FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Zeppelin Or Floyd?

Author Topic: Zeppelin Or Floyd?
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
I am actually curious after reading the other threads, and have to wonder... What is more loved? The amazing bluesy rock of Led Zeppelin, or the mellow and slightly psychedelic Pink Floyd?

I personally find them both to be magnificent, and in particular for each of them, The Wall, and Led Zeppelin IV, to be particularly beautiful.

So...

How about you all?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JumboWumbo
Member # 10047

- posted      Profile for JumboWumbo   Email JumboWumbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Dark Side of the Moon has to be one of the best play-through albums of all time, IMO. Never really found Zeppelin all that attractive, what with Plant's high pitched screeching and all.

Floyd hands down.

Posts: 213 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
Floyd.

Zeppelin is fantastic and all, but Floyd.

I agree with you about IV, that was always my favorite Zep, but I completely disagree about The Wall. I'd probably rate that somewhere in the 5-7 range of their studio albums. Top Floyd albums for me:

1,2. Dark Side and Wish You Were Here(i go back and forth on these two a lot)
3. Animals
4. Meddle
5. Ummagumma
6. I think I might put The Wall here. But i haven't listened to a lot of the earlier stuff in a while. I was pretty into Atom Heart Mother for a bit. I was never that big a fan of Piper or Saucer

[ June 22, 2007, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Strider ]

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Floyd, but Zeppelin RULES!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally Pink!

Led Zeppelin has their moments, and IV is a great album, but overall Pink Floyd has a much better body of work.

Although they definitely went downhill post-Waters.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Specific (and single) tracks, Led Zeppelin.

Listening to an entire album at a time, Pink Floyd bar none.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
That is why the Wall is awesome. It has a whole story so it is truly a rock opera. I mean, I can listen to is over and over to think about it and not to mention the music is amazing.

And it is not the Sex, Drugs, And Rock & Roll stigma either, it has an interesting underlying theme after all too, which I happen to agree with, and is still quite applicable.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. I think it would have to be Floyd, simply because of Dave Gilmour.

I'm a big Led Zep fan too, but Comfortably Numb gives me goosebumps. [Wink]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Floyd. Zeppelin blows enormous chunks.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Floyd here. I've tried to like Zep, but they're pretty much overrated by whistful babyboomers.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry...it must be Zep.
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I say Zep, but this one is tough.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the idea,

Singles = Zep

Albums = Pink

I use to HATE Led Zeppelin, and my first Pink Floyd song was Astronomy Domine followed by Careful With That Axe, Eugene.

I thought both bands were stark raving mad in High School, and then after HS I realized its true but their music was still brilliant.

Careful With That Axe, Eugene has been my forum sig for a very long time.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by anti_maven:
Mmm. I think it would have to be Floyd, simply because of Dave Gilmour.

I'm a big Led Zep fan too, but Comfortably Numb gives me goosebumps. [Wink]

So true
I can't abide bad covers of that song (growls at staind)
It's one of the best songs in the whole world.
So I'd say Pink Floyd for general spiffiness

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Led Zep all the way
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Zep have some great songs but also some really bad ones (especially lyrically).

Pink Floyd are much more consistently good.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
striplingrz
Member # 9770

- posted      Profile for striplingrz   Email striplingrz         Edit/Delete Post 
Zeppelin is easily the better of the two. I can (and do) listen to their stuff much more often.

I do love Floyd, but there are only a few albums that truly make my listen to over and over list. Alot of their stuff can sound the same. I'll also add, that Floyd is "mood" music most of the time for me. I can't get into just anytime of the day.

But Zeppelin absolutely rocks and I scoff at anyone who claims they are overrated. I'll take the word of 95% of musicians who rate them as huge influences.

Gallow's Pole baby!

Posts: 176 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Primus.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluenessuno
Member # 5535

- posted      Profile for bluenessuno   Email bluenessuno         Edit/Delete Post 
Gallows Pole? (paraphrase) "I can't pay you off, nor can my friends. Hey, here comes my sister. Take her and set me free." The message too outwardly sung for me to accept the song. Better to take your failures down with you than immerse and sink family.
I like Zep and their post-band work. They've aged better and the delinquency is over; Zooma by JPJ. Roger has the words and Gilmour has guitar flair, though neither now attract me; Waters's French Revolution, sung in English, turned me away without a full listen. I am not ready master.
Robert Plant still has an intensity, whereas Gilmour's On An Island felt old, slow. Floyd had three singers (after Barrett's departure) to fit any song speed and they were beautiful.
Obscured By Clouds was a perfect lark and always attracts me.
On the radio, I feel no allegiance to either band. Zep has the strut and emotion, "Nobody's Fault But Mine". However... lyrics by Waters keep me closer to Floyd; I like the final cut.

I'd like to hear the Beastie Boys perform "Run Like Hell."

Posts: 61 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
Led Zeppelin.
For me though, their first album was ALWAYS their best. Robert Plant's voice did become screechy later in his career, and then he sang himself out, but on that album he has the best voice in rock music, BAR NONE!
How can you beat the incredible drive of the playing and singing on "Dazed and Confused", or the over the top power of "How Many More Times", or that opening "IIHHHH-I, I can't quit you, baby" from the song of the same name, or Page's bluesy playing on that song, or the sheer, unadulterated frenzy of "Communication Breakdown", Man, I love that album!
As much as I like Floyd, they pale in comparison with Led Zeppelin 1.

Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.