FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » National Geographic Bee

Author Topic: National Geographic Bee
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Did any of you watch the geographic bee yesterday? I greatly enjoyed Alex Trebek and the show as a whole. I think geography bees are infinitly more interesting then spelling bees.

The contestants were all exremely bright and I was astonished by some of the knowledge they had of geography.

Also a girl winning for the 2nd time in the history of the bee was really enjoyable. 9 boys and a girl was certainly intimidating. She never missed a single question either, flawless victory!

It was certainly rough seeing some of the loser contestants reactions, but Caitlin bursting into tears at finally winning was so rewarding! She was also from my wife's hometown of Redmond Washington so of course Tiffany was cheering for her the whole time, you'd be surprised how much you start caring about a subject when one of your neighbors is a finalist in a national contest. Interestingly enough, 5 of the 19 total champions have been from Washington.

I'm probably going to watch it every year from now on. It was brilliant trying to answer some of the questions they had.

Do any of you know what the original (imperial) name of Ho Chi Min City was?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Saigon, right?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oz.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Friday
Member # 8998

- posted      Profile for Friday   Email Friday         Edit/Delete Post 
Seoul? (I hope that's how it's spelled)
Posts: 148 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Knowing how Vietnamese seems to sound, let's go with a short, three-letter word. Start with H. Then a vowel sound. Probably not O. Maybe E? Let's pick U. Then one more letter. Consonant or vowel? *Flips coin* Vowel. A? Nah. O? Sounds too Chinese. I? Again, too Chinese. E? Yeah, that gives the word a "false friend" spelling that's bound to slip up Westerners.

Hue.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think geography bees are infinitly more interesting then spelling bees.
While I think that they are both good educational projects, and I'd personally perform much better in geography bees than spelling bees, there is something about tracing a word through to its origins, a practice common in spelling bees, that strikes me as more important than the geographic history that would attend studying for a geography bee.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Knowing how Vietnamese seems to sound, let's go with a short, three-letter word. Start with H. Then a vowel sound. Probably not O. Maybe E? Let's pick U. Then one more letter. Consonant or vowel? *Flips coin* Vowel. A? Nah. O? Sounds too Chinese. I? Again, too Chinese. E? Yeah, that gives the word a "false friend" spelling that's bound to slip up Westerners.

Hue.

AFR wins!
Don't forget the accent though,
Húe [Wink]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Yeah, throw in an accent. Now it looks exotic.
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ho Chi Min City and Hue are two completely different cities. The question they asked in the geography bee was what was the imperial capital of Vietnam, not what was the imperial name for Ho Chi Min City.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
I've totally taken over that city in Battlefield Vietnam.
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Rappin' Ronnie Reagan:
Ho Chi Min City and Hue are two completely different cities. The question they asked in the geography bee was what was the imperial capital of Vietnam, not what was the imperial name for Ho Chi Min City.

Sorry I did not type my thoughts out correctly. You are right that that was the question, the finalist who answered incorrectly said Ho Chi Min City. I'm kinda annoyed that I could type out such an obvious mistake, South East Asian history is a topic I hold near and dear to my heart.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.