FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Creationist Museum (Page 0)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Creationist Museum
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Taking all the other events of my life into account, that explanation is just not correct to me.
And do you examine each of those events (even the seemingly meaningless ones) with a sober contemplation of cognitive biases such as confirmation bias and the extraordinary ability of your mind to recognize patterns and relationships where none actually exist?

This sort of skeptical inquiry seems extremely rare amongst my religious friends. I know one person who's primary "proof" for the veracity of his faith is that he came across a person who he only knew by name in a city of 200,000 during a religious mission. He put the odds of that encounter at 1 in 200,000 and states that figure every time he recounts the story.

First, the person was an adult male in his 40s, which would account for something less than 1/5 of the population. He was also encountered on a busy street near his place of employment. It's still a pretty unlikely event, but it was nowhere near as unlikely as my friend wanted it to be. Getting struck by lightening, which has an actual probability of occurring to you at around 1 in 200,000 does happen, but few people believe it's a miracle when it happens to them.

By marking every supposed miraculous coincidence and "spiritual" feeling in the "plus" column and not even allowing a "minus" column, religion seems to be a one-way street by which one can convince oneself and fellow travelers of the truth of a notion for which there is no real evidence. Like a murder trial where only evidence for the defense is permitted, even those that leave the faith don't show possible errors in the theology, rather those people are considered to have simply "lost their testimony."

Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MattP:
He put the odds of that encounter at 1 in 200,000 and states that figure every time he recounts the story.

Well, just remind him that we live in a country with 300,000,000 people. So, statistically, if something has 1 in 1,000,000 odds, it's happened to around 300 people.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dkw:
quote:
Originally posted by twinky:
All it takes is one person to feel like they've had a "spiritual experience" in the course of this experiment for your assertion that "the feelings have not yet been replicated in a lab setting" to be falsified.

I don't think that's true. Just because someone describes their experience as "a spiritual experience" doesn't mean that their feelings were anything close to what another person also describes as "a spiritual experience." The term is way too broad.
In the experiment I linked, the responses were broad as well: subjects generally reported having spiritual experiences that reflected their individual religious backgrounds.

The assertion was that the feelings associated with a personal spiritual experience have yet to be replicated in a lab. Clearly, the feelings associated with the personal spiritual experiences of at least some of those 900+ people have been replicated in a lab, which falsifies the assertion. As BlackBlade noted, though, to determine whether the feelings he personally associates with spiritual experiences have been replicated in a lab, he would have to try the experiment himself... and even that might not answer the question.

The trouble is, the "my spiritual experiences aren't like that" rejoinder makes it extremely easy for theists to write off all of the experiments done in this vein as inapplicable to whatever their personal brand of "spiritual experience" happens to be. I think that begs an analogy to the god of the gaps.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my sticking points is that we are willing to give God so much slack, when it makes absolutely zero sense to do so.

If you expect your child to do something, you obviously need to make it clear to them what you want them to do. You can't stand in the back room and mumble into a pillow, and then expect the child to understand you.

If your boss pointed at a desk and threw brick though the window, you wouldn't know if he wanted you to organize it, file the papers, repair the wobbly leg, move it to a better location, donate it to charity, sit there yourself... It's horrible communication. Only a crazy person would work in that kind of office.

Yet we seem to think it's right and normal that an all powerful being, who we presume has our best interests at heart, who we presume wants to have a meaningful relationship with us, refuses to ever give us a clear answer, allows us to wander blindly, allows most of us to go astray completely, allows us access to countless contradictory directions - none of which we can be sure did or didn't come from Him, and then will reward or punish us - for eternity - based on these actions.

If you came into work, and there were thousands of post-it notes with various directions all over the office, each of your co-workers told you different things that you were supposed to be doing, and your boss was nowhere to be seen - although occasionally while you were working a loud boom or flash of light would momentarily distract you, how could you ever do your job? Why would you keep working there?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Taking all the other events of my life into account, that explanation is just not correct to me.
And do you examine each of those events (even the seemingly meaningless ones) with a sober contemplation of cognitive biases such as confirmation bias and the extraordinary ability of your mind to recognize patterns and relationships where none actually exist?

This sort of skeptical inquiry seems extremely rare amongst my religious friends. I know one person who's primary "proof" for the veracity of his faith is that he came across a person who he only knew by name in a city of 200,000 during a religious mission. He put the odds of that encounter at 1 in 200,000 and states that figure every time he recounts the story.

First, the person was an adult male in his 40s, which would account for something less than 1/5 of the population. He was also encountered on a busy street near his place of employment. It's still a pretty unlikely event, but it was nowhere near as unlikely as my friend wanted it to be. Getting struck by lightening, which has an actual probability of occurring to you at around 1 in 200,000 does happen, but few people believe it's a miracle when it happens to them.

By marking every supposed miraculous coincidence and "spiritual" feeling in the "plus" column and not even allowing a "minus" column, religion seems to be a one-way street by which one can convince oneself and fellow travelers of the truth of a notion for which there is no real evidence. Like a murder trial where only evidence for the defense is permitted, even those that leave the faith don't show possible errors in the theology, rather those people are considered to have simply "lost their testimony."

I've yet to encounter an idea much less a group where no matter how right they were EVERYONE agreed with it. If 6 million Mormons all left the church right now, I would seriously consider the reason for such a huge exodus, but that by itself would not persuade me that what I believe is wrong.

And you are wrong that religious conversion is a one way street. I taught a woman who no matter what we tried simply did not get a spiritual witness of the Book of Mormon, nor could she attend church on a regular basis. I didn't have an answer for her as to why she was getting nothing. All I could suggest was that she evaluate anything in her life that could be making communication impossible but I didn't call her a sinner for asking politely to not continue with the discussions.

As far as I am concerned its up to God to explain his actions to each individual, not me.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

- posted      Profile for Xaposert           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you expect your child to do something, you obviously need to make it clear to them what you want them to do.
This is not always true. There are many times where a parent wants a child to do something, but wants the child to choose to do it, without having to be told to.

I don't think God's intentions are to get us to do exactly what He wants us to do. He is not like a boss at work, trying to get work done. Rather, I think it is more about getting us to be the sorts of people that He would like us to be. And that means what we do can sometimes matter less than why we do it.

Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
This is not always true. There are many times where a parent wants a child to do something, but wants the child to choose to do it, without having to be told to.
These parents do communicate clearly to their children outside of these specific circumstances, right? And aren't the choices the parents want children to make in these circumstances based on what they've learned from their prior clear communication?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

I would hope most parents want their child to make decisions based not just upon what those parents explicitly told that child, but also upon what the child has observed for himself or herself.
Posts: 2432 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Sure, but I can't observe God. The complaint is that God is vague in his interactions with the physical world to the point that it's difficult to argue convincingly that he's actually there unless you're talking to someone that already agrees with you.

You seem to be equating the absolute absence of God in the lives of his unbelieving children with the occasional reluctance of an otherwise attentive parent to provide guidance in specific situations.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade, why should we believe that your experiences are different?

We have your word, and the words of all the others.

Each of you says essentially the same thing. And when they sound the same to an outside observer, have the same effects, and can in fact be simulated in a lab, what is one supposed to ocnclude?

What would you conclude if this was the evidence presented in some other, non-religious psychological thing?

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
And you are wrong that religious conversion is a one way street.
The evidential process is what I'm referring to. Every time you label a particular experience "God" you increase your evidentiary support of God, while you allow no consideration to subtract from that evidence. The best you can do, (and this is rare, in my experience) is to decide after the fact that perhaps one of those "spiritual" experiences wasn't spiritual after all, usually because of interference from the real world such as when a friend's sexually abusive father was called by inspiration to be an LDS Bishop where he served for several years before being reported.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
BlackBlade, why should we believe that your experiences are different?

We have your word, and the words of all the others.

Each of you says essentially the same thing. And when they sound the same to an outside observer, have the same effects, and can in fact be simulated in a lab, what is one supposed to ocnclude?

What would you conclude if this was the evidence presented in some other, non-religious psychological thing?

You don't HAVE to believe me. God is completely capable of speaking for himself. Go out there and see if there really is a God out there. Go live your life as best you can, and if one day God visits you make sure you are ready to listen. God does not do anyone any favors when he visits the unprepared.

edit: But if you live your life with the unshakable conclusion that there is no way a God could exist because the world seems so convoluted then you probably wouldn't believe God anyway even if he explained it all.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Go live your life as best you can, and if one day God visits you make sure you are ready to listen.

When most people (statistically) do this and get an answer from what they believe is god, it is not the god that you believe in. Are those people any less sincere? And if they are sincere, how can we, the unbelievers, differentiate between y'all?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
And you are wrong that religious conversion is a one way street.
The evidential process is what I'm referring to. Every time you label a particular experience "God" you increase your evidentiary support of God, while you allow no consideration to subtract from that evidence. The best you can do, (and this is rare, in my experience) is to decide after the fact that perhaps one of those "spiritual" experiences wasn't spiritual after all, usually because of interference from the real world such as when a friend's sexually abusive father was called by inspiration to be an LDS Bishop where he served for several years before being reported.
How do you even know he was called by inspiration? Now if YOU yourself felt you had been told by God to call the man and in fact he turns out to have been the devil himself for at least a decade before being then you need to consider,

1: Did I make a mistake?

2: Perhaps what I believe is God is not.

Now if you could produce proof that say the Book of Mormon was not true, or that Joseph Smith was not just capable of human error but actually an evil person, then I would probably sluff off religion and leave the possibility of God open, but VERY skeptical in believing in anything specific about Him. In fact I'd probably have difficulty believing anything ever again.

Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Now if you could produce proof that say the Book of Mormon was not true
I just want to point out, we can give you evidence that claims the Book of Mormon makes are false...which may or may not add up to "proof" that it isn't true, depending on how you feel.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Javert:
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
Go live your life as best you can, and if one day God visits you make sure you are ready to listen.

When most people (statistically) do this and get an answer from what they believe is god, it is not the god that you believe in. Are those people any less sincere? And if they are sincere, how can we, the unbelievers, differentiate between y'all?
For crying out loud quick asking me, "But BlackBlade, how can we know the difference between you and WhiteBlade the Muslim."

Leave the convincing to God, if you have an experience that leads you to believe Jesus was the way, and along comes a Muslim whose words stir you into accepting Mohamed then go that route. God's as far as I know is not going to get upset at you for following your convictions, only for being intentionally less then you could be, or a fool or gullible.

I personally have found more truth in Mormonism then any other religion, it has made me want to be better as a person and increased what I believe to be my understanding of God. It has shown me miracles in my life and in the lives of others. Could I be wrong, yes, but so could you.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
Now if you could produce proof that say the Book of Mormon was not true
I just want to point out, we can give you evidence that claims the Book of Mormon makes are false...which may or may not add up to "proof" that it isn't true, depending on how you feel.
Well I've heard that claim many times. It usually does not cut mustard, and not because I am unwilling to believe it.
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
1: Did I make a mistake?

2: Perhaps what I believe is God is not.

My point exactly. There's no 3: God doesn't really inspire callings. It just isn't even a conceivable response because it's a -1 and only 0 or +1 are allowed.
MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
Well I've heard that claim many times. It usually does not cut mustard, and not because I am unwilling to believe it.
A plain review of the evidence is fairly convincing to an objective outsider, but FARMS is pretty good at framing it in a way that it doesn't seem so damning to a believer, so I don't usually get into that.
Javert
Member # 3076

What's FARMS?
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Yet the other people will say God spoke to them as well.

In fact, the God they claim spoke to them depends on what beliefs they possess, as well!

And I've already gone out there, I've already looked. I was ready throughout all my childhood, I knew God was there, believed it all my heart. You could never sway me from that faith.

Then, I learned how the human mind works. And I noticed how no answers I ever got were anything other than what I wanted to feel. My own thoughts, feelings. Even the random, completely new ones. My mind does that the exact same way even when not praying.

In the end, to make a long story short, and it is very long, I was prepared, I have been prepared, but I will not believe anymore in something in which the only evidence is, which you've shown so very clearly, "because I believe it."

That's all any of your arguements fall down to. Subjective belief, a feeling. A feeling of certainty, surely, but those don't mean a damn thing, as I've observed elsewhere.

All you have is your assertions, your personal feelings, which you believe are somehow different, yet sound identical to those of many, many others, in contradictory religions.

You agree there's a possibility for false revelation, but you give no way to discern between the two, and you do not admit the possibility that you are having a false one. Only those other people who are as certain as you, only in something else. probably have it, essentially.

You have shown nothing at all convincing, and now I can't play at something I don't believe anymore. I just wouldn't admit it. That last bit is the fault of no one here, btw.

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies. It's an academic organization that attempts to fit historical data to Mormon doctrine and "official" history.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Foundation for Ancient Research and Mormon Studies
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Wow. A ton of posts came between the thing I was responding to and my response. Joy.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by 0Megabyte:
Yet the other people will say God spoke to them as well.

In fact, the God they claim spoke to them depends on what beliefs they possess, as well!

And I've already gone out there, I've already looked. I was ready throughout all my childhood, I knew God was there, believed it all my heart. You could never sway me from that faith.

Then, I learned how the human mind works. And I noticed how no answers I ever got were anything other than what I wanted to feel. My own thoughts, feelings. Even the random, completely new ones. My mind does that the exact same way even when not praying.

In the end, to make a long story short, and it is very long, I was prepared, I have been prepared, but I will not believe anymore in something in which the only evidence is, which you've shown so very clearly, "because I believe it."

That's all any of your arguements fall down to. Subjective belief, a feeling. A feeling of certainty, surely, but those don't mean a damn thing, as I've observed elsewhere.

All you have is your assertions, your personal feelings, which you believe are somehow different, yet sound identical to those of many, many others, in contradictory religions.

You agree there's a possibility for false revelation, but you give no way to discern between the two, and you do not admit the possibility that you are having a false one. Only those other people who are as certain as you, only in something else. probably have it, essentially.

You have shown nothing at all convincing, and now I can't play at something I don't believe anymore. I just wouldn't admit it. That last bit is the fault of no one here, btw.

If you say so, it is not within my power to make you see things as I see them.

It does not bother me in the least that MY experiences do not persuade you. A religion where we did not have to do the work ourselves and could instead leech off the experiences of other would be useless to me.

How old are you 0Megabyte? Because unless you are somewhere in the ball park of 70-80 years old don't whine to me about trying and not getting anything. There are people in much harsher circumstances who at very advanced ages found something of value in organized religion, and many of them were atheists for decades.

You are asking something from me that my own theology specifies as impossible. If I could provide an easy precise way to find God, everybody could just do it and that is not a good idea. But you are welcome to your own POV, if you are so certain my religion has nothing new to offer there is not much I can do about that.

MattP
Member # 10495

quote:
You are asking something from me that my own theology specifies as impossible. If I could provide an easy precise way to find God, everybody could just do it and that is not a good idea.
Isn't it a tenet of your faith that everyone can find God and that it needn't take years to do so? Isn't that what Moroni's Challenge is all about?
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

"If you say so, it is not within my power to make you see things as I see them."

No. Partly because our very frameworks for looking at the world are different. I'm a skeptic, in the most positive sense: Unless there's positive evidence for something, I assume something's false. That's generally a good way to do it, because assuming something's true until proven otherwise is a very unwise position, for many reasons.

"It does not bother me in the least that MY experiences do not persuade you."

It's not your experiences that don't move me. It's your lack of evidence for God in the first place.

" A religion where we did not have to do the work ourselves and could instead leech off the experiences of other would be useless to me."

I've done the work. The conclusion it's come to with me is different than yours. Don't assume I'm just some lost soul who hasn't found it yet.

"How old are you 0Megabyte?"

Knowledge of truth or falsehood is unrelated to age, if you don't let your emotions get in the way.

"Because unless you are somewhere in the ball park of 70-80 years old don't whine to me about trying and not getting anything."

Whine? Don't you dare patronize me. The Mormon faith, your faith, claims that if I read your book, search my soul, ask God for the truth, He will reveal it. I've done that very thing, with both your Book of Mormon, the Bible in general, and God in particular.

The answer was simple: Silence. I tell you a little of MY experience of faith, and you call it whining! Please!

You should stop whining about how we shouldn't need evidence then.

"There are people in much harsher circumstances who at very advanced ages found something of value in organized religion, and many of them were atheists for decades."

There are people who do the opposite too. So what? That doesn't make someone right. And when you're close to death, there's a benefit to going back to religion: You see your death becoming immenant, and death is the great primal fear of our species. A religion that promises an afterlife, which is familiar to a weak old person, is obviously going to be both comforting and attractive. It has nothing to do with God showing Himself to them.

"You are asking something from me that my own theology specifies as impossible."

No I'm not. I'm saying I did what your missionaries, and yourself, told me to do, already and the only answer I got was complete silence outside of my own thoughts and feelings. I found your Book of Mormon to ring suspiciously false to the ears. The language, for example, sounded like a 19th century fellow trying to sound ancient. As a single example.

" If I could provide an easy precise way to find God, everybody could just do it and that is not a good idea. But you are welcome to your own POV, if you are so certain my religion has nothing new to offer there is not much I can do about that. "

I never said there is nothing to offer. In fact, I pointed out the opposite early on.

The fact is, with no evidence for God, but a lot of evidence for humans being skilled at self-deception, which should I assume is correct? On the scales of evidence, which as a skeptic I tend to look at, you can guess where the scales tilt.

That's beyond the fact that I've done what you've said. I've even had what one could call a religious experience or two, thank you very much. And you can't refute that, you cannot claim it was not true.

But the cause of those experiences was not God but my own mind, my own desperate attempts to make what I so wanted to be true, true.

So don't you dare assume I'm just not there yet. That I haven't taken the journey. I can't say there is no God, but I can say there's no evidence. There's no proof at all that I've ever seen that is in any way convincing, that describes anything that natural explanations don't explain better.

Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
If we don't keep the discussion a little more in the theoretical, then it can move into the realm of "convert[ing] people to your own religious beliefs, or . . . disparag[ing] others for their own religious beliefs." If y'all don't mind, could you please rein it back just a tad? I'm not trying to shut anyone down, and I recognize that it's a grey area -- I just ask that you endeavor to keep it to the lighter side of grey.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

I believe we must take the conversation in a new direction, and prove that Papa Janitor doesn't exist.

Who's up for it? [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have met both Papa and his offspring. Even have pictorial evidence.

Go ahead, convince me.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
I have met both Papa and his offspring. Even have pictorial evidence.

Go ahead, convince me.

Um...swamp gas reflecting Venus?
rivka
Member # 4859

At least 6 different locations, some in other states. And quite a few times -- 10? more?

You're going to have to do better.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Physically seeing someone is a much better indicator of existence than having a feeling.

Your eyes may trick you, but with your multiple times physically seeing him, along with, what I'd imagine, is others seeing him, it's a lot easier to believe. [Big Grin]

MightyCow
Member # 9253

Do you feel differently when you see Papa than you feel in other circumstances? [Wink]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

Well, I've never seen him.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
Do you feel differently when you see Papa than you feel in other circumstances? [Wink]

Yup. Seeing the Meeses makes me happy. [Smile]

quote:
Well, I've never seen him.

Newbie. [Razz]
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
quote:
You are asking something from me that my own theology specifies as impossible. If I could provide an easy precise way to find God, everybody could just do it and that is not a good idea.
Isn't it a tenet of your faith that everyone can find God and that it needn't take years to do so? Isn't that what Moroni's Challenge is all about?
What I mean is a method that was as simple as say snapping the fingers, or looking through a spyglass. The method is sufficiently easy enough that anyone COULD do it. But not everyone WILL.

0Megabyte: In retrospect I owe you a bit of an apology. Its not common for me to be disparaging to anyone, but I certainly meant to irk you when I called your a whiner. For that I apologize. I try to be a good ambassador of my faith and often times it can be pretty hard channeling Jesus rather then just being human. But again that does not excuse my behavior, so I am truly sorry.

It's just frustrating to have to debate with somebody on their terms. You state that you have performed the experiment exactly as prescribed in the scriptures. That statement puts me at a disadvantage.

1: I was not there, I cannot know the nuances of your experiment or how YOU perceived things.

2: Even if I was there and let say you did EVERYTHING I don't know the will of God on the matter.

Either there just wasn't a God around to take your call, or else He chose to remain silent.

As I said before, all I can offer is that I myself had to wait longer then I thought was fair to get the experience I had desired as to God's existance and the truthfulness of the religion I had already followed for years.

I've heard of people knowing it was true the moment the touched the book, and I have heard of people getting nothing but just living their life as best they could for decades and finally it all fell into place.

Anyway, TBH I am not sure I care to continue this particular conversation but I wish you well in whatever path seems right to you.

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe we must take the conversation in a new direction, and prove that Papa Janitor doesn't exist.

Who's up for it? [Wink]

A philosphy teacher once said to prove that he did not have 3 little green men inside his watch making it work, comparing it to faith in God. I think that is a much better activity.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
My genetics teacher asked the class to prove to him that DNA was indeed the method of inheritance. He came up with his own theory and took every piece of evidence and explained how that did not disprove his theory and in some ways even strengthened it.

edit to add: my philosophy teacher used the little alien from Flintstones that kept getting Fred in trouble.

[ June 21, 2007, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: scholar ]

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
My sister had a humanities teacher that used the example of a giant pink bunny that was invisible and only he could see.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xaposert
Member # 1612

The point of those things is that asking for proof of everything you believe is futile. You cannot truly prove the vast majority of your beliefs, including things that we are all extremely confident are true.

I think our beliefs typically require four different elements:
1. Evidence, with which to base our belief upon
2. Logic, with which to determine what we can infer directly from our evidence
3. Judgement, with which to make conclusions that can't be inferred directly from the evidence, but which we personally believe the evidence supports
4. Faith, so we can trust the conclusions that can't be inferred directly from the evidence but that we judge to be true based on that evidence nonetheless

I think most discussions about God go awry because it is much easier to discuss only (1), (2), and (4): What evidence do we have, what can we prove with it, and is it okay to have faith in things that we can't prove? But the truth is nobody can prove their religious view is correct based solely on evidence and logic - not even atheists. And even if we were to agree it is wise to have faith in things that go beyond what the evidence can say, that does not tell us anything about which beliefs we should have faith in.

Instead, the critical point at which atheists and members of different religions disagree is Judgement (3). We don't agree on what jumps are wise to make beyond the evidence. Should we use Occam's Razor? Should we trust the Bible? Should we trust personal experiences? The answers we give to those sorts of questions will determine whether we are atheists, theists, or whatever. But those are "should" questions. They don't have clear answers. We can't really do a study to determine if trusting the Bible is wise. As a result, we aren't going to be able to prove to others that our methods of judgement are better than theirs. That's not to say it isn't productive; it just means you can't expect to force anyone to change their viewpoint, and should not get frustrated when they don't.

MattP
Member # 10495

The problem with #3 is that there is no control on it. It's the point in the process where we start believing things because we want them to be true or we discard evidence because it doesn't fit our established beliefs. It's spiritual overdraft protection. "Well, my evidence and logic accounts are empty, but I've still got $225 in the judgment account, so God really did help me find my car keys."

My frustration is not with the specific beliefs but the runaway dependence on #3.

#4 is just a byproduct of #1-#3.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

One thing I consider are the implications of various beliefs that I could hold on a particular matter. How will various ideas that I could have about something work in reality?

For example, I could choose to believe that the Theory of Gravity is just a theory, and doesn't hold any real weight (har, har). Maybe gravity won't work one second from now, and when I jump out of my seat, I'll keep floating up to the ceiling. Nope. Still working.

True, I have to have faith and use my judgment in many areas of my life. Maybe the sun won't be there tomorrow. Maybe the laws of physics will change. Maybe I'll realize that Zeus is my patron Olympian deity, and if I don't sacrifice a fatted calf he'll throw lightening bolts at my car tomorrow.

Some of these beliefs and judgments are critical to my life, and easily confirmed, even if only in the short term, from observations. Others are at best guesses, and can be swapped out for other guesses with no real life consequences, or at least no observable consequences.

If I worship Zeus, Christian God, the Earth Mother, Satan, or nobody 5 minutes from now, I won't be able to observe any difference. If I throw a chair over my head and believe really hard that gravity isn't real, I'll learn unequivocally that I'm wrong.

I very well could be wrong about my spiritual beliefs as well, but since I can't find out one way or the other with any degree of certainty, it seems rather pointless to me to bother.

Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:

Nope. Still working.

I'd hope so, I think gravity is a law, not a theory. Not that I am defending creationists in any way.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

However, the term law, in scientific settings, is essentially not much different than a theory at all.

It's basically jazzing it up because it's so important. It has no higher level of truth than a scientific theory.

And in fact, Newton's laws, as to gravity et al, weren't actually accurate. Einstein's theories, as an example, supplanted them.

We still use them, though, because they're useful in the scope of everyday activity and the difference made by using the other calculations when gauging something on a terrestrial level is minimal.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

"0Megabyte: In retrospect I owe you a bit of an apology. Its not common for me to be disparaging to anyone, but I certainly meant to irk you when I called your a whiner. For that I apologize. I try to be a good ambassador of my faith and often times it can be pretty hard channeling Jesus rather then just being human. But again that does not excuse my behavior, so I am truly sorry."

Your apology accepted.

"It's just frustrating to have to debate with somebody on their terms. You state that you have performed the experiment exactly as prescribed in the scriptures. That statement puts me at a disadvantage."

Perhaps. But debating on my terms is simply this: Evidence. I want some. I'm not even asking for a lot. When it comes to Papa Moose, I believe he exists, or at least someone uses that name, first of all because his posts are evident, and people have made sure their claim that they have seen him, physically. Not in a vision, but with their eyes, their senses.

With God, nobody's seen Him physically. Not in a way that other human beings sitting beside them could see, anyway. You cannot call up God and say "hey, this guy doesn't believe, show up with me today so he sees, okay?" You can with, say, Papa Moose, at least it's feasible.

God's feelings are vague enough to be easily interpreted as something else. The same feelings of religious rapture can be done to a person in a lab. The human mind tricks itself in so many other subjects. In other words, it's not at all clear.

On the other hand, to argue on your own terms presupposes God's existence, and presupposes the validity of religious experience. Though I'm not at all perfect, I simply cannot go from that perspective, either.

Really, it seems we both have troubles with the others terms. It's hard to talk in that case, and it's clearly been hard.

"1: I was not there, I cannot know the nuances of your experiment or how YOU perceived things.

2: Even if I was there and let say you did EVERYTHING I don't know the will of God on the matter"

1: Yes. You cannot. Nor can I know for sure if I did whatever correctly.

2: IF God has a will, then it evidently wasn't for me to find truth in the Book of Mormon, or even God at all, at that or at this time. Because I didn't. Assuming there is one, of course.

You cannot know if I did it right. In the same vein, I cannot know if I did it wrong, truly. Really, to respond to my word,s you could always say I evidently didn't do it right, and we'd be stuck. Thank you for not. I'll concede I may have done it wrong. But how can I know, then, if it's such a personal thing?

"As I said before, all I can offer is that I myself had to wait longer then I thought was fair to get the experience I had desired as to God's existance and the truthfulness of the religion I had already followed for years."

Well, we'll see, won't we? I don't say God doesn't exist, just that I find no evidence. And, udnerstanding my mind, I can tell when I'm just fooling myself, at least to an extent, now.

"I've heard of people knowing it was true the moment the touched the book, and I have heard of people getting nothing but just living their life as best they could for decades and finally it all fell into place."

Perhaps. But others do not ever, even if they want it. To compare these anecdotes is meaningless, as neither the ones who get it nor the ones who don't, even when combined, do not really say anything about truth.

"Anyway, TBH I am not sure I care to continue this particular conversation but I wish you well in whatever path seems right to you. "

First, I don't know what TBH means. Could you tell me?

And second. If you do not wish to continue this conversation, alright.

In the end, I'm sorry. By asking my original questions, I realized fully how little evidence I had for God in the first place. Which actually kind of sucks! And it must be distressing, to see somebody go that route. But I'm a skeptic in the positive sense. I try not to believe anything without viable evidence. Or at least keep it at the assumption of negative. It's like... all ideas and statements are innocent of truth until proven guilty. And to prove guilty, you need to get rid of all reasonable doubt. That analogy works. And nothing here has gotten rid of reasonable doubt, while people seeing Papa Moose, along with his responses, combined with the general trustworthiness of the person who mentioned it, well... that does kill reasonable doubt.

WE'll end the conversation though. I hope I didn't upset you here.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
WE'll end the conversation though. I hope I didn't upset you here.
Certainly not, I just needed a day or two before I'm willing to talk candidly about religion.

TBH = To Be Honest.

Sometimes its written as, TBQH

To Be Quite Honest.

0Megabyte
Member # 8624

Ahh. Thanks.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think gravity is a law, not a theory.
This reflects a misunderstanding of what the word "theory" means in a scientific context. A theory is any explanation of observed facts, regardless of how sure we are of that explanation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yep. Scientific laws tell us what happens; theories tell us why.

Gravity. It's not just a good idea, it's the law!

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.