FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *Luring Minnesota Lurkers*

Author Topic: *Luring Minnesota Lurkers*
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Verily goes to New England Thread:

quote:

Originally posted by Dragon:
When does the Minnesota clump have a party?

Originally posted by ElJay:
Unfortunately, neither Ryuko or Traveler seem to be around much anymore, so the MN clump is basically you, me, and people related to me. So that's not much of a party. I'd be happy to meet you for lunch or dinner sometime, though, and if it's dinner Enigmatic might join us. (I work in downtown St Paul, so meeting someone in Mac/Groveland for lunch would be easy. Enig doesn't.) You're just here until May? I don't think dkw, Bob, & the little one will be up before then, but maybe we can all get together next fall when you're back and have a real party. If we time it carefully, twinky might be here, too.

But I'll stop hijacking the thread, email me through the forum if you'd like to get together before you leave, or we could start a new thread if you'd like to try to lure out some of the MN lurkers.

So... This is my thread to try to lure out anyone currently lurking in Minnesota (or willing to come out to the Twin Cities for the chance to become real and hang out).

I will be in St. Paul until May 13th but I have a whole week of "finals are over but I can't leave yet" (I'm performing at graduation) during which I would love to organize a party if anyone else is interested.

Anyone interested?

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I am out of town May 11th - 14th, but am open and pretty flexible anytime between now and then. Also, I like parties.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
*crickets*
no, . . .
*sound of frozen crickets blown across icy tundra*

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

It's Friday night, dude, slowest time on the forum except Sunday morning. Give it a bit. [Razz]

But there really aren't many active posters in our clump right now. [Frown] When do you come back in the fall, Dragon? With a bit more notice, we might be able to arrange a mini-midwest con, with the Davidsons coming over and the Scopatzi coming up. It's been too long since I've seen Tom & Christy, anyway. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

Oooh, that could be fun.

I think classes started September 6th this year, so I should be back sometime around then. And that would certainly get my semester started right!

(Scopatzi is The Best pluralization ever, by the way.)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am located in sunny southern Minnesota, but unfortunately, I am located in sunny southern Minnesota. The town I live in, mostly for the low cost, is so small you can just about stand in the middle and throw a rock outside the city limits in any direction.

I used to live in Minneapolis near 35th and Lyndale South; nice neighborhood, very convenient. But the cost of living in Minneapolis just got too high. Real estate prices are through the roof up there now.

Keep me in mind, though I can't be sure about meeting on May 13.

Just passing it along.

Steve/BlueWizard

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Well, since the 13th is the day Dragon is leaving, I doubt that would be the day we'd be getting together. Especially since I'll be in Iowa. [Smile] Perhaps the prior weekend?

I can't take credit for Scopatzi, it was my mom's puralization. But I like it, too. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But the cost of living in Minneapolis just got too high. Real estate prices are through the roof up there now.

[ROFL]

*looks around SoCal*

[ROFL] [Laugh] [ROFL]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I know you don't mean it that way, kq, but that post came off as really insulting. Obviously home values aren't as high here as they are there. Wages aren't, either, but the difference in real estate values is larger than the difference in pay. There's tons of reasons for that. But home prices here have still tripled in the last 7 years. I know this because I bought my (small, urban) house for $64,000, and it's current market value according to the tax appraiser is over $180,000. Which is probably low. Wages haven't gone up 300% in the same 7 years, so for a person or family living here who started saving for a downpayment 5 years ago thinking they'd be able to afford a home and then watched the market take off, real estate prices certainly did go through the roof. In fact, they probably went too far -- Minneapolis was listed by one of the national news mags, I think it was Time, as having one of the 5 worst housing bubbles in the country. Prices are higher here than they should be. Not as high as there, but prices there probably aren't going to burst. Here they probably are, and probably should.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be insulting. I have read that there's a bad bubble there right now.

For what it's worth, prices have gone up to 12 times as high in my mom's neighborhood as they were when my mom bought her house in the 12 years since she bought it. Ikes. And while bubbles are bad, they do usually burst-- here we get more like surges, which recede a little but still stay higher than they were.

It's just that we've been researching what KPC will be able to make everywhere else in the country and how much it will cost to live there once he gets his degree-- and it turns out that he can make about the same starting salary almost anywhere in the country-- but almost anywhere in the country (NY and parts of FL being the notable exceptions) is cheaper than here to live. I think I was laughing more at myself because I'm bound and determined that I want to live here, anyway, even though we'll barely be able to rent a bigger place on his starting salary if he gets a job here. [Blushing]

Anyways, I apologize. Also, it was 4 in the morning my time. I really shouldn't post while I should be sleeping. [Blushing]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Thank you.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, a MidwestCon! Right in time for APs!
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

psh, APs.

I take it you would be interested in coming?

Dragon
Member # 3670

*bump*

So, I discovered the identity of Pixie today. Turns out we were already friends, but I just figured out that she was - herself? Yeah. Anyway, she will be studying abroad next semester but would be interested in going out to dinner or coffee or some such thing before I leave in May. If, that is, anyone else (ElJay?) would want to come.

ElJay
Member # 6358

[Smile] I'd love to.
aiua
Member # 7825

I would love to, but.. it'd be a no go with my parents for sure. [Razz] Maybe next time.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

aiua, your profile says you're in Brookfield, is that still accurate? That's quite a ways away to come for dinner or coffee, anyway. [Smile] If we do a real con next fall, would you maybe be able to come? I don't really know how old you are, but since you'd have to check with your parents, I take it you're still in school?

--

Dragon, when were you thinking of doing this, and where? There's a good Thai place near y'all's campus, and Everest On Grand has fantastic Nepali food. Or would you two rather get further away from campus? Do you want to wait until you're both done with finals? maybe the weekend of the 5th? Or is during the week better? Thursday and Sunday nights are bad for me, but other than that I'm pretty flexible.

Dragon
Member # 3670

I think during the week would be better for me, I have to talk to Pixie about when her finals are but I don't really have a preference as to where (though I have never been to Everest on Grand and I've heard great things about it).

I'll talk to PIxie and get back to you.

Dragon
Member # 3670

Ok, here's what she said:

after the 7th sounds great [Smile] i'll be busy with RA stuff on the 9th and 11th, and probably the 8th but schedule something with elJay and let me know what's up [Smile]

So... You doing anything important on Tuesday the 8th?

ElJay
Member # 6358

I can be free the 8th, but doesn't she say she's probably busy the 8th? But that leaves the 10th, which is a Thursday. . . here's the deal with Thursdays, I have allergy shot appointments in the morning, so I go to work late, which means I stay late. Any other day of the week I can get off work earlier, but Thursdays I work until 7. So, if Pixie is busy on the 8th, I can do the 10th, but we'd have to meet around 7:30.

I'll try to remember to check with Enigmatic and see if he wants to come. Let's plan on Everest, if it's somewhere you've wanted to try, it really is good and they have an incredible chickpea battered veggie appetizer that I can't get enough of. [Wink]

Dragon
Member # 3670

Ok, I'll run that by her and see what she says.
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hey! Are we going out to dinner tomorrow or possibly Thursday? What's up?
Dragon
Member # 3670

Thursday would work better for me, I will talk to Pixie.
Dragon
Member # 3670

Thursday is also fine for her - got a time in mind?

Edit: I will be in rehearsal until about 6 or 6:30, so sometime after that.

[ May 07, 2007, 10:27 PM: Message edited by: Dragon ]

ElJay
Member # 6358

I work 'til 7, so I can be at the restaurant at about 7:20. How's that?
Dragon
Member # 3670

I'll talk to Pixie, but it sounds great for me.
Dragon
Member # 3670

Apparently she now has RA stuff that night as well, and she says Friday lunch would work.

So. Complicated.

ElJay
Member # 6358

I'm leaving town Friday at noon, so not for me!

How mobile are you guys? Does one of you have a car, or do you rely on public transport? I could go to my allergy shots early tomorrow, and be free for breakfast at 9:00 at Highland Grill on Cleveland and Ford Parkway. It's not too far from y'all, but it's not close by college student terms, either. [Wink] They have delicious breakfasts, and happen to be right by my clinic.

Otherwise, we might not be able to find a time we're all available. [Frown] I'd be happy to still have dinner with you tomorrow night, of course, and we can still plan something next year after Pixie's study abroad semester.

aiua
Member # 7825

Yes, still in Brookfield. Yes, still in high school - though only for 11 more days! Yes, it is a longish drive. Wishful thinking on my part.
No, next year wouldn't work either - I'm living in Germany!

Have a great time!

ElJay
Member # 6358

*bump* for Dragon. Probably too late for breakfast now, but let me know if you want to do dinner. I'll be checking in all day. [Smile]
Dragon
Member # 3670

Yeah, Pixie is obviously rather busy, but I would love to meet you for dinner. I'll check back a few times today, but the original 7:20 at Everest on Grand sounds like a good plan.
ElJay
Member # 6358

It's a deal! I'm wearing a full-length, sleeveless crinkle dress, pale yellow w/blue flowers and have long, light brown hair. There's several dozen pictures of me online, but I don't particularly know where any of them are now, so I'm not going to direct you to one. I should be relatively easy to pick out, it's a pretty small restaurant. [Wink]
Dragon
Member # 3670

Cool. I am wearing a green skirt and also have light brown / dirty blonde hair.

Looking forward to it!

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Picture of ElJay holding her adorable nephew
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Oh, lovely choice.
Dragon
Member # 3670

Ooh, that is cute!

A photo of me.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still abouts. Alive and lurking. I didn't mean to disappear, but it happens when you are graduating from college. I miss you guys. [Smile]

I'd love to crash you guys' party tonight, but I have an evening class and I can't. Bad luck. [Frown] Oh well, someday I'll meet all the new MN jatraqueros.

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

So come to dinner tonight, Ryuko. [Smile] (I know it's short notice, but you know, if you can make it. [Smile] )
Ryuko
Member # 5125

Edited my message... I wish I could, but I have a close working relationship with the professor of the class, and afterwards I'm going swing dancing... [Frown] I'll try to get back to posting, though. [Smile]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
[Wave]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

Swing dancing?

That's fun enough that we won't have to be offended that you're not dropping everything to come out with us tonight.

P.S.
what school will you be graduating from?

ElJay
Member # 6358

Swing dancing is awesome. Have fun!
Ryuko
Member # 5125

dkw: [Wave]
Dragon: Hamline University
ElJay: I will have lots of fun for you!

Dragon
Member # 3670

Ryuko - cool, congrats on your graduation!

ElJay - thanks for a lovely evening!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.