FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Political complaints (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Political complaints
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Which is why people love absentee ballots.
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Compulsory voting.

Makes it all easier. [Smile]

(Seriously. I think it's fantastic, and never fail to be amazed at voter turnouts in non-compulsory voting systems.)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
"Voting is something that will take a few minutes, a couple of hours at most if turnout is extraordinarily good, out of one day every two years."

It took me nearly four hours in '04. Had I not had the day off, I wouldn't have had time.

Which is still an insignificant amount of time compared to the rest of the two years you have available for political outreach activities. [Smile]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it a good thing to have people who can't muster enough energy to care on their own be forced to participate, honestly?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
quote:
Originally posted by rollainm:
"Voting is something that will take a few minutes, a couple of hours at most if turnout is extraordinarily good, out of one day every two years."

It took me nearly four hours in '04. Had I not had the day off, I wouldn't have had time.

Which is still an insignificant amount of time compared to the rest of the two years you have available for political outreach activities. [Smile]
I'm not sure you can measure the value of a person's time so generically.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Why is it a good thing to have people who can't muster enough energy to care on their own be forced to participate, honestly?

Because they are forced to participate. [Smile]

Firstly because *everyone* votes - which means the result is, at least, a true majority decision (and in Australia, that means all elections are on weekend and all employers must give their employees time to vote).

Secondly, because when people are forced to vote that means all minorities (race/gender) are actually represented.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I can do a lot of useless things in a small amount of time. That doesn't give me any particular incentive to want to do them. Why spend even 10 minutes voting if your vote makes zero difference.

I could spend 10 minutes yelling my candidate's name into a pillow too, it wouldn't be a significant amount of time, but why bother?

I only vote if there's a chance my vote might make a difference. If there were a presidential election and my state was reporting almost exactly 50% distribution between candidates, I'd vote, because there would be a tiny chance of my vote making a difference.

It isn't that I'm against voting. I'm against doing meaningless acts and pretending that they're meaningful. I'm against self-deception. I'm against remaining powerless while telling yourself you're powerful.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:

Because they are forced to participate. [Smile]

Firstly because *everyone* votes - which means the result is, at least, a true majority decision (and in Australia, that means all elections are on weekend and all employers must give their employees time to vote).

Secondly, because when people are forced to vote that means all minorities (race/gender) are actually represented.

I'd be okay with that.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

"I could spend 10 minutes yelling my candidate's name into a pillow too"

Kerry you indecisive pansy #$%@*!

*sob*

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I very much against compulsory voting.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
in Canada the government keeps track of every nonvoter, so that the moment you complain the government sends you a letter telling you to shutup as since you didnt vote your voice doesn't matter as you lost your right to complain.

My mom doesn't vote and her letter was written by Joseph Jacques Jean Chrétien.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be deeply against compulsory voting, but I'm warming up to the idea. Caring or not caring about the fate of the Union does not make you any more or less a citizen of the democracy.

This isn't a comfortable position for me. I don't particularly like or respect a majority of Americans, and probably less so, a majority of the likely voting public, but I do believe that if we are going to be a democratic nation, we should commit fully and not only when the ballot will produce seemingly convenient results.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
in Canada the government keeps track of every nonvoter, so that the moment you complain the government sends you a letter telling you to shutup as since you didnt vote your voice doesn't matter as you lost your right to complain.

Surely you're joking.

If not, thank God I don't live in Canada.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
nope not joking, we have a rather nasty letter from Jean Chretien lying around about how my mom lost her right to complain when she didn't vote. And yes they know this because while they dont keep track who you vote for, they sure as hell keep track of those who don't. a pox on society they are, i think to recieve government benefits should be tied to whether or not you vote.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This isn't a comfortable position for me. I don't particularly like or respect a majority of Americans, and probably less so, a majority of the likely voting public, but I do believe that if we are going to be a democratic nation, we should commit fully and not only when the ballot will produce seemingly convenient results.
There's nothing in my definition of the word democracy that includes using force to compel voting. To me, democracy means the right and ability to directly participate in your own government.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
quote:

Surely you're joking.

I'm pretty sure it's an aberration. I've never heard of that before, and I'm pretty sure we would have mentioned it in my poli sci classes.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

Surely you're joking.

I'm pretty sure it's an aberration. I've never heard of that before, and I'm pretty sure we would have mentioned it in my poli sci classes.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

quote:
quote:

Surely you're joking.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.