FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HELP! Excel won't calculate!

Author Topic: HELP! Excel won't calculate!
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Something's gone wrong with Excel. It's not automatically calculating formulas. The "Calculate" notice appears at the bottom of the screen, but hitting F9 doesn't do anything.

Yes, I've checked to make sure that it's set to Automatic Calculation rather than Manual. There's been a few times when I've caught it on Manual, but changing it to Automatic still doesn't fix the problem. I've had to save the spreadsheet and reopen it, but sometimes that won't even work, and the only thing that does is to restart Excel.

These are all simple SUM formulas and the like. Nothing weird about them, so I don't think it's a formula issue.

I'm running a virus scan now, but was wondering if anyone knows of any common Excel problems that might be causing this (I seem to recall problems with Normal.dot getting corrupted back from my tech support days, but I think that Word, not Excel). Any suggestions? This is a SERIOUS problem; everything I do at work involved Excel, and I have a heavy workload at the moment. I can't be restarting Excel all the time just to get a simple SUM to calculate.

edit: It's also not showing the sum in the lower right corner when you highlight a range of cells. That's extremely annoying, too. [Mad]

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, copying the entire spreadsheet and pasting it into a brand-new file sometimes fixes this kind of problem. It's a last-ditch sort of thing, but it might work for you. Good luck!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you try opening the file on a different computer to determine whether it's a problem with the file itself or with the program?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

It's happening with multiple files, so I don't think it's necessarily a problem with a file.
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Reboot.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

Still happening.

I did a virus scan and ran Ad-Aware last week, and didn't find anything suspicious (other than a few tracking cookies, but they shouldn't be causing this issue; all the cookies were to sites I know and trust). Any other suggestions? I'll probably reinstall Excel later, when I have more time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.