FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Democratic Debate Transcripts (now 2nd)

Author Topic: Democratic Debate Transcripts (now 2nd)
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
27Apr07

03June07

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Can they stop asking questions on Iraq? We get it, they want to end the war. I want to hear more on their domestic policies, and I want to hear specifics.

I was more impressed by Biden than I have been in the past. He needs to work on his public speaking, but his candor and good grasp on the issues is impressive to me. I already know Hillary and Obama, though I'm waiting to hear their specific plans, but Biden just popped into the number three spot in my mind (bumping out Bill Richardson) I think.

I agree with Hillary on English as the national language.

I'm nervous about Edwards and how much money he wants to spend. I think we do in fact need to spend a lot of money to fix ignored domestic woes, but I think that needs to be tied into a four year budget that reduces military spending (there ARE places that can be nipped and tucked, and having to not spend another half trillion on the war would help). And I think taxes need to go up for a lot of people. You can't get something for nothing, I don't think a majority of Americans realize that.

I liked the argument on national healthcare plans, hopefully through all that discussion we'll get a workable plan.

I'm about halfway through reading the transcript, and this is the best, most honest thing I have yet heard a candidate utter on gas prices and energy:

quote:
There's nothing I would do as president to lower the price of gasoline right now. We Americans have to grow up. If we want to get off of the dependency in the Middle East, we have to own up to the problem. These things cost money. They're controlling our society.

And the sooner we stop fighting these wars -- here, stop and think. You only see $3. Just watch those wheels turn. There's another $4, which is what we spend to keep American troops around the world to keep the price.

So you're paying more than seven dollars a gallon; you just don't know it.

Anyone who says anything else is BSing you.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the second half now:

I am again struck by Dennis Kucinich's naivte when it comes to military policy. I think he would be a disastrous commander in chief.

I think Senator Dodd and maybe some of the other senators are kidding themselves with respect to what kinds of gear the military needs. The F-22 is essential to our future Air Force. I think it will last us for decades before it needs replacing, but it needs to be built. Just because RIGHT NOW our biggest threat appears to be terrorists doesn't mean that in the future we won't tango with a more powerful enemy. And just because China is our biggest trade partner doesn't mean they aren't also a potential enemy, or Russia for that matter. China is increasing military spending at a much faster rate than we are, they are playing catchup.

I like Bill Richardson's idea of a minimum wage for teachers.

All in all I was extremely impressed with Joe Biden's view on pretty much everything. It's sad to see him so low in the polls right now, but I might just vote for him if his ideas all pan out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.