FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Domain ideas

Author Topic: Domain ideas
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been knitting and weaving for several years now and am ready to start a website for a blog and possible sales. I've asked some of you these questions in other places and have gotten a few ideas but not much.

I'd like to incorperate knitting and weaving, possibly my first name or initial (Sarah) though that isn't required. A bit of originality that I can use for years would help, sadly my creativity is only running in colors right now, not words.

At this point I am very close to using www.knitsandweaves.com but it has no personality and just gets to the point.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
knitknacks.com
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Taken and doesn't incorperate weaving, also important and much less common than knitting.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The domain doesn't necessarily have to be the same as the branding of the site/blog.

I would actually stay away from the "weaves" part as it is going to put you in Google search competition with another use of weaving entirely.

I also wouldn't use knitsandweaves as there is already a http://www.knitsnweaves.com/

I would suggest that you take a really cool, unique adjective or noun and pair it with knits -- something that captures an aspect of your personality and/or style -- the attitude that you are going to bring to your blogging and sales.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Weaving,Officer?ISwear,ItWasKnitting.com
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Right. It doesn't have to mention every single thing you think you'll ever sell. In fact, it's probably counterproductive to do so (because it makes for a longer domain name, which is harder to remember). If weaving is more important, just use it in the name. That's my suggestion, anyway.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

I suppose an example would be useful -- this is not what I suggest for you, but the fastest example that I can come up with that fits my point.

bluemoonknits.com = the domain.

Blue Moon: Knits and Weaves for the Occasional Craftsperson = the blog title.

The Blue Moon Kit = the name of the store.

Does that make sense?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
loominous.com

Sarandipity.com

I really like knitknacks.com per El JT de Spang's suggestion.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Or Blue Moon Knit Kits = the name of the store. But now I'm starting to do actual marketing work for you, and I charge a very reasonable $60 an hour for that. [Big Grin]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

It may very well be counterproductive but it's also more important to me.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Oh, and I should mention that using the adjective/noun + knit(s) formula can lead to a nice logo/design elements for the site. A blue moon with a knitting needle stuck through it, for example.

Again -- please don't use blue moon. It's horrible-- but as an example for what I'm trying to convey, it works.

Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Weaves will kill you with Google searches. It doesn't have to be part of the domain name.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

I wonder if one of the web-savvy 'rackers has seen any studies or market research on the optimum domain name length.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

ICANN Wiki: http://icannwiki.org/Domain_Name_Value_by_Keyword_and_Length

But really, it's less about length than about being memorable (and easy to remember) while unique enough to lead to easy searching.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

what do you think of aneedleandaloom.com ?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not kidding when I say there was a site whose entire name was the first stanza of the poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carol. Obviously the spaces and grammar were removed.

Twas brillig and the slithy toves,
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

I managed to access it but once without going back and correcting mistakes when I typed it out.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
what do you think of aneedleandaloom.com ?

I think I'd like it better without the articles. Just needleandloom.com Or maybe an amalgam, like needloom. No, I don't like that amalgam.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

needleandloom.com is ok, needleloom bad. But I think that might be getting closer.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Breyerchic: I think that's a nice approach.

The only problem is that it's too many vowels so it's hard to type. I'd probably get rid of the 'a's and just go with 'needleandloom.com' -- but of course you would call it "A Needle and a Loom" in the actual text pages. But people tend to differ on whether to include 'a's and 'the's so whatever you prefer.

And a Google search for "needle loom" just brings up a bunch of technical stuff [apparently there's an actual thing called a needle loom] so you should be able to go up the search results rankings fairly quickly.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
How about:

http://www.floatlikeaweaverstinglikeaneedle.com?

Nice and short!

Get it? Float? Haha! I kill myself.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

BlackBlade:

Here's one for you -- http://www.wemadeoutinatreeandthisoldguysatandwatchedus.com/

The White Whale
Member # 6594

- posted      Profile for The White Whale           Edit/Delete Post 
www.castoncastoff.com
Posts: 1711 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.