FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Laptop bags

Author Topic: Laptop bags
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I will soon be trading in my faded, grotty old backpack from my school days for something more professional looking. I will need something that can carry a small [15'] laptop and few other things. A portfolio, a couple of books, a small MP3 player and maybe an umbrella

I think I'd prefer a messenger-style bag, but would consider a backpack. It needs to be black, durable and very plain looking (and not leather) and reasonably waterproof (or water resistant in that the insides won't get soaked if it's exposed to rain for 3-5 minutes). Professional but not expensive looking.

I've poked around a few places, and I'm amazed by how huge of a price range there is for this sort of thing.

Anyone want to help me navigate through the options.

I would like:

a) feedback on what options are a must (or nice) to have [and esp. what to stay away from] and
b) any specific recommendations that fit in the $40-90 range [although I might be convinced to go up to $120]

If I had the money, I'd go for the WT Vertical Messenger, but I'd like something cheaper. I don't need a brand name. I don't need something fancy. As long as it is of good quality and professional looking, it's good.

Thanks.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
I would recommend going to a local luggage store and just looking at the options. There are all kinds of different features (types of pockets, types of straps, how the laptop goes in, etc). All which are personal preference.

eBags has a bunch of bags for a good price. They also have a nice search option, that lets you pick price ranges, etc.

I don't know your gender, but there are quite a few nice women's bags too.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xtownaga
Member # 7187

- posted      Profile for xtownaga   Email xtownaga         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a very good experience with the targus bag that came with a used laptop I got years ago. It's old enough they don't still make that particular case, but this looks like more or less the new version of it. Other than that I don't really have any advice, that bag has worked well enough for me that I've really never looked into anything else.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
When I had a 15" laptop, I had this bag. I loved it.

I have not gone to a bigger bag since I got my 17" laptop. I have a sachel bag that came with it and it kills my shoulder.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

That's a good idea, Chanie. I do plan on doing it, but I like to investigate before I go into the store because I have found that sometimes luggage stores only cater to specific styles and/or price ranges. Same is true with some sports stores -- like REI.

Thanks xtow and borjack -- I had never heard of Targus. They offer a lot of different options. I'll have to find a store that stocks a lot of examples from their line.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

I found the one I liked on-line then e-bayed it. I think I saved about $20-25.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Timbuk2 bags may be out of your price range, I'm not sure. However I've had one for 4 years and love it (no rips or tears). You can get them in all black and they're waterproof. A lot of people in my department (computer science) have them and seem to like them. I bought mine without the laptop option because I just have a nice padded sleeve for my laptop.

I specifically like them because they don't scream laptop bag.

http://www.timbuk2.com/

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Oooh. Cool. I may have to move up into the $80 range because I also want room for a couple of books and other reading/writing materials. It seems like a lot of those in the $40-60 range don't have much room books.

I like the Timbuk2's the Blogger -- but what a silly name (even if I am one).

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have friends who like these. Although the site drives me nuts. I have a small bag of theirs as a purse and it's also quite nice.

http://www.crumplerbags.com/

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that site is cute, but it's basically textbook for being completely unusable and for what happens when you hand the site over to the graphic designer.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Totally agree with that, kat. At first I couldn't even figure out how to find the bags -- I had to open up the pdf version of the catalog.
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was going to suggest the one I have - my fiancee and I both have one actually - but I can't seem to find it anymore. It's a Western Pack 15" laptop bag with just enough room for everything you mentioned. I bought them both on ebay from this seller, but they don't seem to be carrying it anymore.

Anyway, if you can find one from a reputable seller, it fits your price range (I think it was about $40). It's very durable and has worked great for me over the past year.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had great success with eBags and Targus, both of which were already mentioned.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.eclipsesolargear.com/messengerbags.asp

Hee hee hee.

I have one of these. A little out of your price ($129) range and kinda heavy. I won mine in a contest rather recently, and tomorrow will the the first chance I have to really test it out..

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Targus has been good to me and my brother-in-law, but I can't say I've sampled a wide range.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Thanks everybody.

I'm going to look very closely at Targus. There are some funky, fun bags out there. I'm going to play it pretty conservative, though. Targus and Timbuk2* are at the top of the list so far**.

I also came to the realization that if I am indeed willing to spend up to $80-90, I could go with a normal bag and use a laptop sleeve. I'm pretty careful with my stuff, and it might be nice to be able to have a lighter-style bag to use when I don't have the laptop.

* I paid close attention to people's bags on BART last night. I made the same observation that I have already made with jackets/coats. Men suck at choosing bags and jackets. Even if they're normal work outfits are well put together, they have jackets and bags that are way too casual or funky or are of poor quality [and meanwhile they have expensive phones and laptops so they could afford the good stuff] or are just lame.

** Although I haven't given up hope of figuring out how I can justify a Tom Bihn.

brojack17
Member # 9189

quote:
Originally posted by Zalmoxis:
* I paid close attention to people's bags on BART last night. I made the same observation that I have already made with jackets/coats. Men suck at choosing bags and jackets. Even if they're normal work outfits are well put together, they have jackets and bags that are way too casual or funky or are of poor quality [and meanwhile they have expensive phones and laptops so they could afford the good stuff] or are just lame.

Some of us just don't care much for styling. I grew up at the low end of economic scale. We only got name brand clothes at Christmas (usually one or two pair or Levi's). I knew I would never fit in with the preppy crowd, so I didn't try. With the measured success I have had in my adult life has afforded me the opportunity to have nicer things. Style still does not matter to me though. Function does. My wife can not stand it (she is a clothes horse). I want a nice looking bag, but the function of it is much more important. I didn't like the two piece bag because it takes two steps to get the laptop in/out. The simple backpack was unzip and go.
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also a fan of the Timbuk2 bags.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I grew up at the low end of economic scale too, brojack17. In my house the knee patches on Toughskins jeans weren't just for style -- and were sometimes replaced.

I'm all for not paying for something that's expensive just because of the label. I'm also very, very into functionality. What I tend to want (in everything -- clothes, shoes, bags, kitchen stuff, electronics) are products that are well-made from quality materials, not expensive and combine nice, clean lines and design and are available in basic colors.

What I hate is that it seems like it is more and more difficult to find that sort of thing. The high end stuff is way too expensive -- and often too fussy (or even surprisingly -- from cheaper materials than it should be) and the mid-range stuff gets all funky with the details and/or the options because I guess that's supposed to make up for not being high-end. And the cheap stuff is just cheap. I don't mind doing cheap for some things, but I like to buy things that I will use until they wear out (hopefully 5-20 years from time of purchase).

It's frustrating. I am willing to shop at Walmart, Marshall's, Target, JC Pennys and even up to Macys. Most of my wardrobe these days comes from Costco.

So anyway, I guess I'm saying that I don't bag on functionality at all. I just don't understand why so many things for men have that extra styling [buttons or piping or oddly colored panel or added seams or weird texture to the material] that just doesn't look that great.

Of course, that's simply a reflection of my aesthetic, but I get the sense that the trappings are there to distract from poor design/construction.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I can give Targus a big thumbs up on quality. My laptop bag is still in great shape after 10 years. For the last year and a half I haven't used it much, but, prior to that, I used it every single day to commute to work or to go to law school. It fit two casebooks plus the laptop and accessories easily.

It was a basic black model with no styling whatsoever. Reinforced straps, strong, easy zippers.

I haven't used them recently, but based on my experience, I'll start with them next time I need a laptop bag.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am making my own. Crocheted and felted with leftover yarn.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Thanks, Dag.

And: that's cool kmbboots -- what color(s)? I would guess crocheting and felting with a basic black isn't really done. Or at least I haven't seen it done.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Thanks again for all your help. As it turns out, I have been provided with a laptop case + shoulder strap(a basic Targus one -- it's very nice), and I also won't be taking my laptop home with me very much so I decided to go with a non-laptop bag that will meet my other needs.

I got the Victorinox vertical messenger bag. I like the vertical orientation. I know some people have some concerns with the magnets that secure the flap, but I don't carry anything that will be affected by that.

I looked very closely at some Timbuk2 bags, but in the end the Victorinox offered more functionality for the price.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Felting is verymuch done with basic black, though often it will have a tiny skull and cross bones.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Timbuk2 is awesome. I'm thinking about getting the blogger to replace my manufacturer's case (Dell, for my work laptop -- the bag's just not durable enough for offshore trips).
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is almost done. I've crocheted in
"pockets" that I have stuffed with fiberfill and stuffed the center part of the strap as well. I used various left over yarn doubled with lamb's pride. It is blue and green and marroon and forest green and teal and red and lavender and moss green and pink...

The colours all go together pretty well and it is fun to have bits of old projects all "present".

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my black nylon Targus backpack. It's on the low end of laptop bags pricewise and is comfortable, well-padded, has lots of good file and accessory pockets, etc. They have them at Office Max and Office Depot.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Miami weather... I need to find a laptop bag that's waterproof. The laptop's area is safe, but damned if my documents have become illegible due to moisture.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

breyerchic: That is so cool. I had no idea what the form entailed. Who would not want one of these?

kmbboots: Post a link to a picture!

Nighthawk: Isn't not having to carry paper files the point of hauling a laptop around? [Wink]

JT: I liked the Timbuk2 bags a lot, but because of the way I commute, I really needed a zippered pocket on the flap and the Timbuk2 messenger bags at REI didn't have those.

Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had the normal (non-vertical) WT Messenger bag for over two years now, and still love it.

And no, I really couldn't afford the brand name but I'll usually shell out a few extra bucks for Victorinox items until one of them fails me.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you found something you like, Zalmoxis.

Here at work, several of them have THESE (which are actually much nicer than you can tell from the photo there). I like them a lot.

My daughter carries hers around in One of these which I think is absolutely hideous, but she loves it.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
If I might jump in with my own dilemma...

I'm entering a graduate program in a sharp-dressing department, and I'll probably be needing to dress at the business casual level (I'm a girl). I need a nice looking, professional bag to carry my laptop, textbooks, and journal articles. The bag also has to be sturdy enough to handle a 30-minute walk (when I don't take the shuttle) in different weather, and it'd be a plus if it was pretty comfortable as well. I already have a couple of bags, but they either don't look professional enough, or can't carry everything I need them to.

I was thinking about a black leather messenger bag, but I haven't had a lot of luck finding one big enough that's still in my price range ($100-$150ish). If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Uprooted- I know for a fact that Staples carries lots of Targus bags. I know at my store probably about 25 different ones I would say.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Jahi:

I feel for you. Large capacity bags that also look professional are hard to come by. To be honest, what I've seen used in these situations are rolling bags. But I hate those.

I also wonder if you'd be better off with a nice looking back pack. A laptop and files is fine in a messenger bag. But toss in a textbook or two and it gets to be a bit much.

I'm sure you can get cheaper, better bags, but since I know most about Victorinox...

You might be interested in the Victorinox Pisa.

And here's a link to some professional-looking backpacks.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.