FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I finally finished!

Author Topic: I finally finished!
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Paradise Lost.

Not what you were expecting, I know, but I feel like I've just run a marathon (as far as literature goes) and I had to tell somebody.

[Party]

YAY!!!

Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madb
Member # 10532

- posted      Profile for Madb   Email Madb         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading this post.

Exactly what's expected.

- MaSTERdb

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

Maybe it's the four celebratory Margaritas speaking, but I have no idea what your talking about.
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!
I've yet to read it but it is on my list of books to read soon(er or later).
[Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madb
Member # 10532

Yes, you don't understand whats going on.

Yes it's because you got drunk alone infront of your computer again.

Yes this makes for a sad life.

Have fun reading drunk bro.

- MaSTERdb

Posts: 49 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

That's true, maybe I don't. I'm still happy that I accomplished something on my own and that my roommate bought the drinks as a result. I'm doubly happy that I was able to read it without having a term paper about it looming over head. And yes, maybe I don't have a tremendous understanding of the work, and yes maybe I didn't get your joke, but I am happy and that's why I'm posting.

Have fun laughing on your own bro.

Madb
Member # 10532

Aw.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings, bro.

But I do, and I will.

- MaSTERdb

Epictetus
Member # 6235

If I had any indication that your sentimentality was sincere, I'd accept your apology. Unfortunately, I don't, on both accounts.
Madb
Member # 10532

Knock back another brew you'll make more sense to yourself.

- MaSTERdb

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I feel like deerpark is back from the dead...

So, have you finished it then Epictetus? I own the most beautiful copy of Milton's complete works and I've looked through parts of PL. What did you think of it? Should I plow my way through it?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

It was a really interesting read, Milton can be a little hard to follow at times (he drifts off on tangents on occasion or will interrupt his narrative to remind the reader of something he wrote two books ago) but I found that if I read it out loud it was much easier.

What's strange though, is that some of the elements of the story of Adam and Eve, as we know it today, comes from Milton and didn't exist before PL was written. For example, the War in Heaven is something that only gets a passing mention in the bible, and even then only in Revelations. Milton expounds on it, making it a literal war, where he describes each day's battles between God and Satan and Satan being cast out. Having grown up Mormon, I was struck by the similarities (minus the whole literal battle with the swords and the whatnot.) Thanks to Milton, that particular story has life.

Also, if your a fan of Buffy, you'll recognize most of the Demons in Hell.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Epictetus: Congratulations! And Paradise Lost is one of those works that just having read will improve your credibility -- you can show up to literary events and ease in with a "Don't mind me...I've read Paradise Lost." [Razz]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

[ROFL]
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Madb, please play nice. You may think you're witty but you're not making any friends.

Congratulations Epictetus, I couldn't make it through Paradise Lost when I tried back in high school. (You know, about the time of it's first printing.)

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.