FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 40 years ago today Sgt. Pepper's taught the

Author Topic: 40 years ago today Sgt. Pepper's taught the
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the greatest album of all time. Could it have started the "Summer of Love"? There was a thread I think that debated the greatest band ever, this album should be exhibit #1.

Everyone take some time today and listen to this masterpiece and think thoughts of peace and love.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Love that album! Love it.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the doctor
Member # 6789

- posted      Profile for the doctor           Edit/Delete Post 
There are others by the Beatles that I like better, but that album certainly has a place in time and history.
Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't that make it 60 years ago today...?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'll listen to this album--when I'm 64!
Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Revolver's better, but SPLHCB has got to be #2 or 3. Good stuff, I'll listen to it later.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Listening through the entire album today as a salute.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that must be very, very unpleasant for ya, BlackBlade. Try to stay fly! ^_^
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Revolver is so overrated.

I'd put Sgt. Pepper's ahead of it any day.

But Abbey Road blows away Sgt. Pepper's

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
Now that must be very, very unpleasant for ya, BlackBlade. Try to stay fly! ^_^

Its actually a quite short album. Oddly enough at the track "Getting Better" the album loses me until "A Day In The Life," which happens to be the last track.

It's all good though, I've Jimmy Eat World playing now and some inadulterated deep rock definately fits the bill for today.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by baduffer:
Perhaps the greatest album of all time. Could it have started the "Summer of Love"? There was a thread I think that debated the greatest band ever, this album should be exhibit #1.

Everyone take some time today and listen to this masterpiece and think thoughts of peace and love.

From what I've read, most folks in SF didn't feel like it was much of a "Summer of Love" -- previous summers had more of the "love" thing going on, while 1967 had too much media hype, teenage runaways, and hard drugs...

(Still, lovely music.)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished re-listening to it. Earlier this month I purchased a collection of every original Beatles album.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
My band bought the first Beatles album to come to town and copied off all the music. I think we were the first ones along the Wasatch front to play Beatles' music. It was great.

However, I had been living in Mexico for almost two years when Sgt. Pepper came out and I first heard it on a tape belonging to a new guy who had just come down from the States. I didn't like it. It just didn't sound like the Beatles I remembered. I have since come to enjoy about half of the cuts.

Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all of The Beatle's albums, but Sgt. Pepper probably isn't even in my top 5. Let me think...

1. White Album
2. Abbey Road
3. Rubber Soul
4. Revolver
5. Sgt. Pepper

Alright, I guess it's number 5.

I think it's probably the most overrated Beatle's album. She's Leaving Home and A Day in the Life are among my favorite Beatle's tracks, but the rest of the album just doesn't blow me away. In fact, I rarely listen to any of the single songs other than the 2 I mentioned by themselves, rather only when I'm listening to the album as a whole.

In fact, I find Sgt. Pepper fairly depressing as a whole, and thus tend to listen to it mainly when I'm in that mood.

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
NPR had a segment on Sgt. Pepper's this afternoon on the way home from school (located here).
Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm such a lightweight; my favorite Beatles album is Help! [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Sgt Pepper. I also listened to it at work today. The only track on the whole disc I don't really like is "Within You Without You." It takes a lot for me to get all the way through that one. But every other track on there is a classic. I just can't think of anything bad about it.

Happy Birthday, Sgt. Pepper.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
"The only track on the whole disc I don't really like is "Within You Without You." It takes a lot for me to get all the way through that one."

Yeah, I have to agree on that one. Aside from not being that great, in my opinion, it kind of had nothing to do with the genre of music for the rest of the album.

Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.