social networking hub (allowing people to keep up with friends, send messages, etc.), I think Facebook is already miles ahead of MySpace, Friendster, and the like.

Because Facebook was constructed using a much more useful and streamlined architecture than myspace or the others.

This is what I don't like about some of the suggestions for Facebook, actually- that they try to make Facebook more like myspace. For instance, the "Orincoro is" status format keeps people from turning the status bar into a random quote bar. If it were just a random quote bar, it would be myspace-like in its uselessness. People work well with some uniformity and direction. I think if it changed, then it would have to change to something that kept "status" from becoming "nothing."

The other issue I have with Myspace, the one no one ever complains about for some reason, is the load times. I have a fast computer and connection, and myspace constantly goes down, constantly gives errors, constantly times out and is perpetually slow in loading. Top that with the aggressive color schemes and horrific content on most people's pages, and you have a horrible experience. I hate myspace with a passion, and I am looking forward to the day when it is eclipsed by sanity.

Facebook should keep as a golden rule, to remain streamlined and formatted with attention to ease of access and comfort in reading.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish it was still for students only...and alumni.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Altáriël of Dorthonion:
I wish it was still for students only...and alumni.

Ditto.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about facebook, but I know that I don't want to join myspace. I'm attending a university now, but it's not the one I'd want to join in facebook. I graduated from college in 2000, and it's been a very long time since I've had an alumni email address there. So does that mean I can never join their group?

Also, a friend of mine is wanting me to get on myspace, but I'm trying to lead her toward alternatives. She said that facebook is only for students and is just as commercial and icky as I find myspace to be.

So what's the story with facebook? Is it better than myspace? How?

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
they are both just ok. myspace is a TON more customizable than FaceBook. the bad thingabout myspace is that ppl will sometimes spam u with lame deals for free stuff and what not. facebook is not just for students any more. u can join a regional network now.

i agree with all the ppl that say they should take out the "is" for Status. it really is too restricting.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishAphrodite19
Member # 1880

- posted      Profile for IrishAphrodite19   Email IrishAphrodite19         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Orincoro. Facebook needs to remain streamlined and simple in design. I've seen groups requesting that Facebook allow backgrounds and music and "all that" which simply makes me cringe. I like Facebook more than Myspace because it is easy to read and gather information. Also, without these additions it keeps Facebook from being a contest between adolescents for who can have the most pimped out page.

~Irish

Posts: 554 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

Anyone else notice? Facebook 's layout changed slightly and they added some features.

You work fast, Celaeno!

Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the new layout with some of the features on top and some still on the side. I liked the ease of having it all on the sidebar together.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah. but i havent really liked any of the major layout chagnes they've ever done. but i give it a few months and i get used to it.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I hate change. I wish they would stop making major layout changes. Celaeno, can I blame this one on you?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

You can't blame it on her, no. There was a group started by facebook admins a few weeks ago with pictures of what they were about to change, and it looked exactly like the new updates.
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Myspace better than Facebook because seriously, I get next to no messages on Facebook. Myspace, my friends actually TALK to me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you a ninja, that has to count for something.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Define talk Ph.

I don't want to know my Jedi name or have to read bored messages from middle school classmates who never liked me in the first place.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to think my opinions count for something, but no, I don't think you'd be able to blame the new Facebook layout on me.

They were more interested in learning to what extent my friends influence my life than in actual suggestions.

I should show my friend who works there this thread, though. I think he'd find it fascinating.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to be able to mark certain "friends" in a class where I don't get their updates. There are some people who give the play-by-play to their lives. So I get "Levi is about to make dinner." "Levi is making dinner." "Levi made dinner." I haven't talked to Levi in 10 years...
Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's kinda what I was getting at with the selective ignore feature.

I get constant updates from people who won't give me so much as a head nod if they see meet out on the weekend.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
Click "Preferences" to the right of "News Feed" on the top of the feed page. You can enter who/what you're more/less interested in hearing about.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
It does, Tick. It certainly does. Ninjas are love.
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Define talk Ph.

I don't want to know my Jedi name or have to read bored messages from middle school classmates who never liked me in the first place.

As in, my Myspace friends actually message me. For conversation. I can use it to keep in touch with friends on tour, even. Facebook? Not so much.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Could there be a way to keep track of how many times I've poked people? I think that would be fun...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.