FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wow... Just wow (bizarre hunting story). (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wow... Just wow (bizarre hunting story).
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Short short version: 11 year old kid in Alabama kills a wild hog weighing more than 1,000 pounds.

A story would be here .

Now, one bit about the story that caught my attention. He was hunting with a .50 caliber revolver. Kudos to the 11 year old hunting with a gun that would probably break my wrist if I ever fired it.

Over all, this is a very strange story... I'm not sure what sort of impression it leaves on me (so many stereotypes, so little time).

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Props to that kid. That thing looks like it could eat me.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor pig.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Sick sick sick. Letting a kid torture the pig for hours when the adults shoulda put it down with a rifle shot after the first hit.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
I am leery of this whole thing... not straight-up saying that it's false, but some of it seems quite fishy...

killing your first deer at 5 (when typical deer-hunting rifles would be 2-3x as long as you are tall) seems a big stretch. Heck, I started shooting .22s when I was about 8, but even large .22s were too big for me at that point.

then comes the intentional hunt using a .50 cal revolver by an 11 year old. not only is this going to be remarkably silly because pistols are such short range and innacurate firearms, but one that big (as mentioned already) would likely hurt adult wielders if fired...

And the claim that the kid hit the boar 8 times with said revolver also seems fishy. professional marksmen would probably have a hard time hitting a frantic animal like that (as it would have been after the first shot) that many times...

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, spin off question. If a three foot tall man with correspondingly small bone size fired a pistol, would it fracture his wrists, as Architraz suggested?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
They're having the head mounted. Did you enlarge the picture and look at it? That thing is ugly. I can't imagine displaying it somewhere. Give people nightmares.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
If the kid was properly trained in using the gun, his wrist should (assuming the story is true) be fine.

As for calling what they did 'torture'...I'm on the fence. It ran, they gave chase. If it was able to outrun them for three hours it doesn't seem like it was too badly injured by the first shots. I could, of course, be wrong.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
TheGrimace, I live in Alabama and don't find it odd that someone would have killed a first deer at five. People take their hunting very seriously down here.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Are there really creatures like that running around in the woods down there? That is creepy beyond reason.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Sick sick sick. Letting a kid torture the pig for hours when the adults shoulda put it down with a rifle shot after the first hit.

My thoughts too, aspectre.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
quote:

My thoughts too, aspectre.
Mine too.
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more disturbed that it's apparently normal for 5 and 10 year olds to be hunting. I have no problem whatsoever with hunting as a way to get meat. And this animal will be eaten -- as sausage, apparently.

I have a big problem with trophy hunting. And it's clear that was a main, possibly the main, goal here.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

then comes the intentional hunt using a .50 cal revolver by an 11 year old. not only is this going to be remarkably silly because pistols are such short range and innacurate firearms,

Pistol hunting is becoming increasingly popular.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm not expressing a concern about hunting as a way to get meat to eat. I am expressing a concern about doing it in a way that deliberately extends the suffering of the animal for no reason that I can see other than for ego and fame.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

While that revolver is about as big as handguns get, the kid ain't a small 11year old.
The hunting model uses a 10.5inch barrel, so it's pretty darn accurate

Still bugs the heck outta me me that it took 8to16 shots to kill the animal, because the adults didn't put it out of its misery.
With a 50degree barrel upswing between shots and 5shots per reload, that ain't a case of tracking the pig for three hours after the initial hit then killing it. It appears to have been as cruel as hitting it, chasing it, hitting it, chasing it, hitting it, chasing it...
...then finally killing it.

[ May 26, 2007, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get the point of killing it in the first place. What's so alluring about killing exotic animals?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

- posted      Profile for Fusiachi   Email Fusiachi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I don't get the point of killing it in the first place. What's so alluring about killing exotic animals?

Hunting was once necessary for survival. It has been glorified by cultures since the beginning of man. Is it any wonder that people find pleasure in a good, old-fashioned hunt?
Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The "wild"hog is a common domesticated animal turned into a feral pest, an invasive species wrecking local ecologies.
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am expressing a concern about doing it in a way that deliberately extends the suffering of the animal for no reason that I can see other than for ego and fame.
That thing was monstrous. I know it didn't deserve to suffer and all, but ...
Dang, yo.

I mean, my husband was reading this Clive Cussler book about genetically engineered fish, and I thought it was just stupid and ridiculous that the fish could be so monstrous, but this hog is the product of centuries of breeding for maximum meat output. I'm sure the hog didn't have the murderous agression of Clive Cussler's fish (which would be moronic to breed into a farmed animal).

If hunting is a passage into manhood, why let a 5 year old do it? :sigh: Well, as long as they eat it, I guess hunting in general (excluding the prolonged suffering of this animal) is up to the person. My husband doesn't like to eat poultry off the bone because it seems more barbaric to him. One person's barbarism is another person's celebration.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Fair enough. But I call barbarism when I see it.

Killing quickly and cleanly, to eat, is one thing. Killing slowly and with unnecessary pain and suffering, for drama, is another.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to laugh at this line:

quote:

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast, with 5-inch tusks, decided to charge.

Because when a 1000 pound monster is charging an eleven year old, he needs to watch out for those tusks. [Razz] I just hope it was the reporter, not the father saying that part.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It feels really good," Jamison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.... "It's huge," he said. "It's just the biggest thing I've ever seen."

A) You could cut down a big tree.
B) Try going to a zoo or look up into the sky some day [Wink]

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:

Agreed, at least they didn't call it a sport this time.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It feels really good," Jamison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."
My first thought when I saw that was "Aw, poor kid, and to think some kids NEVER get to kill something that big." [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

Just saw this story on a (very) different forum and the following amusing comment (edited for language) Also, I have a strange sense of humour:
quote:
Wonder what would have happened if the pig killed the kid and the rest of the hunting group.

"It feels really good," the pig said in a telephone interview with the Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. Sure the kid was small, but he had this [massive] hand cannon. And the rest of them had high powered rifles."

The pig is having patties made from the rest of the group. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 people burgers," he said.

link
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Just saw this story on a (very) different forum and the following amusing comment (edited for language) Also, I have a strange sense of humour:
quote:
Wonder what would have happened if the pig killed the kid and the rest of the hunting group.

"It feels really good," the pig said in a telephone interview with the Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. Sure the kid was small, but he had this [massive] hand cannon. And the rest of them had high powered rifles."

The pig is having patties made from the rest of the group. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 people burgers," he said.

link
Yet further proof history is written by the victors.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
It's becoming "increasingly popular" to (1) hunt with a high caliber revolver, and (2) to take an eleven year old hunting with one?

Then again, I do know of someone that, on at least one occasion, went deer hunting with an AR-15...

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem, like CT, with the manner in which they let the child kill the animal.

I don't have a problem with teaching young children skills like how to hunt for food, though. Children are much more capable than we give them credit for; it's a cultural thing, not a developmental thing. Not much use in teaching a child to shoot a gun at animals in our culture, however, in the Canela tribe of Brazil two and three year olds are taught how to use knives and build fires. Those are things we would never do! But it is necessary for them.

All that being said, I don't condone sport hunting whatsoever and am a Red woman at heart. You only kill what you need, use everything, and give thanks to the animal that gave its life to sustain yours.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dimak
Member # 10484

- posted      Profile for Dimak   Email Dimak         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is a bit long. Ok I'm not going to question the validity of the story (which is kind of off). But I would'nt call that "Hunting" because the kid had a .50 cal. and the pig was just sitting there ,and what is wrong with the adults they should of put it out of its misery. This is just a messed up incident. But this is just my opinion.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack, Dimak. [Smile]

You know, I've checked several times now, and there really isn't anyone behind me. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Apparently, the boy's been getting some colorful hate mail...

http://www.monsterpig.com/negative_comments.htm
(Although it seems censored and edited for content, I'd be cautious if it's an issue)

Gotta love the domain.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's becoming "increasingly popular" to (1) hunt with a high caliber revolver
Yes. It is.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
At least we know the kid can hit the broad side of a barn.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It turns out it wasn't a wild pig after all.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I suspected that was the case, from what I read about the "preserve" where they hunted it. Although I just figured it was farm raised, not necessarily someone's pet that their grandchildren played with. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.
Nearly 6 out of 16? I don't hunt. Are those good hunting figures?

If I was a 1000+ pound pig, and some brat kid kept shooting me, I'd try to trample him, or sit on him, or something.

Bizarre.

Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

6 out of 16? Well, I guess it depends on how far away he was when he did the shooting.

And I think that if that pig had the disposition to attack humans, it wouldn't have been kept as a pet for so long, and it wouldn't have had a chance to grow as big.

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."
It's so weird that the act of killing, in and of itself, should be seen as an accomplishment. Nevermind the "I provided for the family by shooting a deer" idea. Just "I killed the biggest pig in the world!" I mean, what?

[edit: I missed the part about 500 lbs. of sausage. Gah.]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by The White Whale:
quote:
The big boar was hunted inside a large, low-fence enclosure and fired upon 16 times by Stone, who struck the animal nearly a half-dozen times during the three-hour hunt.
Nearly 6 out of 16? I don't hunt. Are those good hunting figures?

If I was a 1000+ pound pig, and some brat kid kept shooting me, I'd try to trample him, or sit on him, or something.

Bizarre.

There's mixed factors on whether that's good or not. A young kid... with a gun bigger than he is... with sufficient recoil to knock him on his ass... is firing at a pig... that's the size of a Volkswagen... that might be a little upset about getting shot.

How did this hunt take three hours? Look at the thing! It's not like it can simply hide under the bushes or run away at 50MPH. And, unless he's firing at it from half a mile away, it'd be hard to miss.

And I hardly considering killing an animal that's in a "low-fence enclosure" an act of "hunting".

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
It's so weird that the act of killing, in and of itself, should be seen as an accomplishment. Nevermind the "I provided for the family by shooting a deer" idea. Just "I killed the biggest pig in the world!" I mean, what?
While I don't condone or encourage it, and have never hunted myself, I totally understand the sentiment of it being frikkin awesome to be the one who killed the biggest/baddest/bestest in the world.

quote:
And, unless he's firing at it from half a mile away, it'd be hard to miss.
That's what I'm guessing happened (well, not half a mile away, but from long range.) I know that if I were to kill it, I wouldn't want to get too close.

[ June 02, 2007, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: mr_porteiro_head ]

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

Well, if that's the case and you are firing from a distance, why use a big bore pistol which is probably inaccurate as hell?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Because it's kewler to kill it with a pistol? Your guess is as good as mine.
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

That was a rhetorical question. [Wink]
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
From these accounts, this sounds extremely un-sportsmanlike and plain wrong. I have several family members for whom venison is a major staple of their diet. They never hunt on preserves and they use rifles or bows. I don't think any of them has ever killed even a 10-point buck with more than 2 shots. They enjoy the sport, but would never do it other than to eat. They save a lot of money on grocery bills and keep the deer population down in the most humane way possible (the populations of predators have dwindled so much that a lot of deer would starve to death if they weren't hunted).

You know, I think I'll email my cousins to see if they heard about this.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
A weird, weird story. And a weird odd at the bottom that is strangely attractive O_O.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
What's a rhetorical question? [Wink]
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
What's a rhetorical question? [Wink]
In simple terms, a rhetorical question is a query designed for effect, rather than in search of an answer.

[Wink]

Posts: 433 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

*stabs*
Fusiachi
Member # 7376

You ask a rhetorical question, you get a ... nevermind. Back to the thread at hand.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.