FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Australia Beware!

Author Topic: Australia Beware!
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to officially tell everyone that I got into my Australian abroad program! I will be going to Monash University in Melbourne from July to mid-November. I can't wait, and I'm so excited!

The one drawback is that I have to pay per megabit for the internet. I think it's 12 cents/megabit, which means that there will be very little internet surfing. I might very well go crazy, what with no internet, no TV, possibly no cellphone. I'm just a child of the technology age, what can I say? But even despite that, I'm incredibly excited.

Australian 'Rackers, we should try to plan a get together, especially since I'm going to be trying to get to Sydney at some point during my stay. Also, does anyone have any advice/suggestions for a college student going abroad? Anything you wish you had brought that you really missed? Anything that you thought you would have needed, but ended up never using? Any customs I should know about? I'm interested in anything you can tell me.

But still, I'm so excited! Australia, watch out! Here I come!

[ May 03, 2007, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
Evie, All of the public libraries have free internet access. The large state library in the city is a nice place. Most GSM (uses a SIM card) phone should work for you down there, and you just buy the card, with a phone number, and credit, and you're good to go.

I'd recommend bringing a lot less than you think you need. Buy it there if you must. It really is easy to live on a little.

July - Novemember are the winter months. Weather will be crazy, you probably won't have central heating. Space heaters are expensive to run, you'll want a nice pair of sweatpants/sweatshirt. These are bulkier items, so if you want to save space, just buy them there.

A good link from the archives

Which Monash campus are you going to be on? What are you studying?

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
You can prevent images from loading to save bandwidth. And a text-based forum like this shouldn't take too much bandwidth anyway.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Zevlag, thanks for all the amazing information. I seriously jumped up and down when I read that public libraries have free internet access.

I'm going to be studying at the Clayton campus which, if I'm correct, is the main campus. I'm studying anthropology, so it's a perfect place to learn. It'll be amazing to learn about different cultures while I'm down there, both aborigine and mainstream Australian. I can't wait!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Evie! I hear Monash is really nice. [Smile]

Melbourne is fantastic - you will love it.

As Zevlag says, the weather in Melbourne is crazy. I'm not sure if you'd be familiar with the band Crowded House - but their song, Four Seasons in One Day is joked to be the Melbourne anthem. It will go from freezing and clear, to rainy, to sunny, to a thunderstorm in the space of a day.

It's not nearly as cold as parts of the US can get though. And it's not as hot as other parts of Australia, so you should be fine.

Oh, and start learning your AFL . You're going to be in Melbourne in September, you'll need to know about footy. Pick a team to support, and as long as it's not Collingwood, you'll be fine. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

(Technically, September is the start of spring here. So you could get warm weather. But given it's Melbourne.... )
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
12 cents a megabyte?? That means watching the latest issue of your favorite show would cost more than $60!

Now why would you want to go, again [Wink] ?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Melbourne's WiFi HotSpots
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! Have fun!
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

You guys are amazing. This is why I love Hatrack. So, is it really winter all the way until November? I heard that by about August it gets a lot better, temperature-wise.

The WiFi spots help a lot. I just don't know how many are going to be near my campus, especially since I'm not going to actually be in the city. But still, it makes me feel a lot better that I'm going to have access to internet. That way I can keep up with my daily portion of Hatrack whenever I need it.

Phanto, I'm just going to have to find another way to watch all my favorite shows. It's going to be difficult. Or I can just wait until I get back, and then catch up like a madman with my multitude of shows.

imogen
Member # 5485

Evie!!! How are you going??

I figure you have been here for a couple of weeks now - how is Melbourne?

I meant to do this earlier, but I'm going to email you my phone number - I'm in Canberra, but if you get stranded or broke or anything please give me a call and hopefully I'll be able to help.

(Also, if you got the snow recently - that is *not* normal.)

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughs* I loves imogen.

How's it going, Evie?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm broke...can I have your ATM #? [Wink]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
What! This is not a Snop Dog thread. Oh, now I remember, I've seen it before in May.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Missed this thread when it was posted - I'm in Melbourne, and in Sydney one week a month. I'd be up for a 'racker get together.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I'm broke...can I have your ATM #? [Wink]

Sure thing. My $9.33 (AUD) is all yours.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.