FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simian crease (a survey)

Author Topic: Simian crease (a survey)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a mutant. I have a simian crease on my right hand. I've met a handful (no pun intended) of people in my life with the same, including one girl I went to high school with who actually had them on both hands.

I understand that people with Downs Syndrome have them as well, but everyone I've met with a simian crease who didn't have Downs Syndrome has had certain characteristics in common. So I thought I'd do a quick survey here and see who among us is a mutant like me.

Ook, ook.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Not I. I've got normal hands, you freak.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has simian creases on their hands; most people have two. My brother and my sister both have a single simian crease on at least one hand (don't remember which.) Both of them have both a genius IQ and learning disabilities, both of which have been associated in some studies with a single simian crease.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Everyone has simian creases on their hands; most people have two. My brother and my sister both have a single simian crease on at least one hand (don't remember which.) Both of them have both a genius IQ and learning disabilities, both of which have been associated in some studies with a single simian crease.

It's only called a simian crease when there's only one. That's interesting to hear about them. It fits a lot of what I've heard. Are they particularly religious? Stubborn? Intense?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
They are both particularly stubborn but so is the rest of my family, including the two of us that are not in this group.

Actually my sister is the least intense of the four of us.

Now, my brother, you may have read about in this thread.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DSH
Member # 741

- posted      Profile for DSH           Edit/Delete Post 
My boss and his daughter both have this crease.

Unfortuantely, his daughter also has Downs Syndrome. [Frown]

Posts: 692 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IanO
Member # 186

- posted      Profile for IanO   Email IanO         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one on my left hand. Right hand's only extends about 3/4 of the way across.

You mean other people don't have them? Shows how observant I am.

Posts: 1346 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one on my right hand that extends all the way across.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I obviously don't pay much attention to my hands. I've never noticed before that I have this on my left hand and not on my right.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Three (major) lines on each hand.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I read this thread yesterday and then we discussed the transverse palmar crease today in my bio class. BTW, "simian crease" is considered a fairly un-PC way of referring to them.
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
None here. The deepest lines on both my hands form the letter M.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

M? You mean the top two have a line connecting them from one end of one to the other end of the other? Wow.

Leonide,
I read that it's un-PC. But (a) I'm not very PC and (b) I have one, and calling it that doesn't offend me. But I'm curious... what was the discussion about?

Megan
Member # 5290

It depends on how you define top two, I guess. If I look at my palm with the wrist as the bottom, then the M is at a 45-degree angle.

(The following is all on my left hand. The right hand is a mirror image.)

Starting at the wrist, or the bottom left corner of the M, the line comes up between my thumb and forefinger. The next line comes down about 2/3 the way across my palm. There's a light line that crosses that line in the dead center of my palm, which then ends on a line that starts between my index and middle finger and wraps around the right side of my palm. The light line doesn't hit the end of 2nd line from the top, just crosses it.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kmbboots:
Nope. Three (major) lines on each hand.

It looks like the Shvestercrats are the only ones in this thread without some sort of freakish mutant thing going on with their hands.

The letter "M", for "Megan"? That's so weird, you freak!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Tremble before the power of my mutant hand!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got three on each hand.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Lisa:
Tremble before the power of my mutant hand!

[Angst] ::trembles::
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I'm curious... what was the discussion about?
Nothing earth-shattering, we're just discussing genetics currently, and the professor mentioned the transverse palmar crease as a physical identifier of children/people with Trisomy 21, or Down's Syndrome. It was listed among other descriptors, but the picture she linked to on her power-point was the exact one linked to on the Wikipedia article, at the bottom labelled "An example of a single transverse palmar crease."
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
The letter "M", for "Megan"? That's so weird, you freak!

Maybe it's like the doctrine of signatures--the Megan and the Ms are related. [Big Grin]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
If we're counting faint lines, I have an M on both of my hands, too. I seem to recall someone in elementary school (now there's a valid source!) who claimed that if your hand has an M on it then it means you'll have lots of money. Hasn't worked yet.

If we're only counting deep lines, there are three on each hand. The faint one is the same as Megan's.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
If we count the faint lines I have an "M", too. But the faint inside lines cross into an X. /X\ ish except curvy.

This is clearly not a reliable sign for money.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Me neither. That's basically what mine is, although the faint line is not terribly faint on either hand (it's just the fourth deepest line).
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard of Simian creases before, sounds kind of freakish. I personally have perfectly normal evolutionary laser tentacles.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Our two oldest children have one simian crease each. Our third has none. Neither I nor my wife have any.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leroy
Member # 9533

- posted      Profile for Leroy   Email Leroy         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to point out that "evolutionary laser tentacles" sounds like the name of a pretentious metal band.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
The lines on my left hand form the sigil of Ameth.

The lines on my right hand form the barcode
for a tin of Heinz BBQ Beans (Multipack, 4 for 99p).

FEAR ME!

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
How did you figure that out maven? Scan yourself in at a self-checkout?

quote:
You mean other people don't have them? Shows how observant I am.
I had the same thing with my hitchhiker's thumbs and bunions - they look like normal thumbs and feet to me and it really surprised me the first time a friend did a "thumbs up" and I realized that hers didn't bend back at all.

I don't have mutant hands other than that though.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I wonder if hitchhiker's thumbs and bunions go together. I have both, and my big toes have always slanted into my other toes. The right foot seems to have actually corrected itself as I got older, but the left is still as slanted as ever. I suspect that I'm the one who gave my daughter the genes that cause her little toes to curl up over the adjacent toes. It looks strange, but she walks just fine and doesn't complain of any discomfort.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheesh, my palm looks like a watershed -- about 5 major rivers and a gazillion little tributaries. (Could it be . . . age? No, not that!)

No simian crease, though.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a kind of semi-or-pseudo simian crease.

My heart line almost joins the base of my head line - and when my hands are even slightly bent, I have a solid line across the palm. It's a little jagged and more pronounced on my left hand.

Edit to add: I knew one person for sure who had the real simian crease that didn't have Down syndrome. He was a surgical resident we knew through the International Friendship Council when I was in high school. He became a thoracic surgeon who studied under DeBakey (sp?).

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I really look at it, I think I can see the Virgin Mary on my left hand...and either a seagull or a man frowning on my right hand...weird.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
Now that I really look at it, I think I can see the Virgin Mary on my left hand...
That deserves a picture.

I wonder if you could get decent bids for a picture of the image of the Virgin Mary on your hand on eBay?

Of course, for real money, you'd probably need to put the hand itself up for auction.

Considering what some people were willing to pay for toast, I gotta wonder what a hand would go for.

::Just to be clear - I only advocate auctioning off the hand "as is" and as a rental deal. In other words, still attached to the living owner of the hand who is willing to travel and show it off for the right amount of money.::

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I dunno, I'd be wary of what people wanted the hand to do... [Eek!]
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
I dunno, I'd be wary of what people wanted the hand to do...
Well...for the right price...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a simian crease...but now I really want one!

I do have what looks like three number nines. Best not to worry about such things...

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

quote:
I do have what looks like three number nines.
Uh huh. Nice try. That's how they look to you from your perspective.

That means they'd probably look like sixes to the rest of us.

I, for one, have seen The Omen enough times to know what that means.

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Javert...I think this means that my 'Virgin Mary' hand and your '666' hand will be forced to do battle.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

One, two, three, four, I declare a thumb war... of Good vs. Evil!!! Armageddon is at Hand!
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I can't be defeated. Even if I lose at thumb war, the Virgin Mary will manifest again in a stronger form, possibly on a potato chip or an overpass...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.