FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So much emotion...

Author Topic: So much emotion...
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite two weeks ago, my son graduated from college. He was the valedictorian for his class, and I am still processing the emotions of that day. It was truly one of those moments that we parents dream and hope for all of our lives, without ever knowing for sure that they'll happen. I'm so proud there are no words.

Two days after I returned home from the celebration, my son called to tell me that a close family friend had been killed in Iraq. Blake lived next door to us for nearly 10 years. We lived in a very small community very close knit community - there were 7 families on our private lane. Blake's father was my bishop and his mother was one of my closest friends. It's incredible to think that he's gone. I haven't seen him since before I moved to Maui in 2001, but I've kept in touch with his parents, and see them whenever I go back to visit my daughters who still live in the area.

I've been juggling the joy and pride I'm still feeling about my son and his accomplishments with the knowledge that my dear friends are suffering such a loss.

When I read this article (WBC has announced that they plan to picket Blake's funeral on Saturday) in today's paper, I nearly threw up. I do not understand how people can be so filled with hate, especially after the incredible outpouring of love and support that the Stephens family has received from the people of Pocatello. I've been reading everything I can and watching all of the online videos available. The Boys Scouts and chamber of commerce put up a memorial of flags every 12 feet along the road between Blake's school and the Stephens' home. The procession between the airport and the funeral home was joined by over 300 vehicles and the streets were lined with members of the community.

I've been meaning to write something about these two events for several days, but the emotions, both good and bad, have been too raw. Today's news story spurred me into action.

I don't have anything profound to share or anything particularly insightful, but I wanted to share my joy, my sorrow and my outrage with you all. [The Wave] [Cry] [Mad]

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Oy. [Frown] [Smile] :?
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
In December president Bush signed a bill to address this. Read up on it and make sure you know what your late friend's rights are when it comes to a burial.

I'm sorry that somebody feels they must express their religiously justified qualms at such a solemn occasion. If the WBC does indeed come to protest, make sure you are there to support the family of this dead soldier. Emotions will probably run high and cool heads need to prevail.

Make sure they are exactly 100 meters back and not one centimeter closer. My deepest condolences to you and the family.

edit: also my sincerest congratulations to your son on such an important achievment!

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend the funeral - since I just took time off for my son's graduation, I have neither the time nor the means to travel again. My daughters and my son will represent me at the viewing on Friday and the funeral, and I've sent flowers and a card.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't there a group that protests the protesters? I understood that they show up (upon an invitation from the family) and they block the funeral party's view of the WBC. I can't remember where I read that.

It's a shame that this group feels the need to protest their feelings against homosexuality in such a irreverent way.

Congratulations about your son! Yet my condolances for your and your friend's loss.

Edit: I found a link to the Counter Protests to the WBC

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your friends' loss, and even more so that WBC is planning to be there. What a horrible hateful thing to do.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aretee:
Isn't there a group that protests the protesters? I understood that they show up (upon an invitation from the family) and they block the funeral party's view of the WBC. I can't remember where I read that.

It's a shame that this group feels the need to protest their feelings against homosexuality in such a irreverent way.

Congratulations about your son! Yet my condolances for your and your friend's loss.

WBC protests military funerals because they believe that wrapping the coffin in a flag and burying the soldier with a folded flag are forms of idolatry. They believe the flag in that instance is being worshiped rather then the living God. It really has nothing to do with homosexuality, just FYI.

edit: Apparently there is an element of homosexual protest in their actions, they believe our soldiers are dying because our country tolerates homosexuality. So color me corrected.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aretee
Member # 1743

- posted      Profile for aretee   Email aretee         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, BlackBlade. I was not aware of that.

I must be mixing up a number of their beliefs.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a group of Harley riders that protests the protesters. I think I've mentioned them before on this forum. The sound of many engines being revved may not sound appealing for a funeral, but if it drowns out vile and hateful speech I think it'd be worth it. I think they're called Freedom Riders or something like that.

Congratulations for your son, and my condolences on your loss. I grew up about an hour away from Pocatello, so it definitely hits close to home.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

I understand that the Patriot Guard will be in Pocatello as well, but I cannot find the source where I read that this morning.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by aretee:
Thank you, BlackBlade. I was not aware of that.

I must be mixing up a number of their beliefs.

See my edit.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
look like the patriot guard riders will be present to counter-protest
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
This is very difficult -- I am in my office crying now, and I have to go teach in 15 minutes. I cannot believe the protest, and I am so thankful for the counter-protest.

Edited to add: I don't know why this one hit me so hard, but it did.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*

Maui, you must be so proud of your boy!

I'm really sorry this happened to your friends. My heart goes out to them.

CT-I'd call you, but I can't find your office number. *hugs*

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

Precisely CT. I've been trying to find an email or some way to contact the Patriot Guard to thank them for helping these grieving families.

Yes, Olivet. I'm very very proud. My son is an exceptional young man. He was a champion wrestler before he went to college - it was an athletic scholarship that got him to the school he graduated from, but his brains that kept him there. After his first year, his athletic scholarship was converted to an academic one, with more benefits. I helped him very slightly his first year, but he worked (first in retail, then as a tutor and in the school computer lab) and supported himself the entire 4 years, all while continuing to wrestle.

He started a part time job with a software firm in silicon valley back in February and they picked him up full time this week.

I think I need a bigger word than "proud".

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.