FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wish Me Luck: Updated

Author Topic: Wish Me Luck: Updated
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to need it.

My cancer is back.

For those of you who remember, two years ago, I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid carcinoma. I had surgery on my neck to remove my thyroid along with multiple cancerous lymph nodes. I recovered well, went off to college and thought it was the end of it.

Turns out there is a little thyroid nodule in my neck that is cancerous. They did a biopsy of it last week and it came back as malignant. They also found an enlarged lymph node in the right side of my neck and another in the paraphyrangeal region, which is (as my doctor so eloquently put it) where, if you took the head off a doll, it would be the very top of their neck. Basically it means that they have to make another incision, instead of going through the old scar in order to get this lymph node out.

Needless to say, I'm really scared. Of course, the surgery isn't going to be as bad or as extensive as last time, but that doesn't really make it any better. Also, as an added bonus, I'm supposed to go to Australia 3 weeks after my surgery, so I'd better recover fast. I just hope it all goes okay. I would love your thoughts and prayers though, as I really think that I could use some good juju right now.

Edit to add: My surgery is actually scheduled for Wednesday, May 30th. I have to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days after the surgery, and I don't know if I'm going to have internet, but I'll try to find some way to let you guys know how it went.

[ June 01, 2007, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Evie3217 ]

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for a full recovery.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Everything will be okay. The world wouldn't allow anything bad to happen to someone as sweet, caring, and awesome as you.

I have faith in that.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Hope all goes well.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*, ~~~~~~~, and prayers heading your way!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes, our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Evie, I'm so sorry. *hugs* & ~~~~~~
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, but you won't need it - I agree with Lyr.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear that.
(((Abby)))
I'm praying for your full recovery.

Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs* I hope you have a fast recovery. I too agree with Lyr.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Evie. I am so sorry that you have to go through another surgery and I'll be praying for a fast and easy recovery.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
just reading this now, and am worried about u. i hope all goes well, and that this will be the last u ever have to deal with such things.

I was also wondering how u knew in the first place that u had cancer in your thyroid gland. were there early warning signs, or anything like that?

Most important part of my post: I wish u the very best of luck with everything come wednesday.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my goodness! I'm so sorry you have to go through this but you definitely have my prayers and wishes for a speedy recovery.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wishing you good luck. You are in my thoughts. Sending good vibes for a smooth surgery and even smoother recovery. Here's to being in Australia in the fall/winter.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
<prayers for Evie>
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Thank you all so much for your prayers and good thoughts.

Krynn, the first signs (both times) of thyroid cancer was actually swollen lymph nodes. Last time I had some huge lymph nodes that my doctor found through a routine checkup. They did a CAT scan and found that there was extensive damage and they originally thought it was lymphoma, which is actually much worse than thyroid carcinoma. Then they did a biopsy and found that my thyroid was malignant, which meant surgery. Since my surgery they've been monitoring my thyroid and lymph nodes through ultrasounds. Apparently over the last two years since my first surgery, a small thyroid nodule has grown a bit, as well as some lymph nodes that you can feel in my neck (it's actually pretty cool. It's like there's a marble in my neck). They did another CAT scan and found more enlarged lymph nodes in my neck and also in the paraphyrangeal region, like I said before. Symptoms of hypothyroid or thyroid cancer are often manifested as depression and lethargy. This should have been the first sign, since I've been depressed for a while, but unfortunately, no one thought to check my thyroid levels during that time.

All in all, this is one of the best cancers to have (if there is such a thing), but I'm still really scared. Having surgery is not something that I really want to do again, and I just hope I don't have to do this anymore.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
does your family have a history of thyroid problems? like was it underactive or anything like that?
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

There was actually no history of thyroid problems that I know of, although I have a lot of family on my dad's side who are depressed, and I'm not sure if they've ever actually been checked for hypothyroid.
the doctor
Member # 6789

- posted      Profile for the doctor           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man...So sorry you are facing this. We'll pray for a successful treatment and fast recovery.

I obviously don't know the circumstances, but if you aren't feeling up to traveling, you should be able to cancel with a doctor's note and not lose your money for the trip. It'd be a shame not to go, but if you aren't feeling well, travel is not a lot of fun either.

(((Evie)))

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Evie3217, you'll be in my thoughts.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Hey guys, I'm back from the hospital.

Apparently I came through with flying colors. They got all the gunk out that they needed to and the surgery was a huge success. Of course, now I look like a chipmunk on one side, but I can deal with that. I'm still in a lot of pain and not really able to move around that much, but at least I'm home and in my own bed. That's so much nicer than any hospital bed, let me tell you. I just wanted to thank you all again for your well wishes and I will keep you updated!

James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news, Evie [Smile]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! I'm glad you're doing better and you sound like you're in great spirits. Way to go. [Smile]
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see this thread before, but I'm glad to hear you're doing okay. Take care of yourself and here's more thoughts/prayers for a quick recovery. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.