FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Dark is Rising- First photos released!

Author Topic: The Dark is Rising- First photos released!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
The big screen adaptation of Susan Cooper's dark fantasy classic...

Hmmm. Mixed feelings. This definitely confirms the film won't be a period piece.

And movieWill is a -lot- skinnier than bookWill. What, are they saying plump boys can't save the world? [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Chris Ecclestone really looks the part there. I'm still keeping hopeful about this movie.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sad he's not the stocky lil' farm boy, that was my favorite part about Will :-/ But he's got a face that seems it could be that of an Old One, so maybe I'll forgive him his skinny [Wink]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, things never live up to the picture of them in your head when they make the movie, do they?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snail
Member # 9958

- posted      Profile for Snail   Email Snail         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least it's a non-evil blonde boy! That's got to count...

Somehow I'm not as enthusiastic about this movie than I am of, say, the upcoming His Dark Materials film. I don't know, my image of these books is much less extravagant than your standard Hollywood spectacle.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more annoyed by Merriman (Ian McShane) than Will. Not exactly a craggy face with a beak-like nose. And I'd always imagined Merriman with white hair.

My expectations are pretty low, despite Walden's good track record.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
I never did manage to get ahold of all of these books. I was given <I>The Grey King</i> by someone who didn't know there was a series.

Sounds interesting, at least.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an excellent series, one of my childhood (and thus, still) favourites.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't really comment on his girth, because I'm built like a twig. But he does look like he could fit the part, even if he looks clueless in some of the photos. I guess I'll dig up the books again, and maybe I'll go see the movie when it comes out.
Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Hmmm, things never live up to the picture of them in your head when they make the movie, do they?

Not really, no. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
And I'd always imagined Merriman with white hair.

bookMerriman has white hair. It's mentioned several times.

And yeah...I always imagined more of an Alan Rickman-type for the actor. Hawk-featured. Stern, yet capable of warmth.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by Snail:
I don't know, my image of these books is much less extravagant than your standard Hollywood spectacle.

Herne and the Wild Hunt alone will make for spectacle.

To say nothing of the River Thames flooding.

MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Merriman's all different, too. I like the pictures in my head better [Smile]

Though I'd be excited to hear their interpretation of the "music of the light" and what that sounds like. It's such a good story it'll be hard to ruin it.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
It's such a good story it'll be hard to ruin it.

That's what I thought about Ella Enchanted. [Frown]

Though, I do trust Walden Media. [Cool]

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Man, I hope that Harry Knowles is being his usual unreliable self. His set report on the film makes it sound like the film is more focused on Will experiencing puberty angst than the Quest for the Signs.

(It's bad enough that his one of his older brothers have been remade into an emo goth type.)

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Man, I hope that Harry Knowles is being his usual unreliable self. His set report on the film makes it sound like the film is more focused on Will experiencing puberty angst than the Quest for the Signs.

(It's bad enough that his one of his older brothers have been remade into an emo goth type.)

This is also my greatest concern about the various AICN reports. Max? Emo?? I really hope they don't neglect Stephen, though. That was always my favorite (familial) relationship for Will to have.

And actually, I'm a lot more excited for this than for HDM. I'm not sure why.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.