FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fans of Social Distortion?

Author Topic: Fans of Social Distortion?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
If so, you may now make the sizzle noise on my bum.

I was seated just feet away from them at an all-night diner this morning around 4am. I didn't speak with them, but they seemed to be nice guys. [Smile]

http://www.socialdistortion.com/

(And if you've never before heard of the band, well, then we have something in common.)

----
Edited to add: from the site, they are currently on tour and must have rolled in to Vancouver yesterday.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
make the sizzle noise on my bum.
Wait... WHAT? [Eek!]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
::makes the sizzle noise::

Social D rocks. I realize that they aren't quite hip/folk enough to be loved by the alt-rockers are a little to bluesy to be loved by the hardcore punks and pop punks and a little to punk to be loved by the classic rockers, but I love them.

True, some of their lyrics can be a bit clumsy and they haven't really grown musically, but to me they sound like rock 'n' roll. "1945" is the most rocking song ever and "Angel Wings" is the best punk song about growing up and getting married ever.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
You heard me, King of Men. Do it. DO IT.

[Big Grin]

Cool, Zalmoxis. I will have to look into their stuff.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
O_o

I sense some hairessment going on.

I was thinking I was a fan of social distortion, but I did not know it was a band. I merely enjoy distorting society.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be societal distortion.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I would not describe their sound as "bluesy;" not even a little bit.

I love their cover of 'Ring of Fire,' though.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
*sizzle*

Okay I just sorta like their music, I wouldn't call myself a fan. I wanted to hear the sizzle :X.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Yeah, you're right Scott.

I'm trying to capture that part of their sound that is more straight up rock 'n' roll than punk.

Perhaps roots rock is the better term?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd call it hard rock.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my housemates was at that concert. I hear it was good.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Hard rock? But that makes me think of Van Halen and The Scorpions and I don't think that really fits.

Update:

Okay. Before posting, I thought I'd check out Wikipedia and this is one of those cases where Wikipeida is quite useful. After reading it, I'd say it's right on with what I get from listening to them:

"Social Distortion's main influence is mostly from a roots rock oriented direction, as well as from hardcore punk, psychedelic rock, blues, hard rock, modern rock, grunge and cowpunk. They have never considered themselves a hardcore punk band in any way. Bands/artists that have influenced Social Distortion are: Johnny Cash, The Clash, Dead Boys, Elvis Presley, KISS, Led Zeppelin, John Lennon, New York Dolls, Queen, Ramones, The Rolling Stones, Sex Pistols and Neil Young."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Distortion#Influences

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.