FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Nothing has ever made me so mad...

Author Topic: Nothing has ever made me so mad...
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
Golf. I hate the game, but love it. Love to hate it? I don't know. It made me angry tonight.

I just played tonight and hit a ball so poorly that it struck the ladies tee marker and it rebounded straight at me to the point where I had to duck to avoid getting knocked out by the ball. [Embarrassed]

I usually play OK, but tonight made me realize that those little golf balls can be dangerous. I hit my dad last week because he got in front of me without telling me... [Frown] [Embarrassed]

So, anybody else play the game? Handicap? Stories?

Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Golf is evil. Honestly, I've never really played it. Mostly mini golf or driving ranges, but never real golf. Still, I say it is evil. That might just be the alcohol talking, though.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

That's funny, I play better after a few... [Wink]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I might too. But I haven't played in long enough that I would know. Honestly, I probably shouldn't be posting right now, but I'm trying to talk to someone online, and I need something to do while I wait.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I've played a couple times. I found it rather enjoyable when you play with friends and no one is playing behind you staring angrily at you because you suck and it takes forever to finish a hole. Even when you let them playthrough they still glare at you the whole time. Snobby bastards.

Driving is the most fun, as I royally suck at putting. Years of the windmill hole at putt putt has left me no more capable of putting than not having all that experience would have. I thought it would have helped a LITTLE.

I should say I don't find it RELAXING as many people describe it, but I think it's a fun afternoon*.

* - This fun is only present with the use of a golf cart. Without the golf cart, the game isn't worth playing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
You could putt all the way to the green in a regular course... if you don't mind being ten over par each hole.

Golf isn't my style. It's... what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah... "outdoors".

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember: "Golf" is "Flog" spelled backwards.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[Smile] I never really play a lot, it just makes me mad. My dad is the one that drags me out every other day, I more or less like the time with him instead of playing.
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy it, because I don't care if people are jerks and I like plotting the trajectory to a T and then have it go somewhere completely random.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
I love (to hate) the game, hence my name. I work and work at it and rarely see any improvement. Last month I thought I was hitting rather poorly yet shot a 89. Now I seem to be hitting so much better and can't break a 100. It makes no sense. Nothing carries over from practice to the course.
Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
*Agrees with whoever said that driving is the most fun* [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the point of golf was communal hatred of the game, followed by the consumption of alcohol.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

I always enjoy the latter of your statement Tom. I do like being outdoors, and I like it when I play well, but that's rare. The after-round drinking is always fun. [Smile]
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
Remember: "Golf" is "Flog" spelled backwards.

When I was little, my brother hit me in the head with a golf club.

Maybe that's what's wrong with me.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had 5 hours in a row for which I didn't have several other claims on my time. If you have, perhaps you should consider getting a life.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I was just thinking that anyone who can't ever put together 5 hours in a row to do something for themselves doesn't have a life.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Golf is the best way I can think of to ruin a perfectly good walk. [Razz]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Google tells me that quote is attributed to Twain, Churchill, and Hemingway.

At least you're in good company. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll accept that company.

I knew I wasn't the first one to say that, but I figured that so many have said it that it is in the public domain by now. Also, I was too lazy to look it up so early in the morning. [Smile]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Golf is extremely good for me. I occasionally just go to the driving range, but I much prefer mini golf. I get INCREDIBLY angry, much more so then any activity I think of, and I get to practice controlling that anger. I'm a pretty cool headed person, but golf is just something else in terms of a challenge.

I remember as a child being taken to a mini golf course and getting so mad I slammed my club into the ground and made a tiny dent in the astro turf. My father took me to the manager of the course and on the way pointed out all the damage other people had made for likely the same reasons. He then made me confess everything to the manager as well as ask what punishment he thought would be appropriate. Fortunately for me the manager simply took down what hole the damage had been done at and said to learn to control my temper. Had he said anything short of eternal servitude at the course my dad would have probably made it stick.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love mini golf. With regular golf, I have a problem hitting the ball. Mini golf, not so much.

Besides, the obstacles are more fun with the smaller version. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, my boss just got this in his email:

Golf Poem

In my hand I hold a ball, white and dimpled, rather small
Oh, how bland it does appear, tThis harmless looking little sphere
By its size I could not guess the awesome strength it does possess
But since I fell beneath its spell, I've wandered through the fires of hell...
My life has not been quite the same since I chose to play this stupid game
It rules my mind for hours on end, A fortune it has made me spend
It has made me swear and yell and cry. I hate myself and want to die.
It promises a thing called par if I can hit straight and far
To master such a tiny ball should not be very hard at all
But my desires the ball refuses and does exactly as it chooses
It hooks and slices, dribbles and dies and even disappears before my eyes
Often it will take a whim to hit a tree or take a swim
With miles of grass on which to land it finds a tiny patch of sand
Then has me offering up my soul if only it would find the hole
It's made me whimper like a pup and swear that I will give it up
And take a drink to ease my sorrow but the ball knows I'll be back again tomorrow!!!!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
And I'm supposed to find time for that. I'll take my hikes with the Boy Scouts thankyou.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend is of the opinion that golf courses unnecessarily develop perfectly good pieces of nature. I can't speak for her though..

My family used to go on a Christmas golfing trip every year. It was okay. I did some of the frustrated striking of the ground too.. I'm not the most patient of people, with myself at least. It's sorta fun once I get the hang of it. I'm a terrible golfer though.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Golf is just marbles for those rich folk who don't want to sit on their haunches."

-YH

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduffer
Member # 10469

- posted      Profile for baduffer   Email baduffer         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been said that there are 18 holes to golf because there are 18 shots in a bottle of scotch.

Can't be all bad if it starts with a thought like that. [Smile]

Actually there are not many professional sports where they get paid by their actual performance or that the participants call penalties on themselves that might cost them thousands of dollars or that courtesy and consideration of those you play with are foremost. Golf teaches a lot of good lessons, not the least of which are patience and sportsmanship.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

Very true.
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I think George Carlin did a bit about how if you counted up all the land that is used (wasted, in his mind) for golf courses it would equal the area of Rhode Island.

Or maybe it was graveyards...

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.