FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is a dobie?

Author Topic: What is a dobie?
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it any thread deliberately created to have a title very similar to an existing thread, or is it something more specific?
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Drug dealers use this board. They create dobies to let us know when they have something for sale. They make them humorous to throw off the moderator.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobies started with a poster with that nick who would write threads with titles very nearly like others. It used to be that there was a link of related interest that paradied the original one.

There was an incident where Dobie "flashed" the Forum with several threads at once, causing system problems. Dobie was quickly banned.

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Dobie's just this guy, you know?
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember him, everybody thought he spelled the Harry Potter character "Dobby" wrong.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't a dobie usually include a link?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Drug dealers use this board. They create dobies to let us know when they have something for sale. They make them humorous to throw off the moderator.

Erratum: that would be for the thread "What is a doobie?"
Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Val, it should.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
A dobie is an abomination before God.

Except when I make one. Then it's funny.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick:
I remember him, everybody thought he spelled the Harry Potter character "Dobby" wrong.

Actually, Dobie's sn predated the HP character Dobby.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
A dobie
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have thought that this was obvious. Since it isn't, this is a Dobie.

Sheesh. Am I the only old one around here?

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"A dobie is an abomination before God.

Except when I make one. Then it's funny."

Actually, that is, in fact, a very important part of most dobies. "I", in the quoted statement, meaning "the person making the dobie." IMHO.

[ May 19, 2007, 12:53 AM: Message edited by: steven ]

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
a dobie is a claylike material that was used in parts of the southwestern us and mexico to construct houses.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.