FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Rev. Jerry Falwell dies at 73 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rev. Jerry Falwell dies at 73
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The Rev. Jerry Falwell, who founded the Moral Majority and built the religious right into a political force, died Tuesday shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University, a school executive said. He was 73. (link)
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I always had very mixed emotions about Rev. Falwell. I shall just leave it at rest in peace.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't miss him, I hope that if someday I understand that man completely that I will be forced to see him in a better light.

I hope he finds himself in good favor with the Lord he purported to serve.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I shall just leave it at rest in peace.
No kidding. Can you imagine a zombie Falwell?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so sad....
I did not agree with him, but it's still sad..

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sad about this too. He seemed to be in good health, but it looks like it was a heart attack, and you can't see those coming.

Rest in peace, brother.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Well. I wonder if things are as he expected them to be?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Well. I wonder if things are as he expected them to be?

I am sure the flying spaghetti monster will welcome him with open arms.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Open tentacles?
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Heretics! Open noodly appendages. You shall burn for this. And by that I mean have a lot of red pepper flakes on your next pasta meal.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

quote:
Originally posted by Uprooted:
Open tentacles?

Open appendages
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Heretics! Open noodly appendages. You shall burn for this. And by that I mean have a lot of red pepper flakes on your next pasta meal.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo </vader>
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as he can't hurt anyone else...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that took about as long as I would've expected.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

I was hoping for longer.
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say he's reaping what he sowed.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I did not like the man.

I too, will leave it at that.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
quote:
I shall just leave it at rest in peace.
No kidding. Can you imagine a zombie Falwell?
Immune to criticals? [Angst]
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, but if you hold up a pink triangle and sing YMCA you can Turn Undead him.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but he's gotta be a pretty high-level cleric by this point. I hope you have a good CHA score.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
My feelings are nuetral on the guy. He supported many things I do, and he supported many things I can't stomach. With that said:

What would you say if he was correct about his religious and moral views?

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

I would say that God wasn't the all loving guy the Jesus made him out to be.
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if some of the heavy evangelists are right, I don't wanna go to that heaven.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't believe that Jesus made God the all loving guy everyone seems to make him out to be. Although, that is a discussion I don't have time to explain in more detail.

By the way, if Falwell is correct that doesn't put me into a comfortable position either.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
In the CNN article about his passing, I have found proof that there is a God of some sort:
quote:
One week before his death, Falwell told CNN's Christiane Amanpour he needed at least 20 more years to accomplish his vision for Liberty University.

Falwell told the story of Hezekiah, who in the Bible asked to live for 15 more years.

"I'm praying the same prayer with an option to renew," Falwell said.

And He/She/It (they?) has a great flare for comedic irony.

ETA: Not that I have any particular feelings about his life or death, that I'm aware of. I don't think death is necessarily a sad thing, especially for the person who dies, though it's hard to lose someone you love or admire.

[ May 15, 2007, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
In the CNN article about his passing, I have found proof that there is a God of some sort:
quote:
One week before his death, Falwell told CNN's Christiane Amanpour he needed at least 20 more years to accomplish his vision for Liberty University.

Falwell told the story of Hezekiah, who in the Bible asked to live for 15 more years.

"I'm praying the same prayer with an option to renew," Falwell said.

And He/She/It (they?) has a great flare for comedic irony.

That's irony all right...as I always expected.

I'm not glad the guy's dead. And the damage he's done to some people, and to our reputation as a group, isn't going to be fixed by this (or by anything). But at least it's over.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
God rest him. Give him peace, and give peace to his family.

The tone of this thread makes me happy. All the other places they were discussing this with glee, whether overt or outright--and it rather disgusted me. I'd forgotten why I love Hatrack so much.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mabus:
I'm not glad the guy's dead. And the damage he's done to some people, and to our reputation as a group, isn't going to be fixed by this (or by anything). But at least it's over.

That captures my reaction pretty neatly. Thanks.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like him, and I didn't like his views or how he expressed them.

But I'm glad that now he has his answer.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not glad the guy's dead. And the damage he's done to some people, and to our reputation as a group, isn't going to be fixed by this (or by anything). But at least it's over. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I never rejoice at anyones death, no matter how i may feel about the idividual. I myself am a christian and hope to one day become a pastor. With that said, I was not a big fan of his, or anyone that gets caught up on political issues rather than working to help others.

I have very strong beliefs on certain issues, but one of those is to love your neighbor AND your enemy as yourself. Its ok to believe others are wrong but a christian is supossed to respect others, even when they are not respected in return. I would much rather try to support my cause by overwelming others with love than bashing them with hate.

Rest in peace Rev. I believe you tried, for better or worse.

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

quote:
Originally posted by Joldo:
The tone of this thread makes me happy. All the other places they were discussing this with glee, whether overt or outright--and it rather disgusted me. I'd forgotten why I love Hatrack so much.

I will try to accentuate the positive as you have done, rather than be sad about the glee that I do see over a family's misfortune. Most of us here, it seems, are expressing sympathy rather than glee.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Oh, I don't know, the glee is right there under the surface, Qaz. It's really not very difficult to see.

Not that I'm faulting anyone for that in particular-being happy someone is dead, I'm just pointing out that it's there, and ill-concealed in some cases.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My best guess is that he understands better now - just as we all will when we come face to face.

May he rest in peace.

[ May 16, 2007, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: kmbboots ]

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

(Yes, Rakeesh, and I'm trying not to see it!) :<
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I never liked him. But I won't celebrate his passing. That's unkind. The only person's death in recent memory that made me think "Finally!" (as well as other meaner thoughts) was Saddam Hussein.

According to MSNBC Falwell was the White House "defacto Executive Director of Domestic and Global Policy."

http://folkbum.blogspot.com/2007/05/former-milwaukee-anchor-all-growed-up.html

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roseauthor
Member # 148

- posted      Profile for Roseauthor   Email Roseauthor         Edit/Delete Post 
There should never be a rejoicing over a person's death for personal gain. If you rejoice, it should and only should be because that person has moved on to a better place (by your belief)

I grieve for his family, and his friends. They will miss him.

Whether I agreed with all his ideas or idealisms is a not an issue. The man moved the world for a time and that's more than 99.9 percent of the human population can can say! Good, bad or indifferent, he lived what he believed and altered the world!

Posts: 163 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it wrong to feel peace at another's passing? I don't think so.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever I personally thought of him in life is irrelevant during his passing. I'll just say that he should rest in peace. I harbor no ill will to the dead, and I don't personally ever celebrate the death of a human being.

The analysis of his life's work, however, is more than relevant. I don't even really need to say much, I think. A pro-apartheid, anti-civil rights, virulently homophobic, aggressively bigoted man who devoted his life to essentially making life worse for a lot of people by propagating his intolerance, has died. The commentary writes itself.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Whatever I personally thought of him in life is irrelevant during his passing. I'll just say that he should rest in peace. I harbor no ill will to the dead, and I don't personally ever celebrate the death of a human being.

The analysis of his life's work, however, is more than relevant. I don't even really need to say much, I think. A pro-apartheid, anti-civil rights, virulently homophobic, aggressively bigoted man who devoted his life to essentially making life worse for a lot of people by propagating his intolerance, has died. The commentary writes itself.

*laugh* Oh come now Samp, who do you think you're kidding? The commentary didn't write itself, you just wrote it, and left many things clearly thought and implied but unsaid.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*laugh* Oh come now Samp, who do you think you're kidding?
Nobody, mang. He made himself out to be just the man he was. The historical record left no doubt.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

But you don't harbor any ill-will towards a man who was "...pro-apartheid, anti-civil rights, virulently homophobic, aggressively bigoted man who devoted his life to essentially making life worse for a lot of people by propagating his intolerance...", right?

C'mon, your words make it pretty clear you despised the man, and that you're glad or at least relieved he's dead.

Which is fine with me, honestly. What gets my goat is the pretense of courtesy and tolerance.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

errr...How do those words make it clear he despised him?

They are accurate descriptions. Can you not accurately describe someone who has done bad things without despising them?

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Well, the 'commentary writes itself' remark after the incomplete (unless you think that's ALL he was) description is one thing that makes it pretty clear to me.

quote:
Can you not accurately describe someone who has done bad things without despising them?
Sure you can, if they were just 'bad' things. "Johnny sometimes drank to excess" or "Jane was a litterbug" are bad things. Being a very powerful bigoted hate-monger who made life worse for others isn't just a 'bad' thing, it's a horrible thing, an awful thing.

Given the said-but-unsaid 'commentary', I have an extremely difficult time believing that Samp doesn't despise him.

Krankykat
Member # 2410

- posted      Profile for Krankykat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They are accurate descriptions.
Those are opinions, Squick.
Posts: 1221 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I despised Falwell, but I'm not relieved he's dead mainly because I think he became irrelevant about five years ago.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I suspect that may be a problem with you, not one with Samp then. I don't think you've got the perspective to be calling him a liar.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Which of them krank? All of them, or only specific ones?
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

*shrug* Mr. Squicky, you have at many points in the past made personal character judgements about people just as harsh as the one I'm making here (and before you ask, no, I'm not going to mine Hatrack and find them).

Samp is welcome to claim he doesn't harbor ill will or despise the man. Given his other statements, though, I just don't believe him if he says that. When someone tells me that person A is a horrible, awful person who made life worse for many people around him, who was a hateful man...yeah, I think they despise that person, as a rule.

I've met and spoken with very few (I could count them on one hand) people in my lifetime who could truthfully not despise someone like that.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

quote:
I've met and spoken with very few (I could count them on one hand) people in my lifetime who could truthfully not despise someone like that.
I imagine that's not close to being true, but if it is, I feel very sorry for you.

To me, this is something that most adults worthy of the name are capable of doing. You may have a different perspective if you hung out with a more mature crowd.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Rakeesh, I pretty much agree with what Samp said, and I don't despise Falwell nor am I glad he's dead. I think, intellectually, he did a lot of harm in the world, but he's so far removed from me that I have little to no emotional response to him at all. For me to despise him, I would have to know him personally or at least what he has done would have to have directly harmed me or those I hold dear. So I don't think there was anything disingenuous about Samp's post, and your attack on him frankly baffles me. Say he's being rude if you want, but I don't see where you get off saying he's not being honest.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.