FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I know there's already a thread about swearing on the Koran (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I know there's already a thread about swearing on the Koran
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. And since they are therefore, in fact, lying about their beliefs, that makes Bible believers less likely to be honest. So, what was your point?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Who says they're lying?

And even were that the case, what has that to do with believers as a group of which they are a very small fraction?

What was your point? And why was I silly enough to think you had one?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that you said they were lying. In any case, if they aren't lying about their beliefs, then they are still in jail, presumably for having done something their mothers wouldn't approve of. Which leads me to my point: If a small fraction of believers are liars, and there is no corresponding fraction among the non-believers, then that is a correlation, although possibly a small one. Though it has to be noted, with the US prison population being what it is, jailed Christians are probably not so small a percentage of all Christians.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
In North Carolina, you are allowed to 'affirm' if you feel uncomfortable with swearing on the Christian Bible. This was originally instituted to allow non-religious people to take oaths. Unfortunately, some people see affirming as admitting lack of religious belief, which in a very religious community can undermine the credibility of the witness' testimony. The recent ruling by the State Court to allow the Koran to be used for swearing oaths is a nod to the growing diversity in certain areas of our state, but I don't expect that it will be widely used. How a jury might interpret this use, and how it might affect their judgment of the testimony given is an open question. I suspect some research has been done on this matter since juries can be swayed by subtle signals. The attempt to develop one way of promising to tell the truth and nothing but the truth is likely to remain an ideal whatever book or words are used.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.