FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.

Author Topic: Before Sunrise and Before Sunset.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have two new favorite movies. I finished watching Before Sunset, and I'm touched. Two movies, nine years apart, but Celine is charming in the first and Jesse is a bit of a dude for my liking, in the second movie, Celine is fantastic and Jesse has matured to a decent man. They are talky movies with genuinely darling people. *touched*
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved them to. Proves that all you need is good dialog to make a good movie.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have so much respect for those two movies. It couldn't have been easy to plug the movie as "a love story that's all dialogue". Linklater is so original. These movies remind me that the really important parts of life are the ones you spend with other people, having real interactions.

And I love the song she sings at the end of the second one.

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

I haven't seen Waking Life yet, but the characters are supposed to be in it.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
Waking Life gives me a headache.
Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Waking Life.

I also love these two. But for me, Before Sunset is far and away the better and more interesting film.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
Before Sunset is adorable. I like the way Jesse matured and how that maturity is directly related to the actions in the first movie, and I love the way Celine has grown into the coolest broad in the world. I hear the young girls pine over Mr. Darcy, but you can give me Celine in "Before Sunset" anytime.

[ May 17, 2007, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Irami Osei-Frimpong ]

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I like both Befores for different reasons, although at this point in my life Sunset resonates much more strongly.

Sunrise, however, is such a perfect exploration of two people falling in lust and love, and how two intelligent people can connect through words. Because of this, i'm hesitant to say i think Sunset is *better,* or even necessarily more interesting.

I think Sunrise would touch the heart of someone just experiencing the emotions that Jesse and Celine do in the film, and the things they talk about, while not as mature or intelligent as someone with ten more years on them, are pertinent to their age and place in time.

Sunset is much more rewarding and fulfilling, especially if you, yourself, are more mature and can relate to the things they are upset and/or happy about. It's a more adult film, with more adult problems, but i don't think it outshines its predecessor. It simply seems more pertinent to those who have been where both the characters are, or is starting to ask those questions.

It's like saying Return of the King is better than Fellowship. Yeah, it might have a stronger resolution, and you get to see the characters at their best and their strongest, but that doesn't negate the paths they took to get there. [Smile]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Return isn't better than Fellowship. So your point is moot.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
your FACE is moot.

i said it's like that.

And someone tried to fight me on that the other day and we almost came to blows. Concerning Hobbits, people! Concerning Hobbits.

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

Return of the King is by far the best of the trilogy, when that movie ended it was all finally over!
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Before Sunset, but I haven't seen Before Sunrise.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Fellowship was the best. All the others had bad writing and acting.
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved Before Sunrise, but it was dangerous for me to watch because it made me want to quit my job and go back to backpacking Europe.

Before Sunset was great, but it made me want to hang myself.

Just sayin.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched Before Sunrise on tv a long, long time ago. When I was a young teenager, anyways. It had a lasting impact on me, turning me into a real romantic. It help an almost mythical place in my life - sometimes I wasn't even sure if I remembered the name of the movie correctly. It became a vague, far away, warm memory, half forgotten.

I sat in the theatre watching Before Sunset, and rarely have I ever been so rapt watching a movie. I was in the same place as the characters - 10 years older, at a different place in my life. It was surreal and beautiful.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who found Before Sunset incredibly depressing? I kept expecting the closing credits to tell me my dog died, too, just to cap the whole thing off.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

It was tragic. Jesse's final decision, because there was a wife and kid involved, was both sacred and profane.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.