FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cheap web hosting

Author Topic: Cheap web hosting
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Can anyone here recommend a good web hosting company? I don't really need all that much in the way of space or bandwidth. At the moment, I mostly want something to put up an about page and link to some projects I've done. That said, I'll probably want to do more with the site in the future, so I don't want anything too limited. I know that a bunch of people here have web experience, so I was hoping you would be able to recommend a good site.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally use and endorse Verve Hosting. Its least expensive plan is $5/month, and upgrading to a better plan (and back) is painless, should you ever so desire. There are cheaper services out there, but I recommend Verve for its top-notch customer service.
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Godaddy has been fine for me.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zevlag
Member # 1405

- posted      Profile for Zevlag           Edit/Delete Post 
I really like BlueHost. I've found them to be awesome, my site, and AKA's www.avertinghumanextinction.org are there. Their Customer support is wonderful. And heh, they support everything (php, python, perl, ruby, mysql, postgres, frontpage, ...). AND you get Shell access if you want it. Plus 1 free domain registration is also included.

There is also GooglePages, if you just easy/simple/basic type stuff. You can link it with GoogleApps Standard for domains which is a great free package.

Posts: 2102 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a search on the forum here, and I found an older topic that was kind of similar. Someone there recommended 1&1. It seems to be a bit cheaper than some of the other places, while still offering around the same services. Does anyone here have experience with them?
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I use 1&1, and they're good. I wouldn't say great. I do occasionally experience slowness (though no downtime in over two years) that they can't seem to find the cause for.

The one I've seen recommended the most, recently, is http://icdsoft.com/. I know several hatrackers use them and love them (katharina, twinky, Bob_Scopatz and dkw).

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.