FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I PASSED EVERYTHING!

Author Topic: I PASSED EVERYTHING!
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
OH YA< OH YA< OH YA OH YA OHYA!

[Party]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, congrats then.

(resists)

(resists)

(gives up)

Although honestly, in college you should hold yourself to a higher standard than passing. What was your grade average?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
So Colonix works?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR wins the thread.

Edit: Congrats, Blayne.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

74, 60, 78, and 70.
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. Well, at least you passed. No more computer games for you.

Edit: Wait, 60 is a passing grade??? 0_o

[ May 24, 2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: King of Men ]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
3 Cs and a D. I'd have never seen my computer, the TV or my RPG stuff ever again.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a math class where 60 was a high B.

Okay, it was Calc 2. But still. It happens.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one week til I graduate high school. weird.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure a 78 is a B-.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
RunningBear, good luck with your choice of career and/or education. [Smile] You're at a fun time of your life. It was for me at least.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chanie
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for Chanie   Email Chanie         Edit/Delete Post 
78 is usually a C+.

And as for a D being passing, I had a friend who used to say, "D is for diploma."

Posts: 159 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, my school is a whole ten points shifted. For me, 85 is an A (so, a 4.0), 78 an B+, 75 is a B, 71 a B- etc.

That makes us seem dumber [Wink] .

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
In Canada, 60's are C's, and 70's are B's.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Only in the states (and at universities following the same system elsewhere) is 90+ A, 80-90 B, 70-80 C, etc. Other systems have a much lower percentage system, with 80 or higher being considered quite good, particularly for the sciences and math.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats baby
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad you met your goal. Congratulations.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm happy for you, Blayne. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the percentage-letter grade scale differs form school to school and class to class in Canada. I've had classes at the same Uni where one prof marks an 80 as an A-, and other where it's a B+. What really matters is your GPA, which is usually on a 4 or 5 point scale. Individual classes usually have a mark out of 4 or 5 assigned as well, depending on scale.
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

Oh, and congratulations Blayne! [Big Grin]
Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

I attend University in Canada, to be clear.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

quote:
Originally posted by Wonder Dog:
Actually, the percentage-letter grade scale differs form school to school and class to class in Canada. I've had classes at the same Uni where one prof marks an 80 as an A-, and other where it's a B+. What really matters is your GPA, which is usually on a 4 or 5 point scale. Individual classes usually have a mark out of 4 or 5 assigned as well, depending on scale.

We have a 13-point scale at my Uni.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
So can Blayne explain what his grades are out of, then, so I know how hard to cheer? [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
I passed (with an A) a class where I had about a 60% overall. Admittedly this was a grad class with 2 students, but still.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Well our grades are always the same but they sometimes curve them up or down depending so if your actual mark is a 60 (a C-) and the average in the class is low, they'll curve your mark up to say a 75, thus giving you a B. This mostly applies to test-based classes.
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

So here's a good question - why do we value grades at all? I'm a fine arts student, so my ability to gain employment will have more to do with my portfolio and my interviews than my transcripts, I think. And since there's no cross-school grade standard to judge academic performance on... why do we value grades so much?
King of Men
Member # 6684

Because for those of us who don't study, y'know, liberal arts stuff, grades reflect the product of how smart you are and how hard you worked. Surely it's reasonable to value brains and hard work.
Teshi
Member # 5024

KoM, Wonder Dog specified Fine Arts, not Liberal Arts.

I think we value grades so much, aside from all the usual answers, because in school- especially high school and undergraduate studies- they are often the only response we get for our hard work. For instance, you spend a week writing an essay and you submit it. When it gets returned, all you have is a grade (and maybe a few comments).

For the poor return of effort, it's not suprising that grades are so valued as the only symbol of what we did.

Of course, sometimes it seems like they assign grades randomly, which takes away any connection between the amount of work you put in and the grade you receive which does result in something similar to what KoM suggested.

In that case, valuing grades is only detrimental to your sanity. [Wink]

Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

KoM - The most communucative indicator of my hard work and brains is my portfolio - an application of the knowledge and skills I gained from hard work in classes. But there doesn't have to be a direct link between the grade assigned to me in class and the quality of my production work (Although there usually is).

I can understand that in other fields, academic measurements might be a better indicator of your knowledge and abilities.

Teshi - your point makes sense. Especially in classes that assign a handful of major papers or tests, the grade is pretty much the only pay-off for effort. (Although I do find a well-written paper valuable in and of itself... [Big Grin] )

Classes that seem to offer no connection between effort and grades are frustrating.

King of Men
Member # 6684

Fine arts aren't actual science, therefore they are lib'ral arts. :nods:
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Teshi - your point makes sense. Especially in classes that assign a handful of major papers or tests, the grade is pretty much the only pay-off for effort. (Although I do find a well-written paper valuable in and of itself... [Big Grin] )
For me, the valuable bit is the research, which makes the actual essay someone extraneous for me.
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think this was worth starting a new topic, and this one is on pretty much the same topic,

So* I just got my SAT results and I got an 800 in critical reading! Also a 700 in math and 710 on writing.

[Smile]

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

for the non American's here can you sexplain what that means.
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dantesparadigm:
I didn't think this was worth starting a new topic, and this one is on pretty much the same topic,

So* I just got my SAT results and I got an 800 in critical reading! Also a 700 in math and 710 on writing.

[Smile]

That's Fantastic!

I just got my scores too, though I'm ashamed to post them as they pale in comparison. Any ideas about where you'd like to go?

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't want to do anything too rigorous, because I just can't see myself being happy at an Ivy League or the like. I was thinking about going to Farmington, a nice teaching college farther up Maine, almost certainly on a full-boat, so I can have a nice pool of income available for whatever I do afterwards, maybe high school or as a college professor if I get lucky.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are great scores, dp. [Smile] And it sounds like you know what you want to do with them, which is even better!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
eekah. Grades like that would have put me on academic probation, so I wouldn't necessarily be celebrating, myself.

But hey, as long as you found the experience rewarding and educational, I guess the grades don't have to matter too much!

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.