FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Road Trip! - I'm back! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Road Trip! - I'm back!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I always get places faster than what the online map places say. But I'm usually driving faster than 55 or 65 or whatever the speed limit may be. So the longer the trip, the larger the difference in projected time to actual time.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
So why haven't you ever joined us for Jai-Alai?

1: My car situation is complicated.
2: My monetary situation is complicated.
3: Until July of last summer I was under 18, and in August I came up to FSU.

Hopefully sometime this summer we can have some sort of get together.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much it costs today, but when I went it was about 15 dollars a plate. But it was so worth it.

A friend of mine who traveled down the east coast stopped by there and references it as a religious experience.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Mapquest also assumes you're driving the speed limit 100% of the time. That cuts in both directions [Smile] .

True. But sometimes exceeding the limit is not an option, simply based on traffic (or road/weather) conditions.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by RunningBear:
I don't know how much it costs today, but when I went it was about 15 dollars a plate. But it was so worth it.

A friend of mine who traveled down the east coast stopped by there and references it as a religious experience.

Hmm, seafood is my temple, so maybe I think I should pay this place a visit for sure. Thanks for the tip!
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
If you visit Fallingwater (what do you mean, maybe?) you are sending me photos!

Sounds like you've got a full one and a half weeks [Smile]

Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Usually I find Mapquest overestimates the amount of time it'll take to get between point A and B, so I think it will be a wash in the end.
This is most assuredly not my experience. IME, Mapquest times assume almost no traffic. Real-life trips take 1.3-1.5 times as long with moderate traffic and can be as bad as 2 (or more) times during rush hour.
I find that Mapquest estimates 60 mph on interstate trips. I never average that slow on interstate trips. Including stops for gas and food, I averaged 74 mph on my last road trip.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Admittedly, I rarely drive interstate.

I also do not ignore posted driving speeds to the degree that you clearly do. But that's another thread.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not that I ignore them.

Well, not entirely, anyway. I just typically drive 80 on the interstate, traffic and weather allowing. And I don't stop much.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I go five mph over the posted limit, usually.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I live just over the bridge from Port Huron, so it would probably be fair to say that I live near Detroit... not that Detroit is really part of the trip itself. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I go five mph over the posted limit, usually.

Ditto.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Euripides:
If you visit Fallingwater (what do you mean, maybe?) you are sending me photos!

Sounds like you've got a full one and a half weeks [Smile]

Well if we go, we won't be going inside the house, the tour is very expensive for what is supposed to be a budget road trip. We'll stop and take pictures probably, but that's all.

Generally I don't go more than 10mph over the speed limit, regardless of what it is. If the speed limit is 60, I'll go 70, etc. When traffic and weather allow, that is.

Twinky -

We really need to have a Detroit-con (oo, let's call it AutoCon!). There's a half dozen of us that live in the area who've never gotten together. I actually might be coming somewhat near your neck of the woods in a few months. There's a city north of Windsor, I can't remember the name, that is supposed to have these white squirrels all over the place, and my best friend and I thought it was hysterical so we might go visit to check out the goofiness.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Euripides
Member # 9315

- posted      Profile for Euripides   Email Euripides         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

Well if we go, we won't be going inside the house, the tour is very expensive for what is supposed to be a budget road trip. We'll stop and take pictures probably, but that's all.

Ah, I see. I hope you get to see it from the creek below. Should be amazing. [Smile]
Posts: 1762 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well I wanted to do a little update on the changes my friends and I have made in the last month. We decided to add two extra days, slow it down a bit, and cut some stuff out, in the name of relaxing.

On Day 1, we’re putting Tiny World and the stupid teapot shaped building on the cut list, in that, if we have time we’ll do it, otherwise it gets the axe.

On Day 2, Baltimore is on the cut list, if we have time, we’ll swing by Blacks in Wax, otherwise we just cruise on to DC.

On Day 4, Arlington was cut entirely, and the Mariner’s Museum is on the cut list, and Fredericksburg might get the axe too, but I’m dead set on stopping there for lunch, seeing part of the battlefield (especially after Dag talked about it in the Virginia thread) and visiting the town. Should allow us more time in Virginia Beach.

Day 5 has now been split into two days. Day one has us going to Kitty Hawk, Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Outer Banks and Roanoke Island.

Day 5b we cut out Myrtle Beach, cut out the Belhaven crazy lady museum, and might cut out New Bern too. The main thrust of the day is driving to Dillon SC, where South of the Border is. Then we end that day in Charleston.

New Day 7 is pretty much the same. Morning in Charleston and then on to Orlando.

New Days 8 & 9 are still in Orlando. Still doing Magic Kingdom and MGM, we get extra hours because we’re staying at a Disneyworld location, so we’ll be going to Magic Kingdom, seeing as much as we can by 5pm or so, and then we’re heading to the 630 showing of that Pirates Adventure dinner show, which we’ve decided to brave despite Icarus’ review of their food (we LOVE pirates, we’ll take the risk  ). After that we’re going to the night time airboat ride, then if we have time we might make it back to the park at night, but probably we’ll just turn in. Next day the magic hours let us stay late at MGM, and we’ll spend the whole day there. I know we’ll have to miss a lot at Magic Kingdom, but it’s the only way to fit in the Non-Disney stuff we really want to do. (PS, Icarus, I don’t suppose you got to Sleuths or Capones in the last month to see what they were like? Those were the only other two we were really curious about).

New Day 10 has us again going to Okefenokee for a canoe trail and maybe some hiking. We’ve decided we want to be outdoors as much as possible for the last few days of the trip. After that we’re going to Macon to see the Ocumulgee National Monument, and then we’ll find a place nearby to camp.

New Day 11 was the second day added, we’ll be going to Atlanta to see the Aquarium, Underground Atlanta, the hot air balloon ride, and whatever else there is time for. We’ll camp nearby.

New Day 12 we wake up and hopefully drive through some logging roads to reach the beginning of the Appalachian Trail, and we’ll hike a mile to get to it, then back to our car. Then we’re skipping Ruby Falls and Lookout Mountain and heading right to Nashville, but I still don’t know if we’re doing anything there, probably not. We’ll end the day (probably getting there in midafternoon) in Mammoth Cave

New Day 13 is more caving, visiting local stuff then a long drive back to Detroit. We’re thinking about staying at a B&B near Mammoth Cave because they’re relatively cheap for the day we’re going.

So that’s the new trip. I really appreciate all the advice you guys tossed out last time, it gave me a lot of ideas. I’m still looking for advice on places to stop and get good food (especially seafood) on some of our Atlantic Seaboard locations. I still don’t know if I’ll have time to stop and see many of you, but hopefully I can fit anyone who is available in for a lunch or dinner here and there. But now I think our schedule is more or less locked in, we just have a few reservations to make still.

krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, im sorry i didnt want to read all of the posts to see fi anyone has mentioned this yet. but for here in GA there are a few cool things to see on your way to Savannah.

1. world's largest aquarium
2. Six Flags / White Water
3. Stone Mountain (very cool laser show at night)
4. CNN Building
5. World of Coca Cola Museum (fun even if u are a pepshi fan)

not sure how much time u have for anything, but stone mountain is a fun day trip for a couple hours and the laser show at night is pretty darn cool too. people bring blankets and stuff and sith on the grass and watch a laser show projected onto the famous side of stone mountain. The aquarium is supposed to be really cool, tho i have yet to go. if u just want a fun day, Six Flags and White Water are both great summer fun spots. My family used to go to Six flags early in the morning for shorter lines, head to White Water when it got later on and hotter, then back to six flags at night (cooler weather) for missed rides and shows.

hope this helped a little. have fun with your road trip.

EDIT: instead of going to the beginning of the App. trail, tryin visiting Tallula Gorge. its a fun hike and has water falls. heres a quick link i found about it.

http://georgiatrails.com/trails/tallulahgorge.html

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

So you decided not to do Hoop Dee Doo? It's not for everyone, but it seems a shame since you're staying right there. (Aren't you?)

I still haven't been to Capone's, but I'm hoping to make it there this summer. I have been to Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede in the last month or so and was very unimpressed.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that the Dixie Stampede in Myrtle Beach is much much better than the one in Orlando. This was from my neighbor who worked for both, one for ten years, one for 8 months.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Could be. Thing is, though, it wasn't just a matter of the horsemanship or the food. I actually though the show, as written, was insufferably stupid.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Yeah we're going to pass on Hoop Dee Doo. It looked like fun, but the Pirate thing has us totally geeked, even though we are staying right there. Either way it's better than Medieval Times I think (I'm guessing).

krynn -

The way to Savannah through Georgia is just along the coastline from Charleston down to Florida, but we'll be seeing some of the things on your list on the way back.

1. That's the Georgia Aquarium no? We're going there. It was the very first thing we decided to do.
2. Avoiding strictly roller coaster parks for two reasons. A. One of the people with us hates roller coasters and gets sick on them. B. We live near Cedar Point, the best park on the planet, so we don't want to waste the time when we go there every year anyway.
3. Stone Mountain we looked at camp grounds, but you HAVE to stay for 2 nights if you want to reserve a campground, so we ruled it out, and that put it out of our way entirely. If it wasn't for that policy, we'd probably go.
4. We'll see the CNN building during our balloon ride, but I don't think we'll have time to go there.
5. This one is a possibility, and I am a HUGE Pepsi fan (hence the stop in New Bern to see the birthplace of Pepsi). We have a big Coke fan in our group.

That hike looks amazing, but where in Georgia is it? It says Athens on the site, which would be a bit out of our way. I love hiking trails, I wish there was a site for all the states and their trails so we could find other stuff. Hikes are a blast.

krynn
Member # 524

its in north georgia somewhere. i havent ben up there in a few years. i did really enjoy the hiking there and the gorge was awesome. Panther Creek is cool too but a longer walk. u dont have to reserve anything i dont think, but i never camped there overnight. we usually just go to Publix (great grocery store) and get their famous huge sub sandwiches and take them as lunch/dinner.

As for Stone Mountain, ive never camped ther eonce in my life. they have have a park and some other small historic touristy stuff there for a day trip. i hav eno idea about the laser show schedule either. anyway, have a great time.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I would skip Underground Atlanta, unless you just want to shop. Some consider it charming, but to me it's just a normal small mall.

If you want to shop, try Little Five Points instead. There are some funky shops there.

http://www.l5p.com/
http://www.l5p.com/busdir3.html#dir

My favorite shop there, a frisbee and other stuff store: IDENTIFIED FLYING OBJECTS
1164 Euclid Avenue 404-524-4628

A popular junk and consigned/used clothing store:JUNKMAN’S DAUGHTER
464 Euclid Avenue 404-577-3188

A cool bar: MANUEL’S TAVERN
602 North Highland Avenue 404-525-3447

Plus lots of other bars, record stores and kitschy junk stores. And a lively street scene. I wish I still lived over there. [Frown]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hey, that looks REALLY cool Morbo. We still want to do the airballoon thing that's at Underground Atlanta, but other than that we might just skip the rest and go there, that place looks really cool.

Can you get into bars in Atlanta is you are under 21? In most parts of Michigan they'll let you in but stamp your hand so you can't drink, and one person in our group will be two months shy of 21.

krynn
Member # 524

hmm, well at Underground they have this thing called Kenny's Alley. its a strip at underground with bars in it and u can leave one bar with your drinkn and walk into another bar. to get into the area u have to be 21 i think. again, i havent been yet, but it sounds like fun. and yeah, lil five is more of a hip scene than underground. a couple of my friends live there and i go out there to concerts sometimes at the variety playhouse and close by is Smith's Olde Bar.

EDIT: Morbo, u live in atlanta too?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well we leave tomorrow night. I probably won't have a chance to get on tomorrow night, but it's possible I'll be on once or twice during the trip for updates.

The plan has changed even more (we're staying at Stone Mountain now for a couple nights in Atlanta, among other changes), and 36 hours from now I'll be rafting down the Youghigheny River holding on for dear life.

I know I said before that I wanted to meet a bunch of you, but now it looks like there just won't be time. I have cousins meeting up with me in Orlando, and I've been told in no uncertain terms by two very cute very manipulative five and six year olds that I will be spending lots of time with them during my two days there. So I apologize, and it's sad, but I'll post tons of pictures of my time down south so you can all see what I was doing [Smile]

So in case I'm not back on tomorrow or during the trip, I'll see you all again in two weeks, wish me luck!

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hey all, I'm back from my little southern journey. I got back about an hour ago after a marathon 10 hour drive from Kentucky. I'll post details and pictures tomorrow. For now, suffice to say that it was amazing, incredible, agonizing, grueling, and memorable.

And it's good to be home.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome home. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Wave]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.