FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » R.I.P. Lloyd Alexander

Author Topic: R.I.P. Lloyd Alexander
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Lloyd Alexander, author of the award-winning Chronicles of Prydain series as well as numerous other novels died last Thursday at age 83. [Frown]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loren
Member # 9539

- posted      Profile for Loren   Email Loren         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the news this morning. It's sad, but he sure left a great legacy of fun books. He's the reason I got into fantasy, both reading and writing. And as a grad student of literature, I've read a lot of great works, but The High King has been my favorite book since I was about 10.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved those books. A lot.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I thought he was dead before I was born.

I personally loved Taran Wanderer.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
He was an amazing writer. I can't remember which of my friends (or maybe it was someone one Hatrack) wrote him a fan letter which he very kindly replied to.

His books definitely made up part of who I am today.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...he changed the way I viewed writing, and in some ways the world.

I cried reading The High King...and I was in my mid/late teens.

mph...Taran Wanderer is one of my all time favorite books too.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
I was so hooked on his books between 4th and 6th grades. I wrote a piano piece, named it after Taran, and sent him a tape of it. He sent me a very gracious response. What a great guy. What a great writer.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] That's very sad indeed. I loved his books as a kid, and I still love them. I juct checked one I hadn't read out of the library yesterday.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
My son really enjoys the Prydain Chronicles. This is sad.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] I've been reading the Prydain books recently and have been happy to find they still hold up well. Taran Wanderer is one of my faves too.
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote about Taran Wanderer for my high school honors English application. I got in.

I also thought he'd died before I was born.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] Such a great series of books. I want to re-read them...
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

He had a new book come out every several years or so. I remember as a High School kid back in the 90s being delighted to read his latest stuff.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea he was still alive! RIP, Lloyd. I'll have to re-read some of him in his honor.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Time Cat.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
He was pretty much what got me into fantasy when I was younger. I haven't re-read the Prydain Chronicles in a while. Now might be a good time.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto on what most of you have been saying here...

RIP Lloyd

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I read The Black Cauldron in 5th grade, and it was OK but I wonder if perhaps it just rubbed me the wrong way at that age. Perhaps I should give Mr. Alexander another try.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Well start with The Book of Three. The Black Cauldron was the second book in the series.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
For those who only know Alexander from the Pyrdain Chronicles, I highly recommend:

The Westmark Trilogy
The First Two Lives of Lukas-Kasha

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I'd suggest The Iron Ring and The Remarkable Journey of Prince Jen.
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
The book of three... That was the first fantasy I read that wasn't written by Tolkien or Lewis... I didn't finish it, because I thought it was weird. But, I think I'll give it another try. I've read a lot more fantasy now, and I'll probably read it and think that it's brilliant. It's happened before.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the views above. I loved the High King Series, Taran Wanderer and The High King in particular.

Taran Wanderer is a wonderful book and the High King is the only book I have cried at while reading. The last two chapters are so moving.

I would love to see them make a real movie series out of these books.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.