FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I need a new book to read!

Author Topic: I need a new book to read!
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I just finished reading The Fountainhead and I need something else to start on. I'm open to most genres, although not so much history and war stuff. That tends to bore me. And "way out there" sci-fi doesn't really interest me either. But I'd love any and all suggestions! Thanks in advance [Smile]
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Mendolsohn, the Boy From Mars!
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy:
i started reading R. A. Salvatore's Dark Elf books back in middle school. Drizzt is a fun character to read.

Realistic Fiction (maybe):
Michael Crichton's State of Fear

Comic:
any Calvin & Hobbes treasury

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by krynn:

Realistic Fiction (maybe):
Michael Crichton's State of Fear

That's stretching the term realistic a bit. And even if it were totally accurate, I still think that it's by far one of his worst written books. If you really want to read something by Michael Crichton, I'd recommend Jurassic Park, Congo, Sphere, The Lost World, or Prey way before mentioning this book.

Edit:

How about some of Mario Puzo's books? The godfather is a really, really good book. I also really liked The Last Don. The Family is pretty good, but he died before finishing it, and you can kind of tell, because the quality is pretty inconsistent.

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are looking for irreverent fiction try Christopher Moore. I've only read a couple of his, but find him hilarious. "A DIRTY JOB" was great. I can identify as a total Beta male.

I've also been reading the Odd Thomas books by Dean Knootz which have been pretty good once you get past the "6th Sense" knock off aspects.

I couldn't finish "State of Fear" the above list of Crichton books are better

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Lamb by Christopher Moore is my favorite book by him.

I'd suggest the book I Am Legend by Richard Matheson if you haven't already read it.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a different set of books I discoveres a while back and adore.

It is Peter Tremayne's Sister Fidelma series, mysteries set in ancient Ireland, before it was not OK for priests to marry.

They are great as mysteries, with a little history in there that goes down easy!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Sister Fidelma is great.

I recommend "The Necessary Beggar" by Susan Palwick. It's an amazing story.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this nifty site? Enter the last book you read, or a favorite book/author, and it'll spit out very good suggestions.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It is awesome.

or... The Diamond Age... or, I would definitely recommend you read Snow Crash. Yes. Read it. NOW!

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
about State of Fear:

I read a lot compared to almost all my friends, but im sure that i cant hold a candle to the majority of ppl here. State of Fear was good in my opinion because i liked all the research that Crichton put into the book. there are probably a lot of authors that do the same thing, but that was really the first one that i read. I think that global warming is a threat, but it was fun for me to read about it being a conspiracy. conpiracies = fun.

I also read about 2/3 of Prey and didnt really like it compared to State of Fear because there wasnt the same amount of research put into the story. OK, thats all from me. just trying to defend my pick. those are the only two books of his that ive read, tho i did buy the new one at christmas. its still on my list of books to read.

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.