FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A very wild party

Author Topic: A very wild party
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
This was in my local paper.
quote:
The mother of all beer bashes ended with way more than hangovers.

Someone pooped on the piano. Others loaded a Super Soaker with urine and sprayed everything in sight.

But what to say about the teenagers who ejaculated on stuffed animals inside the Maple Avenue home whose oblivious owners were away for the weekend? When did youthful experimentation become so ... depraved?

That was March, when Haddonfield was starting to realize that things are not as they had always been in the affluent South Jersey suburb, which is like so many others in the region.

Shortly after midnight on Easter, a popular 17-year-old football player leaped to his death from the Ben Franklin Bridge after leading police on a car chase. The boy had been at a party.

A week or so later, Mayor Tish Colombi and School Superintendent Joe O'Brien received an envelope of unsettling photos - Haddonfield high schoolers so proud of their partying, so unconcerned with reprisal, that they put hundreds of images on the Internet.

My favorite? It's a tie between the boy posing next to an artfully arranged pyramid of beer, and the girl who strapped a bottle of Captain Morgan to her chest with a belt for easy access, like a gun in a holster.

"I was blown away by the boldness," Colombi tells me.

Story.

Anybody ever go to a party like that? I mean, that's not ordinary drunk rowdiness; that's just disgusting. Do you suppose the kids came to the party intending to do those things, or decided to do them only after getting incredibly drunk?

Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe both? As in they intended to enjoy the reckless abandon that comes with drunkedness and without thought to what a bad idea mass unsupervised drunkedness can be.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good grief. That's tragic, embarrassing, and terribly sad.

It is in marked contrast to how young people deal with drinking in other cultures, however. I don't think it is the alcohol, but rather that the alcohol highlights or reveals a deeper, more fundamental problem with general development.

---

Edited to add: As to whether I ever attended a party like that, the answer would be "no." I think the rowdiest I ever attended was capped by a guy drawing on his own belly with a permanent marker. (woo-hoo! xtreeemz!)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't sound like anything too crazy. I've been to parties like that, thought the stuffed animals part is a little odd. They must not have been too drunk.

The only part that sounds out there is that they go to friends houses when the friends aren't even there. Usually, when I've thrown and gone to parties like this (back in highschool), it was because the parents are out of town, but the kid is still home, to at least pretend to protect the house.

But I have seen unfortunate waste products in pool tables, stoves, potted plants and covering virtually every surface of the bathroom (stressing that absolutely none were products of me seems important here). And I'd be really suprised if anyone were actually suprised that highschoolers/teenagers drink, and in excess.

I think the pictures on the internet is more of a sign of advancing technology and the loss of privacy that goes with it. It has only recently become possible to post pictures on the internet, so no one should be suprised when people do it, even if it's something you wouldn't post of yourself. People post some strange stuff on the internet. The year after I graduated a couple of guys at my former highschool went around and collected all of the 'erotic' pictures that guys had of their girlfriends and posted them all on the internet. That was pretty bad.

Anyways, there's some tragic stuff in the story, for sure. But I don't think it's anything new, and the same old ways of preventing it are still around, and working as effectively as ever.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

vonk, thanks for the perspective. I think I am even older, stodgier, and less interesting than I realized. *grin

Honestly, I had no idea human waste products were relatively common. No idea whatsoever.

(Hey, mom? If you are still around somehow, I'd like to point out that I wasn't so outrageous after all. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Ha! No problem. If I had to guess, based on my experience, not to stereotype, that the excriment probably came from the 'punk' element and could be traced back to GG Allen (warning: link contains descriptions of graphic events). That's were it's always come from at the parties I've been to.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Ahhhh ... I went to high school with some of the very earliest folk in the Midwest that were into punk (mid-eighties), one of which is now an English professor and poet (but that's another story -- he was the first I saw to pierce his ear with a safety pin, though).
quote:
By the mid to late 1980s, Allin was a heroin user, alcoholic, a heavy smoker and generally abused all intoxicants given to him. He was poorly groomed and rarely cleaned himself. At this point, Allin also began eating laxatives before performances - as defecation, the drinking and eating of it was becoming a regular stage act for him.
I think the ripple effect probably took another few years to filter into the heart of Indiana, as it were.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Let teens be teens, I guess. Once the urine, excrement, semen, and other fluids are cleaned up, the poisons cleared out of the blood by hardworking livers, the photos carefully ferreted back off the Internet before they cause scandals, the statements taken, and the kids bailed out of jail, we can all laugh. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Well on the topic of eating feces, quite a few inmates in an attempt to feign insanity and secure transfer eat their feces. It is no longer considered "crazy enough" to officially label a prisoner as insane.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Heck, one of the more popular items of contraband is a feces cookbook. If the trend's going mainstream, might as well make a few extra cigarettes off of it.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
ive been to quite a few parties like that. Georgia Southern University and the University of Georgia are both really big party schools. As vonk said finding stuff like this is nothing new. alcohol = misbehaving and doing the socially unacceptable for lots of people. in my personal experience its mainly freshmen and sophomores, or even highschool kids.

to speak for myself, i was definitely much crazier when i was younger. i think maturity and hopefully some wisdom have helped to put a stop to that.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I have never been to a party even remotely resembling that. And I go to Arizona State, allegedly one of the top party schools in the country. Um...once I saw someone get so drunk that he threw up. And he'd just eaten some velvet cake (made with tons of red food coloring) so his vomit was a disturbing bright red. He also flirted with everyone except for me, because I threatened him the first he touched me. It was hilarious.

I think the next wildest thing I participated in at a party was a Halloween college group night where we made prank phone calls to one of the pastors and then left a toilet paper roll on his doorstep with a note from us. We'd considered actually TPing his house, but in the end we were too nice to do that to him. I remember we spent the whole evening saying crazy things (don't remember what) and laughing our heads off. There was no alcohol involved, 'cause we're Methodist.

Actually, in general, the parties I've been to that have had alcohol have been calmer than those without.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Wow indeed. If those are the craziest party moments you've experienced at Arizona State, I'd venture a guess that you didn't go to the crazier parties thrown. If you wanna get into crazy vomit stories, well, you don't want to get into crazy vomit stories. [Smile]
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Yeah, I suspect that the parties I went to were pretty tame by ASU standards.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to UF and went to many parties, especially in my early years. I thought some of them were pretty wild, but I don't remember anyone ever defecating on the furniture. I guess maybe they weren't so wild after all.

Shigosei, I became a Methodist about 2 years ago. I don't remember anyone telling us in Methodist 101 that we weren't suppose to drink. In fact, on one of our Sunday School - I mean adult education - outings, we specifically went to a place that had a great beer selection.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeew.

We don't have any of this stuff around where I grew up, and I'm glad.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Eeew.

We don't have any of this stuff around where I grew up, and I'm glad.

Yes, yes, Southern California does nothing but produce good, white children with crew cuts and pig tails who all get good grades, take their vitamins, drink their milk and who grow up to be good citizens and never vote democrat.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say Southern California.

I said where I grew up.

La Crescenta. We had drugs, we had wild parties, but we didn't have people defecating and ejaculating on other people's stuff.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone else really amused by the fact that the local newspaper used the phrase 'someone pooped on the piano'?

Tell me that's not comedy!

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

There's no rule about not drinking, though I think some Methodists don't approve of it. However, this party was at the church, and I suspect that alcohol consumption there would have been frowned upon.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It's sad. The problem is a bit more serious than finding **** on the ivories.
vonk
Member # 9027

I think that's really the least of the party, and is being harped on perhaps too much. I mean, in Aville they have a party with lots of drinking, loud music, recreational drugs, lewd acts, public nuisances and all that good stuff. In Bville they have a party with all of that stuff, plus poop. I think it would be a little extreme to claim that Aville has fairly tame parties while Bville's are totaly outa control.

Also, the few times I've been aware of poo outa the pot at parties, it has been kept under raps. The offender has not come out and announced to everyone that they pooed, rather left quietly for the owner to find it later. That said, any of you may well have been to a party with errant defecation, and not been aware of it.

Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to date a guy for a long, long time who was very into the hardcore/diy/punk scene in Chicago. Thus I have seen some crazy, crazy partying. I think one of the most obnoxious, frightening incidents was when two very overly intoxicated skinheads got mad and started throwing things through large plate glass windows, including other people. Yeah. Glad I was not too near them.

But I've been to shows/parties where people I didn't know body slammed me into the floor, doorways, six inch spikes, pretty much any solid surface. Seriously, I'm just glad I didn't get worse infections from those cuts and gashes (now scars) than I did. Oh, the filth.

Btw, I am so glad I got out of that scene when I did. It's almost funny when I look back because I've always been a peaceful hippy type, but I had those four and a half years of raging. Nothing like being in love with the wrong person. Ugh. I love being zen again. [Cool]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Haddonfield high schoolers so proud of their partying, so unconcerned with reprisal, that they put hundreds of images on the Internet.
This phenomenon will never cease to amaze me.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Artfully arranged pyramids of beer" is outrageous? Wow. Guess I need to tell my roommate's parents that.

I've been to parties with everything except the stuffed animal bit. That's kinda creepy and makes me glad I never hosted anything like that. They certainly weren't commonplace, but they also weren't entirely aberrations.

Then again, I've been to at least one party at my undergrad with more people in attendance than the entire population of my next school. Oh, well.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I'm glad that all the wild* parties I've been to had more nudity and less defecation. I'm also pretty sure that with most of the college parties I was at, if somebody had showed up with a supersoaker full of urine, they would have gotten chased down and pretty severely beaten.

*My college's big party weekend was well-known for cars being flipped over and lightpoles torn down, so I think they were sufficiently wild.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Artfully arranged pyramids of beer" is outrageous?
I've seen a team of engineers put together a geometrically accurate (angle-wise, that is) Leaning Tower of Piza using several hundred cans of Surge.

Each to his own, I guess.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.