FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Adventures in the ICU - Well, hopefully not this time! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Adventures in the ICU - Well, hopefully not this time!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Life is slowly, slowly approaching normality.

Here's hoping for an accelerated approach. *hug*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotMe
Member # 10470

- posted      Profile for NotMe   Email NotMe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all surprised by the staph infection. Unfortunately, in most of the world, anybody staying in a hospital that long is most likely going to end up getting staph. Here's to hoping it isn't one of the nastier drug-resistant strains.

Good luck getting her out of the hospital and on the mend.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
The news today is that her surgeon wants her out sometime this week. She's walking more and more, and even tackled a couple of stairs today. The staph is almost gone, and she's gotten to know most of the nurses by name. She also says that while being sick stinks, she's learned a ton because every time someone comes to do something, she asks what's going on and why and how, etc.

We're really lucky, because we have good coverage. Bath chairs and walkers and a wheelchair and even a home nurse are all covered, as are any supplies that might be needed, like wound dressings. I go on vacation on Saturday, and I really, really hope I get to see her home before I go.

Grandma has gone home, by ambulance-copter.

And I fell off my bike today (packed-dirt path), which brings my summer injury count to:
One scraped achilles tendon
One strained ankle
One severely bruised shin
Two days of plantar fasciitis flare-up
Three or four migraines
An assortment of work-related bruises
One episode of hair-pull head-butting
One skinned knee
One scraped and bruised calf
And two hands, the pads of which now resemble the product of a meat-grinder

I post the above not to solicit pity, but rather to marvel that I haven't been in the hospital myself this summer. Yet. There's still time, the way I'm going.

My dad, my poor, benighted and over-wrought dad, helped me clean my hands. This was a Good Thing as by then I was going into shock. He was wonderful and as gentle as he could be, even if he grumbled about One More Thing. He's been first-aid certified for decades now, and since we grew up learning it and taking courses as well, I've always taken such skill for granted. I do know a lot of people who would Freak Out when confronted with a bloody, angry girl in shock, but not my dad! I am going to find a way to treat him somehow this week.

[ July 29, 2007, 05:16 AM: Message edited by: Eaquae Legit ]

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew. My mom came home on Friday August 3rd, 2007.

I was very busy at the time and left the next day for a camping trip, so I didn't get a chance to post. She is still weak and tired, but she is HOME. We went to the surgeon's office for a check-up yesterday, and he said she was healing well and he is pretty sure he can patch her back together fully, when she is strong enough. Meanwhile, she is off work for the year.

My dad is also going off on sick leave. This summer has taken a massive toll on him, and he is in real need of the time to put himself back together.

When I went camping, I called my grandma to see how she was doing and if she was up to having lunch together. She was, and she sounded *great*. Unfortunately, her building was under quarantine, so we couldn't go out. But that's okay, if she's okay. I will be up there again next month, and I'll try again.

Thanks again, guys.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Well, alas, another post here. Good news and bad news.

The bad news is my mom is back in the hospital. It's not too serious, but she was dehydrated and her sodium was too low (stomae are bad for sodium, apparently). So that makes our Thanksgiving plans wonky, but we'll figure things out.

The good news is my grandma can see again! She was flown down for the surgery and flown back, since they didn't need to do another pre-op. She's doing really well, and is very happy indeed with the results.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Sorry if everyone is sick of this thread. It's just been a real blessing to me to be able to chronicle this whole crazy affair.

Anyway, mum's still in the hospital. I miss her like crazy. I visit her most days, but it's just not the same. She's getting better, though, and is off the IV again. She's also been doing her physio faithfully - every single day, no matter what else is happening - and it's paying off. She can take very short walks now bracing herself against the wall, and longer walks with the walker. And for brief periods, she can stand unaided.

For the first time since early June, I was able to give my mom a proper hug. I cried a little.

I want her home, and she wants to come home. We're going to move her sewing machine up two floors so she can go down and use it, and she can start helping in the kitchen and making some of her snacks herself.

I'm so happy. So ridiculously happy. It's looking like she'll be mostly functional/independent by the time I go to England, which will be a big ease to my mind.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
That is wonderful news. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] I'm so happy to hear that she's improving steadily! I hope she will be improved enough to be able to come home soon!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry, babe. We're not sick of this thread!

I'm glad she'll be pretty much better by the time you leave. I'm sure it would be so hard for you to live that dream if she wasn't well. It's wonderful how much you love your mother! [Smile]

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
No, we're definitely not sick of it. I'm glad you have a place where you can chronicle it and talk about it.

*hugs*

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

Well, it's been a while.

Mum's been doing better and better, getting much stronger and mostly back to normal. Doing errands, taking the dog for short walks, etc.

But she goes back in for the first of the reconstructive surgeries in the morning. Kind thoughts and prayers appreciated. Everything is pointing to an uncomplicated surgery and recovery, but we're all a bit nervous anyway. She figures if God was going to take her, he would have done so in the summer. [Smile]

Anyway, thanks again, everyone.

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.