FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When is Ender's Game the movie coming out?

Author Topic: When is Ender's Game the movie coming out?
XiDa
Member # 10523

- posted      Profile for XiDa   Email XiDa         Edit/Delete Post 
So I'm just wondering after reading almost all of Ender and Bean's Quarlet when the movie is going to come out. I've heard it's not anytime before 2008, but I'm wondering if it's in 2008 when in 2008 then? [Confused]
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Not in 2008 considering a script has not been approved by the studio yet.

Be patient. The longer it takes, the better technology will be for the special effects.

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a FAQ's guide to our forums? So people can quickly check links to what many would consider the top searched things here? If so, a thread for official movie update4s would be good.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe it won't start filming until the love-child of Jake Lloyd and Haley Joel Osment's sister is of the appropriate age.

That's what I heard anyway.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
They're waiting for spaceflight with cheap tourist-class seating because they can't afford to CGI the special effects.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Bok, it'll be Haley Joel Osment and the sister of Jake Lloyd.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time they make the movie it will be Haley Joel Osment and Jake Lloyd. Cloned and melded.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who teaches at the high school Jake Lloyd is going to/graduating from (according to wikipedia), I'm going to have to ask her if he's popular or a big deal there. I'm betting not, unless he now plays football.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm disappointed. I saw the subject line, and I expected to see people telling XiDa that the movie had already been released.

Have you people gone soft?

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Stryker
Member # 10517

- posted      Profile for Mr. Stryker   Email Mr. Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
If they do ever come out with a movie (which i seriously doubt) I will not see it. It won't do the book justice.

And I've been around this forum for years now, and every time this topic comes up, we all drool over the concept, realize that no child could do the part of ender justice, and then cry silently to ourselves...

And yes we have gotten soft... We need Slash to come back...

Edit: Typos irritate me

[ June 05, 2007, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Stryker ]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Er...I don't think that's ever been the general consensus, Mssr. Stryker.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Stryker
Member # 10517

- posted      Profile for Mr. Stryker   Email Mr. Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Name one child actor who could play the part of ender.

I know many professional adult actors who would be hard pressed to play such a conflicted role...

Posts: 20 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, I've seen a lot of very young actors blow my mind, but it is easier to remember the bad ones.

Plus the really natural sincere ones don't usually gain much celebrity, since they are CHILDREN.

I'm looking forward to the movie.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, there are members who despair-- and there are some who think the industry is actually doing a fairly good job with children actors.

:shrug:

I don't think that Ender is particularly conflicted, at least not as a major component of his character.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Christian Bale as a young boy could have played Ender, of this I am sure.

He was phenominal in Empire of the Sun.

[ June 05, 2007, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan2006
Member # 9387

- posted      Profile for Nathan2006   Email Nathan2006         Edit/Delete Post 
Never. Muhuhahahaha.
Posts: 438 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. My first thought was, "With new members, come old questions..." Especially since there was just a thread on newbies, now that registration is open again.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
My question is: why do we keep bumping this thread?

Oh yea...I just did it too. Whoops.

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I have a friend who teaches at the high school Jake Lloyd is going to/graduating from (according to wikipedia), I'm going to have to ask her if he's popular or a big deal there. I'm betting not, unless he now plays football.

Well he does come to MGM Studios every summer to sign autographs and be in a parade*. I'm guessing most of his classmates don't do that.

*I'm vaguely embarrassed to admit I added his autograph to my OSC-autographed poster of him reading Ender's Game.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XiDa
Member # 10523

Hmmm now that everyone has brought the acting problem up, now the big question comes. Who is small enough to be Bean? And also do spectacular stuff in the Battle Room?
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
By the time Ender'sGame is cast, Hollywood will hire genetic engineers to create a Beany baby.
The BattleRoom will be no problem: even thrifty orbital motels will have 'em. Kinda like Earthside motels have swimming pools.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matt
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for matt   Email matt         Edit/Delete Post 
..and beam the movie (after purchase!) into your brand-new iBrain.....
Posts: 148 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madb
Member # 10532

- posted      Profile for Madb   Email Madb         Edit/Delete Post 
I never understood why certain movies ever get made whilst other's don't.

I mean how have the exec's figured that there is more money in movies like "TV the movie" (<3 you steve) than in something with and actual plotline, good characters and an involving chain of events.

Go figure, I guess we really do need an Ocean's 13.

- MaSTERdb

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

All right guys, I mean it this time:

STOP BUMPING THIS THREAD!!! [Mad]

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

Oh...wait....whooops...

[Blushing]

XiDa
Member # 10523

Hope they have flying cars in the movie by 2008:)
Lisa
Member # 8384

Although I suspect the Enders Game movie might come out before the next Alvin book. <ducking>
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, no one has pointed out yet in this thread that Sequoyah can play Ender. He has a new head shot up at IMDb now, and I found a way to put up the plays he's been in. I only put the bigger ones though. Course he still looks 5 even in his new headshots, I think it's the cheeks.

Sequoyah

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
After watching the beginning of the third X-Men film, I though, "Hey, they can de-age Jake Lloyd for Ender's Game!"
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
in regards to the acting problem, they just have to do the same thing LOTR did for hobbits. Nicholas Cage as Bean?
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
...and Keanu Reeves as Ender.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

No, Peter O'Toole as Ender.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I want Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson for Bean.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Nicholson as Peter.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
And if only Pat Morita was alive to play Mazer Rackham.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Dame Maggie Smith as Petra.
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by otterk10:
And if only Pat Morita was alive to play Mazer Rackham.

How well would his zombie do?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one here who thinks casting won't be very hard?

For a variety of reasons, they aren't likely to use any currently or soon-to-be famous child actors. That leaves only a few adult roles to command a high salary. The rest of the cast will be kids who have no Hollywood experience (and thus, will not be very expensive).

Finding appropriate kids who can act will be pretty easy. Right now, the Cub Scout pack I used to be a member of could supply about half of the child actors needed, with the requisite diversity. I personally know several very young kids who nonetheless are able to carry a major role. As an added benefit, cub scouts would have no trouble adjusting to a battle school mindset.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
i wish i was a cub scout. mabe then they would let me play Bonzo.
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Bonzo will be played by Dennis Hopper.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Madb:
I never understood why certain movies ever get made whilst other's don't.

I mean how have the exec's figured that there is more money in movies like "TV the movie" (<3 you steve) than in something with and actual plotline, good characters and an involving chain of events.

Go figure, I guess we really do need an Ocean's 13.

- MaSTERdb

If only making a movie were that easy.

Ender's Game would've been made years ago, and LOTR would have 10 movies out.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XiDa
Member # 10523

They should just make a cartoon version if they really can't find the actors without having special effects 100% of the time for the adult actors to be kids.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.