FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Earth picked up a new moon

Author Topic: Earth picked up a new moon
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the Sky and Telescope article about it. It's only about 1 meter across, and is due to wander back out into the solar system this fall, but it's done two loops already, and is supposed to do one more before we lose it. Pretty neat! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Jules Verne was right!!!
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, wow, that is pretty cool! Thanks for the link. Who gets to name it? [Wink]
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
No way! [Cool. [Smile] ]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we could launch a mission to rendezvous with it and strap a sensor array to it before it heads back on its way.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't we just take any old rock into space with a sensor array strapped to and see where it goes?
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Heh, wow, that is pretty cool! Thanks for the link. Who gets to name it? [Wink]

I do. Its name is Smudo.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. [Smile]

Noemon, couldn't less applied energy launch a satellite in that orbit than it would take to rendevous with the moonlet? A rendevous just wouldn't be optimal.

Assuming it would even be an interesting orbit for exploration.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
We should make some more mini-moons. I bet the moon gets lonely, and it would be cool to have another one or two, so it would feel like we're living in a fantasy book.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Because the current assortment of artificial satellites and detritus are insufficient?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, you're probably right, Morbo.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I don't want detritus, I want a couple more full-sized moons to create magical confluences and foretell dark portents.

No dark lord is going to rise to power because the international space station reaches apogee. Get with the program!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

But a 1-meter rock will do the trick?

Um . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
I don't want detritus, I want a couple more full-sized moons to create magical confluences and foretell dark portents.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
We should make some more mini-moons. I bet the moon gets lonely, and it would be cool to have another one or two, so it would feel like we're living in a fantasy book.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

Sorry, by mini-moons, I intended they be not quite the size of our current moon, as to not completely hose the tides up, but still largish, which is as accurate as I'm willing to be.

If the 1-meter rock has portents to deliver, it shall deliver them. At best, space junk we put up there might tell us about a robot uprising, but you're going to have to keep track of thousands of pieces of detritus in relation to the phases of the moon, the current robot-anger level, the fuel levels of the shuttle's main tank... it's a lot of bookkeeping, and frankly I'd rather just leave that to the robots to work out themselves.

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But a 1-meter rock will do the trick?
"'Ee's a ver smallish overlourd. Call him, Engnathok, Tyrant of the Beetles."
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Because the current assortment of artificial satellites and detritus are insufficient?

I want to shoot one into orbit with a big "Do Not Litter" sign on it.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I, for one, welcome our new 1-meter overlord.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not welcome our new 1-meter overlord, and shake my fist insolently at it. I ain't asceered of no 1-meter moon! *shakes fist*
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

ScottR [Laugh]
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Sorry, by mini-moons, I intended they be not quite the size of our current moon, as to not completely hose the tides up, but still largish, which is as accurate as I'm willing to be.

Anything in an Earth orbit even remotely on the scale of our moon will seriously mess with the tides. You can't have it both ways.

I suggest that the two mini-moons be named Timor and Belior. Or maybe one can be T'Kuht.

The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Anything in an Earth orbit even remotely on the scale of our moon will seriously mess with the tides.

Yeah, but it would be SO COOL to have two moons in the sky. SO COOL enough to forget about the awful side-effects until after the start happening.
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer 3 moons, 1 red, 1 white, and 1 small one thats black.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
It wouldn't have to have the mass of our moon - that would be kind of hard to get hold of anyway, it's something on the order of a fourth of the Earth's mass. Make it out of thin plastic, instead - a ping-pong ball that size of the moon, or a little smaller. With some internal struts to prevent it collapsing under its own weight, to be sure. It would still be pretty heavy, but probably not enough to mess up the tides. Finance it by selling ad space.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

What kind of dark overlord would THAT evoke?
MightyCow
Member # 9253

The Nerf Lord of the Sith
Morbo
Member # 5309

KoM, the moon is about 1/4 the diameter of the Earth. The mass ratio is about 1/81.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I sit corrected - I was remembering the diameter ratio as the mass ratio. But anyway, the point remains that you can't very well dig up one-eightieth of the Earth.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course you can't. Instead, you go find an astroid about the right size, round it off, and drop it in an appropiate orbit. Or, dig up a chunk of Mars, if you'd prefer a red moon. Digging up a chunk of the earth would be just silly.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't we just cut the moon we already have in half? Then paint a happy face on the flat side of one half and a sad face on the flat side of the other. Talk about portending!

Edit: Or we could just blow it up.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

I must say I rather doubt that you can even move something one-eightieth the mass of the Earth (with current technology) in less than a few centuries. Good luck calculating the math of that orbit. But in any case there ain't no such asteroid; the largest, Ceres, has a diameter of 950 km, rather less than one-third that of the moon. Although I suppose you could orbit it closer and get some disc size back.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Because everyone else's suggestions have been so practical. Anyway, they said they wanted mini-moons.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The new moon could just be made of paper.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
and hang it over a cardboard sea.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

No dark lord is going to rise to power because the international space station reaches apogee. Get with the program!

Actually, that gives me an idea for a short story. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
I must say I rather doubt that you can even move something one-eightieth the mass of the Earth (with current technology) in less than a few centuries.

No need to. Just move everything else closer to the object. Problem solved!
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
That's no moon, its some kind of man-made satellite. (or Satellittle).

Its a "Death Star".

Only, its a real small one.

More of a "Coma Star"

Or perhaps that's to big too.

Would you believe a "Cat-nap Star"

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How about "Dearth Star"?
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
I must say I rather doubt that you can even move something one-eightieth the mass of the Earth (with current technology) in less than a few centuries. Good luck calculating the math of that orbit. But in any case there ain't no such asteroid; the largest, Ceres, has a diameter of 950 km, rather less than one-third that of the moon. Although I suppose you could orbit it closer and get some disc size back.

Oh I think a second moon that is 1/3 the diameter of our current moon would work quite well. And I'm not convinced that technology necessary to move Ceres into a near earth orbit is necessarily more advanced than the technology for building a moon sized ping pong ball in orbit.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
dearth star! [ROFL]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
And I'm not convinced that technology necessary to move Ceres into a near earth orbit is necessarily more advanced than the technology for building a moon sized ping pong ball in orbit.

But a moon-sized ping-pong ball is so much cooler! It's a much more elegant solution than brute-force moving rocks around, any nuclear power can do that given enough time.
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The Ever-Entertaining Eric James Stone wrote a marvelous short story called 'The Man Who Moved the Moon' in one of the Phobos anthologies.

It's a wonderful story, if you can get ahold of it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
dearth star! [ROFL]

[Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.