FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stanford students prove their intelligence!

Author Topic: Stanford students prove their intelligence!
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
...by letting a random girl pose as a student for 8 months.
quote:
IMPOSTER CAUGHT
High school graduate pretends to be a Stanford student, even living in the dorms, buying textbooks and ‘studying’ for exams

May 24, 2007
By Daniel Novinson

Azia Kim was like any other Stanford freshman. She graduated from one of California’s most competitive high schools last June, moved into the dorms during New Student Orientation, talked about upcoming tests and spent her free time with friends.

Azia Kim allegedly climbed through this first-floor window in Okada to sleep during spring quarter. The 18-year-old was evicted after her ruse was uncovered Monday night.

The only problem is that Azia Kim was never a Stanford student.

Kim, an 18-year-old from Orange County who graduated from Fullerton’s Troy High School, lived in Kimball throughout fall and winter quarter. She lived in Okada, the Asian-American theme dorm, until Monday night, when University staff finally caught onto her ruse.

Friends aren’t sure of her motive for sneaking onto campus and living a lie, but many speculate that she felt pressure from overbearing parents to attend Stanford — regardless of whether she was admitted.

What Kim’s friends do know is that they are scared and angry that someone slipped through the cracks for eight months.

“Personally, I don’t feel safe now that Stanford allowed this to happen and that they’re not doing anything to ensure the safety of their students,” said Amy Zhou ‘08, Kim’s roommate in Okada. “I think something’s definitely wrong with the system if this could happen.”

Kim declined comment for this story, unless the newspaper agreed to withhold her name. She suggested, but then declined, postponing publication one day in exchange for speaking on the record.

(more)

Hats off especially to the RAs and the girls who let Azia sleep in their room!

And for those who will inevitably overreact, the thread title's a joke.

Edit: NBC Article
Also, Stanford's vague statement.

[ May 25, 2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: erosomniac ]

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am bothered by people who regard this kind of undertaking as insane and dangerous (see the comments). Clearly, this young woman is troubled. However, I don't think she's insane or dangerous. It takes courage, intelligence and inventiveness to keep up a charade like this.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like she read the section of Steel this Book that instructs you on how to get a free college education. The gist is pretty much that you just go to college, and don't pay, and don't recieve any credit, but you still get the education, which is, supposedly, the valuable part anyway. I've known people that do this, though living in the dorms is a new one.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It took Zhou even longer to find out the truth — she said that Azia Kim broke into her email account and permanently deleted emails from Housing that explained the situation. Kim even replied to Housing, imitating her roommate in an email that Zhou provided The Daily:

“Hey Edith,

Actually, Azia doesn’t stay here permanently, she just stays occasionally when she stays late. Sorry, I apologize for any confusions.

Amy”

Clever.

quote:
“She took off the screen and always left one of the windows wide open and the blinds up,” Zhou said. “I just guessed she always wanted a breezy room.”
[Big Grin]

--j_k

[ May 25, 2007, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: James Tiberius Kirk ]

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I like how Zhou called it, "Hacking" when Kim accessed her email. Chances are she simply has a cookie that automatically logs her in.

My guess is she told her parents she got into Stanford and then put all her efforts into making that a reality for everyone else she was in contact with. That being the case she definately put alot of work and ingenuity towards that effort.

8 months, wowzers.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say, I'm somewhat impressed. I mean, 8 months is a long time to keep it up. And she was just trying to get an education. I think that the world we live in now has given people an unrealistic sense of danger. We are all so paranoid about anyone going against the system. I'm not saying what she did was right, but you have to at least give her props for keeping it up for so long.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And she was just trying to get an education.
No she wasn't. She could have gotten an education somewhere else with a lot less hassle.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
She wasn't getting credit for any classes. I know an education isn't all about he credit, but it is at least a little bit about the credit. Unless she was planning on faking a resume later as well.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

(For the record, the article does state that she didn't take many of the tests she prepared for with her friends. I strongly suspect her presence there was less about education and more about a desire to be at Stanford.)

As much as I believe Kim was hardly dangerous, I have to agree that her presence was a breach of security and trust. Because of the latter, she's likely to be expelled, and won't be able to reapply to Stanford this fall. That option would have been available to her if she had wanted to spend a year elsewhere and transfer in.

[edit] Fast typers [Grumble]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
As a Stanford grad, I fail to see why someone would go to such lenghts to "be" at Stanford. They have a pretty campus, a world famous golf course (only $20 green fees for students) and a good location, but they didn't have anything special you wouldn't find at any decent state college. In fact, many student amenities were lacking. Stanford may have lots of money, but the spending priority sure isn't for the students.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a couple kids in high school who HAD to get into Stanford. To them, any other college was failure. I'm not sure exactly why they felt this way, but if Kim had a similar belief, it goes some way towards explaining her actions.

Both of the guys I knew who considered Stanford THE ONLY SCHOOL were Asian as well. I would guess, based on that and the fact that they have an Asian-American dorm, that it might be kind of a big thing for Asian descent kids.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
And she was just trying to get an education.
No she wasn't. She could have gotten an education somewhere else with a lot less hassle.
I think she was specifically trying to get a, "Stanford Education" or in other words an, "Ivy League Education."

Or perhaps she thought she would get absorbed into the beurocracy and be home free. Just because she is Asian does not mean she has the stereotypical pressure that Asian parents put on their children, but its entirely possible, even probable.

edit: I had a gorgeous half Asian friend who was very upset that Stanford rejected her, even though she had gotten into Harvard.

At my high school, schools like Duke, Princeton, and Virginia Tech were "safety schools."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Princeton a safety school? Wah [Frown] .
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
j_k, how can she be expelled from a school that she isn't enrolled at? Not that I disagree about her chances of being accepted at a later date, but what can they do other than telling her to go away and keeping her out of the dorms?
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by TheGrimace:
j_k, how can she be expelled from a school that she isn't enrolled at? Not that I disagree about her chances of being accepted at a later date, but what can they do other than telling her to go away and keeping her out of the dorms?

On the first question: Good point. Call it an honorary expulsion?

Regarding the second question, I'd assume she could be in some legal trouble now.

--j_k

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.