FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is it better to . . .

Author Topic: Is it better to . . .
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very specific topic, so you can expand it to other things. To start out with I have a question.

Is it better to 1)edit your recent comment when you think of something else to say or 2)add a new comment box with new thoughts when they come one after the other?

Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
I go nuts with editing, a lot what I have to add or change doesn't deserve another post but only by posting can I see something I want to change. For some reason I can't see those things after I type it out and look at it. But for others, a a follow up post may be more appropriate and I'm familiar with people who operate like that.
So: Depends on the dude.

How come?

Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Occasional
Member # 5860

- posted      Profile for Occasional   Email Occasional         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep finding myself adding a new thought at the end of my posts. However, they are usually right after I post, but before someone else does. Just don't want other people to either miss what I say or not have someone be able to answer back.
Posts: 2207 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I hear rivka is a raving nutjob.

[ June 22, 2007, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Icarus ]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed.

Is it a fluffy/fun thread, a political thread, a fast-moving and contentious thread? How likely are you to edit as someone is posting after you in response?

Often, the best idea is to edit but indicate that you have done so.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think an edit should be used if no one has replied, but be sure to be clear that you have edited. If someone has replied, post below them.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
The next three posters will be rivka, Tatiana, and The Flying Dracula Hair.

[ June 23, 2007, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: rollainm ]

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Agreed, except if it is a minor (one or two words, or less) edit that is necessary for clarification. Such as having omitted the word "not." [Wink] But then DEFINITELY indicate the edit.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a compulsive editor. I will edit to change the slightest thing, which doesn't affect the meaning of the post at all, even. So I edit at will, and without notification. However, if someone responds to something I said, I try not to change it so their response doesn't make sense. In that case, I just post again after them.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

- posted      Profile for The Flying Dracula Hair   Email The Flying Dracula Hair         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I'm horrible at that, if someone responds or quotes me I go change it back again even if I decided it's worth indicating the edit. I used to be much more of a maniac when it comes to editing but I've always been slow at it.
Posts: 299 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes edit the original post, and sometimes add a second. I have no problem with people (such as myself) who occasionally follow their own posts.

Posting that way can be a kind of punctuation. Like: statement, pause, follow-up thought. When I do it, it's usually because I feel a rhythm -- not necessarily of words, but of thoughts. Or of themes.

I tend to want to compartmentalize unrelated tracks of thoughts into different posts.

Also, I don't like seeing the little [Message edited by] guy at the bottom of my posts.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll edit if no one has replied yet -- partly for courtesy, partly because I'm afraid no one will go back and reread my post if they've moved on -- and I'll edit for typos whenever.

Unless of course someone has posted a humorous comment about my typo, in which case I leave it so as not to make the joke useless for future readers. Comedy is collaborative.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by TL:
Also, I don't like seeing the little [Message edited by] guy at the bottom of my posts.

Agreed. That's why the ten-minute-rule we have now is so great. [Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
. . . and I'll edit for typos whenever.

Unless of course someone has posted a humorous comment about my typo, in which case I leave it so as not to make the joke useless for future readers. Comedy is collaborative.

Besides, at that point it's too late. [Wink]
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have a more important question:

Is it better to...

Be forced to eat your own little finger, or be forced to eat a quart of lard?

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Dracula Hair
Member # 10155

Would you have to eat it off your hand?
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
If already off the hand, own little finger, hands down. Otherwise, quart of lard.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends. Would liberal use of condiments be allowed?
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I just add another post. I don't really have a good reason why. I edit when links don't work or it just looks like crap.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
You have to actually eat it off your hand. No condiments of any kind.

This is a game my fiancee and her sister play, where you ask if you'd rather eat of bucket of lard (about a quart), or do X, because you've been kidnapped by crazy people, and you have to do one or the other.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
You have to actually eat it off your hand. No condiments of any kind.

This is a game my fiancee and her sister play, where you ask if you'd rather eat of bucket of lard (about a quart), or do X, because you've been kidnapped by crazy people, and you have to do one or the other.

I have an entire book that asks these sorts of questions, Ill have to dig it up. Its called, "Would you rather..."

My favorite was, "Would you rather live in a world where video games were the epitome of human accomplishment,

Or,

Have your Dungeons and Dragons stats printed on your drivers license?"

I personally would opt for the D&D stats on my driver's license. [Big Grin]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
How do you edit posts?

Yes, I'm still pretty new around here. Please don't stuff me in a locker.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
See the line above your current post, where it says posted June 25th. Then it has a button to see your profile, the next button, the white paper with the pencil is the edit button. The quote marks give you that quote with lines as in the post above yours.

Once you are on the edit page you can type into the box, or delete post, if you have posted the first post in the thread it deletes the whole thread.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.