FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sean Connery in Indiana Jones 4?

Author Topic: Sean Connery in Indiana Jones 4?
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see Puffy Treat post this, but maybe I missed it.

Variety released this story on April 5th,

quote:
The main casting for "Indiana Jones 4" now seems to be largely in place, save for the question of whether Sean Connery will come out of retirement and reprise his role as Indy's dad.
George Lucas and Steven Spielberg, who begins lensing in June, want Connery to be part of the revival, in which Harrison Ford returns as the adventuring archaeologist.

Connery has said he'd consider "Indy 4" if he liked the script, but that's all he's said publicly up to this point.

Lucas recently told USA Today that "we're still trying" to hammer out a deal with Connery, who last appeared onscreen in 2003's "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."

The project remains top secret in terms of a title or even what roles Shia LaBeouf, Ray Winstone and Cate Blanchett will play (for that matter, no one will even confirm their deals are done). Bets are on LaBeouf playing Indy's son and Blanchett to be Indy's love interest.

So it looks like a possibility! Everyone thus far as praised the script, and after all the rewrites Lucas called for, one would imagine it's stellar by now. I hope Connery goes for it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it even physically possible for Sean Connery to dislike a script? What criteria does he use to determine quality?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I think his criteria are at least more stringent than Samuel L. Jackson's, for what it's worth. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Have they no decency? I, sir, am against raising the dead through black magic just to prance about on screen.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Is it even physically possible for Sean Connery to dislike a script? What criteria does he use to determine quality?

Well said.

Imagine how trashy Dr. No must have looked on paper.

Oh wait.

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

You the man now, DAWG!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

After Entrapment and LXG, I think he'd look a little silly turning down IJ4.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheTick:
I think his criteria are at least more stringent than Samuel L. Jackson's, for what it's worth. [Wink]

Dude. He was in Highlander II: The Quickening.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll see your Highlander 2, and raise The Man and xXx: State of the Union. Besides, he turned down a part in The Matrix, so we know Sean at least has turned down SOMETHING.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
He also had the good sense to turn down being Gandalf in LotR.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Good sense? From what I've read, he was offered a percentage of the profits. If he had accepted, it would have been the best paying acting gig ever.

Assuming, of course, that it would have made as much money with Connery in it. Which it wouldn't have.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry...my e-sarcasm didn't come through too clearly on that one. My point [edit: had I added an eye-roll or something to get it across clearly] was that not only has he not turned down some pretty questionable projects, but he has turned down what would have likely been the most successful project of his career.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Connery's career peaked about 20 years ago, hollywood keeps him around pretty much for the accent and nostalgia at this phase.
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

code:
//ASSERT(!mIsSarcasm);

Crap! Who commented that out?
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Hehe, sorry about that Porter. Sometimes in RL I deadpan statements like that to the extent that it doesn't twitch people's sarcasmeters either. So it's not you, it's me.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
He also had the good sense to turn down being Gandalf in LotR.

It would have made him the highest paid actor in history. I don't think he could have done it better, but I hardly consider that decision "good sense".
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
0_0

i realize this is all about sean connery but WHY IN THE BLUE BLAZES would peter jackson have EVER wanted him for that role?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

From what I can recall of an interview with Jackson -way- back in the '99-'00 period, he actually wasn't interested in seeing Connery as Gandalf.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
what was he "actually" interested in? Seeing Connery as Frodo?
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish they would have found someone more age appropriate than Cate Blanchett. Why not bring back the original Marion Ravenwood.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The name of Cate's character has not been revealed, but it's jumping the gun to assume she's playing Marion.

Previous drafts involved the character, but the current script is still a well-kept secret.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Leonide:
what was he "actually" interested in? Seeing Connery as Frodo?

From what I recall of the interview, he was against seeing Connery cast in any LotR role at all, and called the rumors unfounded.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Your blurb says that she is playing Indie's love interest. Is Amy Irving so busy? Susan Sarandon? Lynda Carter?
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gecko
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for Gecko           Edit/Delete Post 
Indy needs a young girl friend, for the audience can never be reminded that he now gets discounts when going to the movies
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Susan Sarandon?

Surely you're kidding.

steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Connery's career peaked about 20 years ago, hollywood keeps him around pretty much for the accent and nostalgia at this phase."

Sadly, yeah, I agree too. I think the writers over at SNL might perhaps agree to some degree.

"I'll take the penis mightier for 100, Trebek!"

"Buck Futter!"

"Febtober?"

"Well, that's the sound your mother made last night!"

"suck it, trebek!"

etc.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=potRJfgb87o

Horrible video, but you'll be laughing too hard to notice.

My favorites:

"I'll take Anal Bum Cover for $7000!" and the dialogue that follows.

"The day is mine!"

"You'll rule the day you crossed me Trebek!"

And the most awesome of all:

"I don't remember how it ends, but your mother's a whore!"

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"You'll rue the day you crossed me Trebek!"

"Saber....it began with a bloody s!"

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Susan Sarandon?

Surely you're kidding.

Why? She seems like a good choice to me.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Irami Osei-Frimpong:
I wish they would have found someone more age appropriate than Cate Blanchett. Why not bring back the original Marion Ravenwood.

Well, Harrison Ford does seem to like much younger women. *winces at the thought*

He is not NEARLY so sexy this past four or five years.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(But maybe we'll get lucky and she'll be his daughter-in-law/future daughter-in-law.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Susan Sarandon?

Surely you're kidding.

Why? She seems like a good choice to me.
I agree.
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"You'll rue the day you crossed me, Trebek!" [ROFL]

That's one of the ones I was looking for for 15 minutes last night.

"The day is mine!"

That's the other.

I think we should start replying to random posts on hatrack with some of these lines.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's horrible, but I always laugh the hardest at the mispronouncing the titles gags.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

"The Beatles White Album is this color"

"Now listen to me! You back off, Trebek! You wouldn't have known that if you didn't have that card in front of you! This guy reads from a card!"

"This color ends with urple"
(Not Connery but still funny) "What is light urple?"

"This is the sound a doggy makes."
"MOO!"
"I'm sorry that's incorrect. We would have accepted bow wow, or rough"
"Ah rough, just the way your mother likes it Trebek.

And maybe my favorite, just for the delivery:

"I'll take months that start with Feb, Trebek."
"For how much?"
"Surprise me you filthy bastard"
"This is the only month that starts with Feb"
"Febtober!"

As for Susan Sarandon, I guess it's just me, but I just don't see it.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Sela Ward, then, at least she is in her fifties. The guy is sixty-five. It can't be that hard to find an actress in her fifties who is plausibly athletic and intelligent. Marcia Strassman? Debra Winger?

Shia LaBeouf is a strong actor in the young scene. He'll bring a kind of youthful energy, you don't need someone as young as Cate Blanchett as the love interest.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Personally I like Cate Blanchett. Sela Ward works, I didn't personally like her as Kevin Costner's wife in "The Guardian" but frankly I think that was the script, not her. Marcia Strassman would work too I think

What about Mary McDonnell? She's what, 55?

Really I just want any excuse to get her into a movie.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Lauren Hutton wouldn't be a bad choice.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Sean Connery is officially included in the script, and he has been contacted. They are still waiting to hear from him. If he refuses, they will revise the script to compensate.

Link

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.