FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Twin Towers brought down by demolitions...

Author Topic: Twin Towers brought down by demolitions...
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate conspiricy theories. I hate Rosie O'Donnell. But I've been looking at this and damn it all to hell if I'm not really starting to worry that those towers were brought down with demolitions.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The notion has been thoroughly refuted. There're reasons the really popular videos and websites advocating such stances have to keep taking down and changing their 'evidence'.

Is there any particular piece of evidence you find worrisome that you'd like to see refuted in detail?

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah. Jay and Resh both return to the board on the same day? What did we do to deserve this?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't we been through this several times here already?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate conspiracy theories too, but the idea that JFK's assassination was in fact a suicide assisted by time travel, especially considering the video evidence produced by the BBC (in its Red Dwarf science series) has begun to make me question if it can be true.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Gah. Jay and Resh both return to the board on the same day? What did we do to deserve this?

Probably the same thing that brought you back.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to worry about alien abductions, myself.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! My tinfoil hat ripped last week, and I haven't made a new one yet. I imagine that I'm responsible for most of the things in this thread.

Sorry [Frown]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been playing a lot of records backwards lately.
Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite argument against the conspiracies was the observance that the guys who made loose change are still alive. If the government really was responsible for 9/11 and didn't have a problem killing so many innocent Americans, why not get rid of those guys before their ridiculous movie hit the Internet?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
That's what the government wants you to think. Killing them would be a giveaway.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
They were killed. didnt you notice?
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
The government tried, but the guys behind Loose Change distributed Guy Fawkes costumes to hundreds of thousands of citizens, and the government killed the wrong people.

The ensuing riots resulted in the overthrow of the democratic tyranny, and we're currently enjoying a utopian anarchy.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah so thats what that was.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
I hate conspiricy theories. I hate Rosie O'Donnell. But I've been looking at this and damn it all to hell if I'm not really starting to worry that those towers were brought down with demolitions.

You may cease worrying until some evidence comes out to support those claims that stands up to critical review.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Qaz
Member # 10298

- posted      Profile for Qaz           Edit/Delete Post 
Some things don't stand up on the face of it. This blows most conspiracy theories out of the water:

* It's hard to keep secret things as big as a plot to blow up WTC, when you have to share it with as many people as you'd have to to make it work. It would be big news. There would be FBBUB (Federal Bureau of Blowing Up Buildings) agents in Switzerland right now trading full disclosure for immunity

* The motive for these conspiracies is almost always money. But you'd make way more money investing in the stock market than you would from destroying billions of dollars in property, which makes everyone poorer instead. Even if you're a building contractor, and building contractors don't run the FBBUB.

But the lack of credible evidence would be enough.

Conspiracies exist, but usually the obvious culprit and the obvious motive is a good enough explanation.

The real story here is the power of rhetoric. It doesn't matter how smart you are, if you listen to something silly long enough it starts to sound reasonable.

Posts: 544 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Occam just slipped and cut his face. Poor Occam. He should get one of those safety razors.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todoni
Member # 10460

- posted      Profile for Todoni           Edit/Delete Post 
It all got started because some of the buildings did have to be demolished. I think it was building #4 (I am probably way wrong here, but there were at least 7 buildings in the complex, 2 the big towers, and the rest all 9-20 stories)
Well one or two of the small buildings sustained so much damage they decided to bring those down on purpose rather than risk them falling down without any warning while resuce crews were still in the area. Not a lot of news coverage for this because everyone was feeling so much pain. My company had a small 2 room branch in one of those smaller buildings and we were told to get all of our stuff and get out.

So someone could easily take the secretive stuff about a small building at the world trade center being dynamited on purposer and think that meant one of the big two towers, and either be confused, or use it to twist the truth around to suit some wierdo purpose.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Todoni
Member # 10460

- posted      Profile for Todoni           Edit/Delete Post 
It all got started because some of the buildings did have to be demolished. I think it was building #4 (I am probably way wrong here, but there were at least 7 buildings in the complex, 2 the big towers, and the rest all 9-20 stories)
Well one or two of the small buildings sustained so much damage they decided to bring those down on purpose rather than risk them falling down without any warning while resuce crews were still in the area. Not a lot of news coverage for this because everyone was feeling so much pain. My company had a small 2 room branch in one of those smaller buildings and we were told to get all of our stuff and get out.

So someone could easily take the secretive stuff about a small building at the world trade center being dynamited on purposer and think that meant one of the big two towers, and either be confused, or use it to twist the truth around to suit some wierdo purpose.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole thing about the scope of the conspiracy is what kills it for me pretty much. I find it nigh impossible to imagine how it could have been done. But the video of what looks like "squids" going of several floors below where the collapse was taking place looks exactly like what happens during a controlled demolition. Then there´s the black smoke which someone pointed out (and it's true) only gets produced when a fire is smoldering. But the hardest thing for me to swallow is the way WTC 7 came down. It suffered a fraction of the damage that the buildings closer to the towers received, and they didn't collapse. And the video of it falling shows the classic "crimpling" effect which is done during controlled implosions. It falls down perfectly. And there were only isolated pockets of fire, by the firefighters own accounts up to the point that they received warning that the building was going to come down. The fact that the CIA and FBI offices are located there don't help.

Please disprove this for me. Like I said, I hate conspiracy theories and I'll gladly welcome evidence that effectively refutes this stupid thing.

Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

Also, the towers were closed off the entire weekend prior or a week and a half prior, and power was completely shut off. This was for supposed Internet upgrades to the entire building. That would have been when the buildings would have been wired. And it seems that the whole place was a money pit, and were long overdue for asbestos removal which would have cost the port authority billions. Theres a whole bunch of other stuff from this DVD someone showed me that I can't remember, but the whole thing just seems to fit so nicely. I'm just saying they (the conspiracy theorists, who also do a good job of making me not want to have anything to do with them) tell a good story, and maybe the official story deserves a more critical eye.
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
In "this DVD" "someone" showed you that you "can't remember".

Well, who could fail to be convinced in the face of such overwhelming evidence?

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing says motive like accusing a bunch of white-boy corporate types of blowing up the largest white-boy corporate tower in the US (if you add the two towers together, anyways). That's like accusing them of conspiring to raze a golf course to the ground.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Reshpeckobiggle:
[QB] The whole thing about the scope of the conspiracy is what kills it for me pretty much. I find it nigh impossible to imagine how it could have been done. But the video of what looks like "squids" going of several floors below where the collapse was taking place looks exactly like what happens during a controlled demolition.

First of all, they're called "squibs," not "squids." Secondly, the video shows them going off as the building collapses. In real controlled demolitions, the squibs are the first things you see- the puffs of smoke are followed by the collapse of the building because they're what sets off the demolition in the first place. Furthermore, the puffs on the WTC are seen descending floor to floor, rather than going off all at once as you would expect if they were remote detonations. What was actually happening was that the pressure of, y'know, thousands of tons of office building falling from above is compressing the air in the floors below and blowing out the windows.

quote:
Then there´s the black smoke which someone pointed out (and it's true) only gets produced when a fire is smoldering.
False. The color of the smoke is due to sooty particulate matter, like plastic, carpeting, and dead people.

quote:
But the hardest thing for me to swallow is the way WTC 7 came down. It suffered a fraction of the damage that the buildings closer to the towers received, and they didn't collapse.
Also false.

quote:
And the video of it falling shows the classic "crimpling" effect which is done during controlled implosions. It falls down perfectly.
The fact that controlled demolitions happen to "crimp" does not suggest that uncontrolled demolitions do not. In fact, AFAIK a building of that size will always "fall down perfectly," at least insofar as it will fall straight down rather than collapse to one side and obliterate half a city block like in the movies. We're talking a big ass chunk of material being pulled down very hard by gravity, and which suddenly no longer has anything holding it up.

quote:
And there were only isolated pockets of fire, by the firefighters own accounts up to the point that they received warning that the building was going to come down. The fact that the CIA and FBI offices are located there don't help.
First of all, cite please on the "firefighters' own accounts"?

Secondly, does this look like a small fire to you? We're talking about one of the largest buildings in the history of civilization, remember. And contrary to what the conspiracy theorists like to claim, you don't have to melt steel to cause catastrophic collapse. It doesn't actually take that much heat to weaken steel- how do you think they bent the steel into its original shape to begin with?

quote:
Theres a whole bunch of other stuff from this DVD someone showed me that I can't remember, but the whole thing just seems to fit so nicely. I'm just saying they (the conspiracy theorists, who also do a good job of making me not want to have anything to do with them) tell a good story, and maybe the official story deserves a more critical eye.
Resh, haven't you learned by now that citing some DVD/book/whatever you saw somewhere just doesn't cut it?
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
I like what Penn and Teller had to say on this.

Much profanity in the link above.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
A documentary I say clearly stated that a large reaosn why the buildings collapsed is do to trustes. Basically the intiial crash burned off the fire proofing on the materials and the resulting plane fuel fire weakened the trusts. when one floor collapsed it fell onto the next one below, like a domino affect. This also contributes to the buildings falling straight down as the damage was in the upper levels not the lower ones until the upper levels fell ontop of it.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"...this DVD someone showed me that I can't remember..."

...is quite possibly the same video linked to in lem's thread topic http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=046817;p=1&r=nfx#000000

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me of that link aspectre.

I am very near certain that the video Reshpeckobiggle is referencing is 911 Mysteries. It was seductive the first time I watched it, but as my thread shows, I soon saw the blatant errors.

Resh, if you don't have the time to go through and read all of the counterpoints (it is time consuming), and it was 911 Mysteries that you saw, consider watching Screw 911 Mysteries. It is 911 Mysteries with subtitles and pauses so that the maker of Screw 911 Mysteries can show all of the problems of that video. In the process, you can start to see all of the errors in the Conspiracy Theories.

I do feel for you tho. I felt manipulated from 911 Mysteries--partly because I have a belief system that says governments left unchecked can do horrific things. I don't like the direction our government seems to be heading. I wish we had more cameras looking at the the government instead of the citizens. However, misleading conspiracy theories only make people more blase to government crimes in the long run.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I am more open to the possibility that some in the Government let it happen than that they made it happen. However, considering the 911 panel showing the history of bad decisions about terrorisim, it is still a remote possibility to incompetance.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
Cheney I could maybe see allowing 9/11.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven: that's only because a huge mythology has built up on the left surrounding Cheney. I doubt you know the man well enough to know his heart.

Why don't you go hunting with him? (dammit, I can't even resist making a cheney joke...)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Ummm....follow the money. I've never looked at Haliburton's stock prices before and after 9/11, but I would guess they are higher now than before. Cheney has been paid several million dollars in compensation from them since taking office. I'm not saying it proves anything, because I can't see that it does.

To be fair, though, Cheney was not in office during the whole Osama bin Laden affair during the 90's. I assume he didn't have access to privileged info regarding that. If he had, that might be different.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:

Probably the same thing that brought you back.
[ROFL]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

quote:
Originally posted by lem:
Thanks for reminding me of that link aspectre.

I am very near certain that the video Reshpeckobiggle is referencing is 911 Mysteries. It was seductive the first time I watched it, but as my thread shows, I soon saw the blatant errors.

Resh, if you don't have the time to go through and read all of the counterpoints (it is time consuming), and it was 911 Mysteries that you saw, consider watching Screw 911 Mysteries. It is 911 Mysteries with subtitles and pauses so that the maker of Screw 911 Mysteries can show all of the problems of that video. In the process, you can start to see all of the errors in the Conspiracy Theories.

I do feel for you tho. I felt manipulated from 911 Mysteries--partly because I have a belief system that says governments left unchecked can do horrific things. I don't like the direction our government seems to be heading. I wish we had more cameras looking at the the government instead of the citizens. However, misleading conspiracy theories only make people more blase to government crimes in the long run.

That was the DVD. Thanks. I'm gonna watch that video you mentioned. The word you used -seductive- is accurate, I think.
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by steven:
Ummm....follow the money. I've never looked at Haliburton's stock prices before and after 9/11, but I would guess they are higher now than before.

Based on the last decade of stock prices, Haliburton has performed similarly to the SP500 and the DowJones, all up approximately 80% since the late 90s.

Haliburton closed at 28.73 per share on 9-10-01, and 26.6 per share on 9-17-01 (when the NYSE reopened).

Doesn't look to me like there's any evidence there.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I wonder if they've posted higher profits in the 00s as opposed to the 90s.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
BEWARE...Extremely vulgar lanuage.

Here's what Maddox had to say on the subject.

I love the opening comic.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, wow. That folding the $20 bill trick is priceless. Along with spelling out Osama's name. And 9+11=20? I think I'm going to go cry myself to sleep.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

If you enjoyed that you should read some of his other essays, they're hilairous.
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
Debunking 9/11 Myths is a book that was published by Popular Mechanics. It takes a very extensive look at all of the conspiracy theories, and debunks every single one of them, at least the ones that existed at the time it was published last year. The nuts in charge of the conspiracy theories always have new explanations and "facts," so I imagine a new volume is probably necessary, but I don't believe anything is planned.

Edit: This is directed at Resh.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.