FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Quick grammar question, possible mayfly

Author Topic: Quick grammar question, possible mayfly
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My Japanese coworker asked me to proof read a document (a shipping protocol) she was getting ready to mail. She wrote this sentence:
quote:
The health center would ship specimens to the laboratory.
Which I changed to:
quote:
The health center will ship specimens...
She asked me why I used will instead of would there, and I (being the science type that I am and not a grammarian) could not articulate why would is the wrong word to use in this instance.

How would you language types answer this question?

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an issue of context. Can we see the paragraph?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
^ Precisely what I was going to say.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Will ship/would ship/shall ship/is going to ship" are all different. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
"Would" is conditional. "Will" is future. As in "I will post this," as opposed to "I would post this, except I know Jon Boy will be correcting me almost immediately."
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Either could be the correct form depending on what is meant.

edit: silly people, posting before me.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Simply, "would" does not make the action definite. If you say "will" you are making it clear that this event is 100% going to happen.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't a paragraph, it was a bulleted list describing a future sequence of events.
  • Dept of Health would notify you that a specimen is on the way
  • The patient would deliver the specimen to the clinic
  • The clinic would ship the specimen

She had 5 or 6 sentences like this (I've gone home now and don't have the original document anymore). I suggested she change would to will in all instances, which she did without hesitation, but she wanted to know why "would" was wrong.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Oddly enough, I'd put the whole thing as given in present tense.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the context of the list? Does it start with something like "If blah happened . . ."? Or something like, "Next,"?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
"Would" wouldn't be wrong if all the events were based on some condition.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd make it "DOH notifies you"; "patient delivers"' "clinic ships". But that's just me.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that she was thinking as though the conditional were unstated. "(If you were to choose our company) we would ship specimens to the laboratory." However, in that sort of case, it's considered properly assertive to speak as though they've already chosen your company and already hired you. As a result, "would" sounds tentative rather than confident.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have anything to add, except to note that I obviously have Liz trained well. And I tentatively agree with Tom, but I'd want to see the whole list in context first. Using "would" instead of "will" basically implies that the triggering event (ordering the specimen or whatever) is less likely to happen.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And if the protocol is supposed to have legal effect, I definitely wouldn't use "would."
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
What fugu said. "Would" means this is what would happen under some condition that isn't or wasn't true:

If disease broke out, I would ship specimens.
If disease had broken out, I would have shipped specimens.
If disease were to break out, I would ship specimens.

But if it did break out:

When disease broke out, I shipped specimens. (Past)
When disease breaks out, I ship specimens. (Present, ongoing)

...and if it's in the future and unknown:

If disease breaks out, I will ship specimens.
When disease breaks out -- and I know it's going to -- I will ship specimens.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.