FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » STARCRAFT 2 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: STARCRAFT 2
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I allowed to desire a game that isn't a sequel to anything?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I am.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

From Blizzard specifically, or in general? Arguably, the Blizzard of the last ~13 years has done best with games and concepts that are derivative at the very least, if not directly sequels or games sharing a setting. So looking for new IP from Blizzard may not be in your best interests as a gamer. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

Thats like asking George Lucas to hold off on Return of the Jedi and to give us Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Well OK I love both movies so I guess thats a good thing.

I too would REALLY enjoy to see blizzard take the plunge into a whole new universe, but that is extremely risky, and I don't know if they will.

But hey, here's hopin.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Blizzard's looking for a technical writer. I'm sorely tempted to apply, but most of my material has "CLASSIFIED" written all over it.

Hmmm...

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Scott R:
Blizzard's looking for a technical writer. I'm sorely tempted to apply, but most of my material has "CLASSIFIED" written all over it.

Hmmm...

Do you have to move to Irvine California? Most of their jobs require it.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I would so move to California.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

I would move to CA if they paid me enough.

I meet most of their technical requirements; but I don't have a real passion for video gaming. And I'm not overly fond of the material Blizzard's produced. (No, not even Starcraft, which I found tiresome, or Diablo, which I found to be rather boring after the first three levels.)

I may still apply just to test a resume.

Now, if Bethesda Softworks ever has an opening for a technical writer, you can bet I'll jump on that. I love me some Elder Scrolls.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

If you work for blizzard 5 years, you get an authentic sword in the medieval style. If you work 10 years or perhaps its 15 you get a suit of armor. How can you refuse that?!

Have you played WOW scott? Also, you may not like their games, but Blizzard definately does alot of new things in the world of video games and they are the only company to for at least 15 years, not release a bad game, in fact all their games have done incredibly well.

I've heard the company is a fun one to work for.

But hey, by all means test the waters. You might start out doing technical writing but find yourself doing something else for them down the road.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would move to CA if they paid me enough.
A shame it doesn't pay as well as it should, or I would like. If money wasn't an object, I would have already moved to San Francisco, Irvine, Seattle, Dallas... even Wisconsin. But darn it all that they can't pay me what I'm making now.

And "Honey, do you mind if we take a 60% pay cut so I can go write video games three thousand miles away?" doesn't go over too well...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think CA is the greatest state. It's nice, but it VERY expensive. I'm trying to buy a home within the next 5 years and I can't find a suitable home for less than 350K (3 bed, 2 bath), and that's in Sacramento. A home of that size in San Francisco or Santa Cruz or any other expensive region would be close to or above 1 million.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Since Korea is ahead of us by 18 hours and the event where the new title will be announced should take place sometime between 11:00-1:00am EST thats in just a few hours, I am very psyched!
[The Wave]

Nick
Member # 4311

That's 8-10pm Pacific and it's 4:30 right now. Please God, not a MMORPG, not a MMORPG, not a MMORPG, not a MMORPG, not a MMORPG, not a MMORPG, not a MMORPG...
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 9506

- posted      Profile for 777           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I was just about to post that, but BB beat me to it.

Too bad I won't be here for the announcement--my ward is having an annual "fathers & sons campout" tonight. It's killing me.

Blast you, wholesome social life!

Posts: 292 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

hey even if it is an MMO as long as it is well done and continues the story ill be happy.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
any minute now... the suspense is killing me!
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
hey even if it is an MMO as long as it is well done and continues the story ill be happy.

I won't. As much as I love Starcraft, I just can't don't like MMORPGs.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
Blizzard definately does alot of new things in the world of video games
:shrug:

If you say so. But Starcraft, to me, was Command & Conquer IN SPACE; Diablo was Gauntlet with good graphics and mangled, naked, bodies; and World of Warcraft seems to me to be an unimaginative and restrictive way to role play.

Now, my preference would be to play a game with an exceptional storyline-- or to create a world with no story line at all, but that allows true, complete, REAL player freedom. There's a game...System Shock, I think...that Slash raves about all the time. The game is YEARS old-- something about a computer having killed everyone on a space station, and you, a hacker, are sent to investigate. Jaded, cynical Slash gets revved up for this game.

I want to create something that will make him cry like a little girl every time he plays it.

More than anything, I want to capture the emotion that I feel when I play an RPG. THAT would be innovation; that immersion, that sense of tight characterization, where it actually matters what your character does. Where your character has more options than just fight, sneak, or use magic to overcome difficulties.

Game play innovations are nice, but they're not what I get thrilled about. I get thrilled for stories and for in-game freedom of choice.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

You know that when you go to the domain name www.starcraft2.com it redirects to blizzard.com? That, and the fact that they're announcing in Korea, the Starcraft capital of the universe, seems highly suggestive that it's gonna be Starcraft 2.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Tatiana:
You know that when you go to the domain name www.starcraft2.com it redirects to blizzard.com?

Unless that's changed recently, I don't think that fact actually makes much difference. Even if they intended to never make another starcraft game again, it would make sense for them to hold onto that domain and redirect it back to their main site.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Starcraft II: RTS.

quote:
3:16 - showing space platform environment, land mass floating over planets / nebulae. Showing phoenix units failing to destroy terran battle cruisers - new protoss unit - Warprey - flying unit that does increased damage the longer it hits a target with it's continuous blue laser.

3:15 - Zerglings can mutate into suicidal bomb things thar roll across the ground - very powerful explosions. Colossus using new IK system to move across differences in terraing height. Colossus extremley weak against air strike - New unit for protoss - Pheonix - can overcharge guns for multiple projectile blast - but after blast the ship is rendered inert for a short period.

3:14 - Protoss colossus - huge unit that can blast out dual lasers and use long legs to traverse differences in terrain height - in the demo two of them obliterate about fifty or so zerglings.

3:10 - Terran reapers - can hop across unever terrain with jump packs - two types of small pistols that don't activate immortals. Protoss now have the ability to create shields whereever they want. Protoss can now warp in units from manufacturing facilities anything within pylon range. New protoss unit - stalker - can teleport - quadripedal thing - can keep blinking forward - seems to be a shot cooldown on the ability. Zerg start coming in, giant worms pop out of ground unleasing zerglings. Protoss can use phase fields and teleporting abilities to create an army anywhere on the battlefield, according to Blizzard.

3:09 - controlling protoss zealots - still has psi blades and personal shield - new charge ability that let him quickly close range on enemies. Siege tanks shown - still the same type of behavior where they can lock down - take out zealots really quickly - new protoss unit - called immortals - have special shield that only activates upon being powerfully attacked - siege tanks could barely do any damage to them.

3:07 - Showing gameplay footage - Looks like protoss ships - floating over asteroid/ base structure - entering protoss ase - similar looking buildings - vespene gas still in the game - character pane shows up on right side - some protoss guy - shifts to terran bases floating on rockets over same type of territory - sill collecting crystals as resources - marines load out. Dustin is actually playing the game - nothing in the game is final.

3:05 - Morheim says everyone eager to see actual game - going to show actual gameplay - bringing up SC2 lead designer. Dustin Browder.

3:00 - FMV sequence in a spaceship - looks Terran - zooming in on a metal door - door opening - reveals a guy with a cigar in chains - prisoner - door shuts behind him - there's so much bass the room is shaking - guy steps into some kind of metallic devicce - legs are strapped in - guy rising toward ceiling - Korean text on screen got people very excited - another part of the machine is dropping metal arms on him - machine whirring - applying armor to his torso - extremly detailed visuals here - now guy is strapping on gloves - armor is molding together - seems like a Terran marine - rockets turn on - zerg now onscreen - Marine delivers a line - StarCraft 2 officially announced.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

Excellent. Everyone was pretty sure of either Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2 (except for the people who thought Starcraft MMO, which I never thought to be likely right now). I'm glad to see that Starcraft 2 won out. Given Blizzard's track record, I'm sure it will be amazing, and that we won't actually be seeing it in stores for a couple more years now.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Schweet!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

For all you night owl hatrackers!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUXoekeDIW8
^^ Invitational Video

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/850/850126/imgs_1.html
^^ IGN's massive collection of screenshots.

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

GO GO SC2! I would not be surprised to find out D3 is well in the works come Blizzcon, but then again with Blizzard you never know, they can hold back for a long time.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Neato! Looks pretty much like Starcraft 1 in 3D, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I do hope we can zoom out further in the final version... after ten years, that interface is looking a little cramped.

Anyone have a translation of the dialogue and text in the trailer?

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Text -- Terran Marine status: Active
Dialogue* -- Hell, it's about time

* Matching the slogan on http://blizzard.com/

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Neato! Looks pretty much like Starcraft 1 in 3D
Sure does.

I can even recognize 80% of the units. Hell, the art has barely gotten an upgrade on those Photon cannons have just barely even had an art upgrade.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I think it looks awesome!
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see the gameplay video tomorrow before I judge the art too much. Really, though, for an RTS it just has to look good enough to tell units apart at a glance.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks pretty awesome. I'm sure I'll get it, and I won't be very good [Smile]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a group that has been working on a Starcraft 3D version using the Warcraft III engine, and last I heard, they were more than 20% done but less than 100% done. I wonder if that project spurred Blizzard on a bit???
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

You can now just go to www.starcraft2.com and see both trailers at VERY good quality. There is also some previews of the units and how they look, the protoss units are the only ones up for preview as of now. But there is alot more I have not had a chance to look at.
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

ah ya someone change thread title now [Big Grin]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I looked at all of it, and it seems very cool, what they have up so far. I am so glad it's sc2, and that it's going to be an RTS and not an RPG. [Smile]
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not gonna lie, it looks pretty sweet.

I'm also happy that the graphics aren't so jacked up so my comp can actually handle the game lol.

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Alucard...:
There is a group that has been working on a Starcraft 3D version using the Warcraft III engine, and last I heard, they were more than 20% done but less than 100% done. I wonder if that project spurred Blizzard on a bit???

I don't know, cease and desist letters are much easier to write than games.
Nick
Member # 4311

[Party]
Yes! They didn't ruin the series with another WORTHLESS MMORPG!

I was really worried about that.

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
In true Blizzard form, SC1 will remain playable via Battle.net after SC2 launches.

The trailer was extremely pretty, if somewhat silly. I have a sinking feeling I'm going to be disappointed by this game: it looks to be what Warcraft III was to Warcraft II.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I liked Warcraft 3...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You can obviously see what race is what, and even the units look pretty damned similar to their old counterparts, but I hope that this game is more than just an artistic upgrade, otherwise that'd be unfortunate, and I doubt I'd pay much to get it. (edit to add: while some of the units are identical to older units with 3D treatment, some of them also look brand new. If the story is new and good, and the graphics good enough, and the gameplay updated, I think it's totally worth getting)

I'm also concerned about what the system requirements are. My laptop is a year old, and already newer games are beyond me, and that's with a gig of RAM and a 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics card, which at the time was the best they made for laptops. So maybe I won't be able to play it at all.

But I look forward to seeing more, any news on a release date?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
I'm also concerned about what the system requirements are. My laptop is a year old, and already newer games are beyond me, and that's with a gig of RAM and a 256MB nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics card, which at the time was the best they made for laptops. So maybe I won't be able to play it at all.
From what I'm hearing, they're making the graphics extremely scalable, specifically so users with older computers can play, while the people with bleeding edge hardware will be able to utilize ultrapretty DirectX 10 benefits and highly detailed models, etc. etc. You might not be out of the running, although once the game is released, who knows what the new technology benchmarks will loook like. There's also going to be a logical lower limit on how crappy you can make the graphics to accommodate older computers, given the huge number of 3d models rendered in any (edit: modern) RTS game.

No release date info yet. Edit: I'm betting on an announced Q2 2008 release, and an actual Q4 2009 release.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Man, you got it made. I still got a 2ghz Pentium 4 with only 256MB of DDR RAM and a 128MB nVidia GeForce FX 5600.

Do you really think they're going to release it at a least a year from now?

*pulls hair out*

erosomniac
Member # 6834

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
Man, you got it made. I still got a 2ghz Pentium 4 with only 256MB of DDR RAM and a 128MB nVidia GeForce FX 5600.

*pulls hair out*

All I can say is: Diablo 2.

Edit: also, assuming you don't buy a monitor, you could easily put together a top shelf core 2 duo system with 2 gigs of RAM and a 512 meg geforce 7950 for under $600, which I imagine will be more than sufficient to play SC2 with decent graphic settings.

SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly the graphics don't look that much better than Warcraft III's it's just that there will definitely be more units on screen. My old TNT 1 Pentium 3 550 MHZ computer could play Warcraft 3 fine, so I don't think you guys need to worry at all.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

quote:
Originally posted by Nick:

Given Blizzard's track record in the past, I'd say that there will easily be a year wait.
Nick
Member # 4311

[Wall Bash]
Can't...wait...that...long...

erosomniac
Member # 6834

Meh, give it a month, you'll have forgotten about it entirely until the next promotion campaign launches.
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh nuts, I loved Starcraft as much as anybody but I really set on the idea of a third Diablo. I'm glad it's coming out but I'm going to let this one pass by.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

there are enough Diablo clones as there is.
Nick
Member # 4311

I would have been happy with Diablo 3, but I wonder, how could the storyline continue?

Diablo didn't really die, Blizzard had to invent some magic story again, like the soulstones.

eh...

Starcraft's universe is ripe for continuation, so I think Blizzard made a wise choice in making this game. I think it looks cool.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.