FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ferris Wheels in So. Cal?

Author Topic: Ferris Wheels in So. Cal?
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have any good suggestions for a Ferris Wheel in So. Cal?

I know of the one at California Adventure (Too expensive) and the one in Long Beach, by the aquarium (will be where I go, if I don't find out about a better one).

My daughter's been dying to go on a ferris wheel for some reason, and since she hasn't let it go for months, I think she really means it.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you too far from Newport Beach?
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephan:
Are you too far from Newport Beach?

Hey I'm going there in August! Yay for Knott's Berry Farm!

edit: Doc: Get your child on the "Supreme Scream" at Knott's. They won't bug you again about ferris wheels ever again. Either they will be terrified of heights the rest of their life or else it will be such an adrenaline rush they will be a roller coaster junky for the rest of their life.

You will have to decide which is preferable, or else just go on the sissy ferris wheel.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Selran
Member # 9918

- posted      Profile for Selran   Email Selran         Edit/Delete Post 
Santa Monica Pier
Posts: 212 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I'm in the Inland Empire, so I'm too far from anything.

But I'm even considering Balboa, so all suggestions are welcome.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Second Santa Monica Pier.

They used to have a big one that I loved at Knott's but I don't know if that is too big for you.

We have little carnivals at our local park about 4-6 times a year, you could come to one of those. I think the next one is the Watermelon Festival in July or Aug. but there might be one before then...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

BB: She's already been on the "new" Space Mountain. She's not afraid of anything. The only thing stopping her from anything worse is height requirements, since she's only four.

Why she wants to go on a ferris wheel is beyond me, but after going out of town the first half of the week, I thought this weekend would be a good time to accomodate her.

The only problem with Knotts is I still have to work tommorow morning and I don't want to pay for a full day when I can only go half a day.

Santa Monica Peir sounds good . . . why does everybody like it?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, first of all, it's beautiful. You go up and look out over the ocean. My dad and I used to go up and watch the sunset from the Ferris wheel. The pier is just... fun! There are arcades and artsy people and a boardwalk on the beach and it's just a cool place to hang. The Ferris wheel lights up at night. It's big enough but not too big or too fast. It's not a thrill ride, it's a scenic interlude. And if you have younger kids and go during the day there's also a historic carousel they might like-- and one adult rides free with a young child. Sometimes the Bubble Man is there; he's this guy who's built a huge machine that blows bubbles all over the pier.

I love the Pier.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
I live right by the Pier. Very jolly. As kq mentioned, there are also a lot of other really fun child-friendly things to do at or around the pier. When my roommates and I go jogging/walking, we love to run on the strip of bouncy ground down by Muscle Beach.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

BB: She's already been on the "new" Space Mountain. She's not afraid of anything. The only thing stopping her from anything worse is height requirements, since she's only four.

Sounds like she is off to a VERY good start! [Big Grin]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RamseyEarl
Member # 10265

- posted      Profile for RamseyEarl   Email RamseyEarl         Edit/Delete Post 
The Irvine Spectrum has one.... The Giant Wheel. I think it's only $3.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just by the Santa Monica pier on Memorial Day weekend. I tried climbing the rope ladder thingie to get the stuffed animal, without success. Those things are hard! There's a picture of me somewhere... ah yes, here we go.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Baum baum...chik..chikka chikka...baum baum...chik...chikka chikka.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Here are some pics of the little girl who is very grateful for the suggestion. (Okay, they're sisters, but big sis isn't as crazy about these kinds of rides.)

Her Dad's grateful, too. Thanks, everybody. It was a great day.

BlackBlade
Member # 8376

Glad to hear it!

Tell big sister, "Come now, do you really want your little sister thinking your a sissy? If you don't show her how tough you are she is gonna walk all over you!"

[Big Grin]

BlackBlade child psychology 101, Sibling Rivalry: Almost as certain as death and taxes.

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
They are both adorable! Glad you had a fun day. I like the Santa Monica pier as well. Its a fun place!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww! So cute, and glad you had fun. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.