FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wrenching Story: + query

Author Topic: Wrenching Story: + query
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The Chungs, immigrants from
South Korea, realized their American dream when they opened their dry-cleaning business seven years ago in the nation's capital. For the past two years, however, they've been dealing with the nightmare of litigation: a $65 million lawsuit over a pair of missing pants.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070503/ap_on_fe_st/65_million_dollar_pants;_ylt=AhjN82pCIxAk_ow1v3IJhtrMWM0F

This breaks my heart.
I have a related query which I'll add later.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
What a jerk. And the way he's manipulating the system (or trying to) certainly convinces me that his appointment shouldn't be renewed!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
$65 Million for a pair of trousers?

The man is clearly insane and has no place in public office.

Claiming the cost of car rental every weekend for 10 yeas as a cost of not using heis neighbourhood dry-cleaners is just plain bonkers.

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that story has been bouncing around the internet/blogs lately. I think I saw it on fark.com first.

While I could envision that high level of idiocy for a lawyer (though he should at minimum be reprimanded, if not disbarred), nobody who's that much of a jerk should be a judge. I think there may be a petition movement afoot to prevent his being re-appointed as a judge. I hope it succeeds.

[ May 03, 2007, 03:58 AM: Message edited by: Morbo ]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
For a pair of pants found a week later.

Yeah, guy's got class. [/sarcasm]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
What a jerk.

What, exactly, is his aim in doing this? It's ridiculous. Sheesh.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
I have a related query which I'll add later.

If you sue Hatrack for a week-old missing post, you'll surely be shunned. [Wink]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

But I can charge $1000 a day -- that's 7k!

[Wink]

No, well, I sometimes do contractor computer related work for random people to make an odd dollar. I'd rather not this happen to me -- what should I do to protect myself legally?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

There really isn't anything. The guy's suit is without merit -- but there's nothing stopping people from filing stupid lawsuits. Just winning 'em.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Can't you be fined for wasting the court's time with frivolous lawsuits?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, but that's pretty rare. You have to prove it was deliberate.

I have to say, if any case should qualify, this one should.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray!

The Chungs won the case, the judge who was suing them has to pay all their legal fees.

Now I wanna see the ARDC go after the judge... {evil grin}

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Awesome. [Smile] Thanks for sharing the good news!
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a "Congratulations, you're the reason the world laughs at our judicial system" option for disbarring someone?

Also, I'm glad this case didn't go the way I feared it would, and happy that other than some time lost the Chungs didn't have to pay a cent.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad justice was served in this instance.

Small victory for the little minority guys too!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The National Labor Relations Board has called for Mr Pearson to be debarred so that he can no longer serve as a judge.
Link

quote:
Legal groups have said the case, which has dragged on for two years and involved thousands of hours of legal investigative work, has damaged the image of the US judicial system.
Yeah, no kidding. What was he thinking?
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The court costs amount to just over $1,000 for photocopying, filing and similar expenses, according to the Chungs' attorney. A motion to recover the Chungs' tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees will be considered later.

It looks like the issue of their legal fees has yet to be determined. I sure hope he gets stuck paying their tens of thousands of dollars of legal fees in addition to the court costs.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's not be TOO happy, here. I mean, they DO sound like a pretty crappy dry cleaners.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Why? Where are you getting that from?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
quote:
The court costs amount to just over $1,000 for photocopying, filing and similar expenses, according to the Chungs' attorney. A motion to recover the Chungs' tens of thousands of dollars in attorney fees will be considered later.

It looks like the issue of their legal fees has yet to be determined. I sure hope he gets stuck paying their tens of thousands of dollars of legal fees in addition to the court costs.
Ah, they've updated and expanded the story since I posted it. As of 10:30, it was a short 3-para story which reported that Pearson was to pay all of the Chungs' legal fees.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, while I can't really determine if the original suit was without merit, I'm pretty sure it was without pants.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, this guy sounds like SUCH a bully!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
quote:

I hope so too.

If he doesn't I'll donate $20 toward it.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why? Where are you getting that from?
They did lose his pants, insulted him when he demanded his pants, and then tried to pass off pants from another suit for the pants they lost. As far as I know, they're not challenging the fact that his pants are still missing, or even that they treated him badly; they're just -- rightfully -- outraged by the amount claimed in damages.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I don't think that makes them a necessarily bad service.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
if losing their client's clothing and then ill-treating said client is not in the definition of poor dry cleaning service then I'm not sure what is. Admittedly this is a one-off situation as far as I know, so I'm not willing to state that they are bad, just that we don't have any evidence that they aren't.
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I thought that his pants (really truly his, not something they were trying to pass off) were found inside of a week and that their attorney had them because he repeatedly refused delivery. Unfortunately, I don't remember now if that was based on an article I read in the news or someone's comments about that article. And the link in the original post no longer works.

Ah, found this. I think it might be the Chungs' attorneys, if you need to take it with a grain of salt because of the source.

And here's a story from ABC News when this was first blowing up.

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
<grin> I wish they could've fined him a few millions for wasting everybody's time.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never understood how an adult could stand up there and say that they suffered so by not having their favorite pants. What is the judge, eight years old?

[ June 26, 2007, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: HollowEarth ]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they were his "lucky" pants.

Don't they have a sign or notation on their claim check that their maximum liability is limited to the cost of the item lost?

That probably wouldn't have been good enough for him, though.

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
The dude is obviously disturbed in some way.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the articles, the pants were taken in, along with the jacket, to be altered after he purchased them, not cleaned. How could they have been his favorite pants?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

The way I read various stories was that he took them in for alteration because he'd gained weight over the last couple years and was about to start a new job. Which means that they must have been hiding out in the back of the closet for a while if he didn't know they were snug. Which also detracts from the "favorite suit" claim.

I also read that he knew he was in financial straits and was taking the suits in 1 or 2 at a time because of lack of funds. He was concerned that he wasn't going to have enough of a balance on his Visa card. Gee... would that qualify as motivation to be a {unmentionable under TOS}?

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I misread the article. He "brought" the suit, not "bought" the suit.

I guess living in poor backwards Florida distorts my view, but most people I know who are in financial straits don't own $1000 suits. I realize he had them for several years now, but if he just became a judge, that would seem to indicate that he had been successful in life.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like he may lose his job as a judge.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

The sad thing is that thousands of cases like this go by, but the media attention made this somewhat happy for the Chungs.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I'm amazed that even your favourite pants could mean this much to someone. Seriously. They're just pants. They're not a child or a dog or a house.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, while I can't really determine if the original suit was without merit, I'm pretty sure it was without pants.
No, but the story has legs.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Ba-dum-pum. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.