FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Welcome to Zanejin--longest lurker?

Author Topic: Welcome to Zanejin--longest lurker?
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack Zanejin! [Wave]

Or should I say, glad the forum crash coaxed you out of lurking. [Smile]

I noticed Zanejin's member number seemed awfully low for a first time poster. So I checked his or her profile--registered March 12, 2004. Over 3 years between registration and 1st post-- I think that's a record.

I don't normally start a welcome thread for new members, just give a friendly [Wave]
But in the land-rush fever after the forum came back, you were overlooked. And the 3 year wait is interesting.

This is your "welcome to Hatrack" thread, tell us a little about yourself. Forgive me for being nosy, but what made you wait so long before posting? Ignore that question if you want.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Dern, I thought I held the record all this time!
Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Rose, how long did you wait between registering and your first post?
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Oh, joy. A thread with me and two dedicated lurkers. [Wink]

Well, what's in the news today?
*rustle of newspaper*

Morbo
Member # 5309

*crickets*
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanejin
Member # 6318

- posted      Profile for Zanejin   Email Zanejin         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your welcome! I'd very gladly answer your question.

I first registered in 2004 because I had been reading Enderverse books and immensely enjoyed OSC's writing. Parts of the books' acknowledgement sections were devoted to the "Hatrack forums" for the members' input on drafts. I decided to give the forums a shot. Back then, though, I had not involved myself enough in current events and serious discussions and debates, so I felt intimidated after reading some very intelligent posts. I wasn't sure if I'd actually contribute, so I simply sat by and skimmed a few times a year.

However, this year, now a sophomore in high school, I felt a new, strong urge to share knowledge and improve my speaking and writing skills (planning on traveling the path of law). After the Virginia Tech shootings, I visited Hatrack more and more frequently to see the opinions of others. Then, the forums got taken down and I had to wait. I'm actually pretty glad that I was given the chance to help (especially Papa Moose) as part of my first few posts.

By the way, these are the first forums on which I've had to save incomplete posts in TXT files to complete the next day. Shows how highly I hold them in regard [Smile] .

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

I'm glad your desire to share overcame your intimidation.

After your sophisticated rundown of forum software in the "Welcome back" thread, I'm surprised to learn you're only a sophmore. I'm sure you'll contribute if you stick around.

But don't forget to have fun--it's not all dry debates here.

Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
Morbo, I can't remember when I finally posted something. This month is my 8th year anniversary on Hatract and I still haven't hit 130 post yet!

During my search, I couldn't find a post earlier than 2005. I'm sure if someone looked through the archives, I have a post or two when Hatrack first started. (surely I would have, but I'm not sure)

And I really should change my personal data. I haven't had an AOL account in 8 years either. heh

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Rose, I did the same search and saw 2005 was the earliest. However, it listed only 67 posts and you have 130, so some are missing.

I was just curious.

Roseauthor
Member # 148

Yeah, there was some kinda crash a long time ago, and some people (I believe) had to re-register. I can't remember if they were able to archive the early days of Hatrack. If they were, I believe I may have a few but, again, it was a long time ago and there was less than 200 of us for quite a while.

I just thought I was the better lurker!.. ha ha I've been beaten now!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.