FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Something that's been bothering me about movies (um....sort of spoilers?)... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Something that's been bothering me about movies (um....sort of spoilers?)...
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The girl is running away from the monster. She trips on something. Then she just lays there screaming until A) some guy comes and saves her or B) the monster has lunch.
That and the women are always trying to run around in stiletto heels. Personally, if I were ever being chased around in heels, the first thing I'd do is take the dang things off. Then again, women's costuming in most fight/chase movie scenes is absurd. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
"o noes, my sweater is coming unbuttoned as I run Baywatch-style!"

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
***Spoiler for every bad rom-com ever made. Notting Hill, I'm looking at you.***

"Oh no! Our amazing romance is derailed because we don't talk to each other and clearly do not trust each other enough to ask the simplest questions!

I will now leave my entire life immediately on a airplane to a land where there is no telephone or Internet unless you race across town on a motorcycle to say nothing new.

The sight of you will cause me to abandon all my new plans I was committed to just a moment ago and this clearly shows that we will be together forever."

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Oh no! Our amazing romance is derailed because we don't talk to each other and clearly do not trust each other enough to ask the simplest questions!

Spider Man 3 really bothered me with this premise.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one Adam Carolla complains about constantly:

It's the "what's in it for you" test. In so many (perhaps most) films having to do with highschool students, there is the ubiquitous bully character, stupid and usually despicable and pampered, who hassles the protagonist for no particular reason.

There is an analogous adult version where the mean drunken biker picks on the protagonist in a bar for no reason. (see con-air)

What exactly is in it for the bully? I was picked on in highschool, but there was always a reason... not a good one, but there was one.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!! I love Noting Hill! *puts fingers in ears and hums*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, didn't anyone ever tell you not to put anything in your ear, except your elbow?

On second thought, never NEVER put your elbow in your ear, either.

But you are free to go about humming, if that makes you happy.

And "Noting Hill"? Is that the Cliff's version of the movie?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't stand it when a character is being chased by a car and runs straight down the middle of the road.

That and when a big dramatic conflict could be easily avoided by an intelligent character accurately explaning what happened and possibly apologizing. This happens far more often in television, but movies too.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate how quick agile normal people are constantly tripping on themselves while being chased while their lurching zombie persuers never have that problem.

I REALLY hate it when this situation is playing out, the person look behind them to see where Mr. Zombie (Or the bad guy for that matter) is and he seems to have disappeared. Seconds later they are attacked from the front by the zombie who must have suddenly pulled out silent rocket pack while they weren't looking, flew ahead of them, discarded the pack and then attacked.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I get bugged by movie/TV situations where a character proficient with firearms has gotten the drop on someone else, but the other person is able to do things like draw their weapon, turn around, fire shots, do a jig, etc. without the first person easily shooting them like 50 times.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
One firearm thing that bothers me is that when you've got somebody at gun point, you don't stand close enough so that they can knock/kick/punch/whatever the gun out of your hands. While I can forgive stupidity like that from most civilians, I can't from LEOs, professional soldiers, or anybody else that knows what they're doing with a handgun.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
One firearm thing that bothers me is that when you've got somebody at gun point, you don't stand close enough so that they can knock/kick/punch/whatever the gun out of your hands. While I can forgive stupidity like that from most civilians, I can't from LEOs, professional soldiers, or anybody else that knows what they're doing with a handgun.

Well it makes no sense for civilians either as most people's inclination when they have a gun is to keep back from the threat, what bugs me is when the villain monologues his way up to the civilian with the gun and promptly knocks the gun away.

You'd think more then a few would fire out of panic.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
I hate how quick agile normal people are constantly tripping on themselves while being chased while their lurching zombie persuers never have that problem.

I REALLY hate it when this situation is playing out, the person look behind them to see where Mr. Zombie (Or the bad guy for that matter) is and he seems to have disappeared. Seconds later they are attacked from the front by the zombie who must have suddenly pulled out silent rocket pack while they weren't looking, flew ahead of them, discarded the pack and then attacked.

Don't you know about the ZombiePorter 3000? Capable of teleporting a zombie in front of any protagonist in seconds! For only seven easy payments of $349.95, you too can own this remarkable piece of technology!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by pH:
quote:

Don't you know about the ZombiePorter 3000? Capable of teleporting a zombie in front of any protagonist in seconds! For only seven easy payments of $349.95, you too can own this remarkable piece of technology!

-pH

Can I get the Portiero Head edition?
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Obligatory link #2:
Things learned from Movies

(EDIT: Cleaner link...)

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

#50 was kinda dumb since fictional numbers in media are required be law to always begin with 555.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not true. They usually are and they aren't allowed to use a number that's in use by someone else, but there is no law stating that they HAVE to begin with 555.
Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Javert Hugo:
Nope, not true. They usually are and they aren't allowed to use a number that's in use by someone else, but there is no law stating that they HAVE to begin with 555.

Hmm you seem to be right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/555_telephone_number

docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my thing, with really out-there stuff in movies.

Generally, if they establish in the first half hour that it's part of the premise of the movie, I'll just suspend my disbelief and accept it. For example, in Die Hard, the idea that guys could hack into every electric appliance in the whole world was the premise. I'll accept it, since they gave it to me in the start.

Same with season 4 of 24. The idea that there's one remote control that can control every nuclear reactor in all of north america is silly, but they gave it to me at the start so I'll go with it.

It's sort of like they're being up-front about it, "Here's the thing you're going to have to buy if you want to enjoy this movie." I decide to buy it, I enjoy the movie.

What gets me is when these things are introduced later on, or when the movie violates its own rules.

Or the Star Trek: Next Generation thing, where they pull some weird rule out of a hat at the end. "Captain, if we just exedrinate our Robitussion field, the Tylynol Core should Obscusificate!"

And sure enough, the Tylynol Core DOES Obscusificate, and everything is okay. And we wonder why everybody was so worried all this time when Obscusificating was always an option.

So, to sum up:

The closer the end of the movie you establish your reality-bending rule, the less likely you are to be forgiven.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when a woman breaks up with her boyfriend because she falsely accuses him of cheating on her. The man tries to explain that it is just a misunderstanding, but the woman refuses to listen to him. Then, an hour later in the movie the man explains to the woman what really happened, and they live happily ever after. This all could have been avoided if the women just listened to the man in the first place.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This all could have been avoided if the women just listened to the man in the first place.
HA! Are you even married?
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by otterk10:
I hate it when a woman breaks up with her boyfriend because she falsely accuses him of cheating on her. The man tries to explain that it is just a misunderstanding, but the woman refuses to listen to him. Then, an hour later in the movie the man explains to the woman what really happened, and they live happily ever after. This all could have been avoided if the women just listened to the man in the first place.

I hate this too, but occasionally movies are smart and instead have the man explain everything, confident the woman will then understand, and the woman responds with a left hook that clarifies everything and lets the man know that what he thought was wrong was in fact wrong, but for a different reason.

edit: though to be perfectly honest it's QUITE plausible to have a woman who encounters such a traumatic revelation to just feel overwhelmed and just need her space, without any chance for you to get anything substantial in.

otterk10
Member # 10463

- posted      Profile for otterk10           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by otterk10:

I hate this too, but occasionally movies are smart and instead have the man explain everything, confident the woman will then understand, and the woman responds with a left hook that clarifies everything and lets the man know that what he thought was wrong was in fact wrong, but for a different reason.

edit: though to be perfectly honest it's QUITE plausible to have a woman who encounters such a traumatic revelation to just feel overwhelmed and just need her space, without any chance for you to get anything substantial in.

My problem with this is not that the woman does not forgive the man. What angers me is when the man actually explains what happened, the woman just says "Ok. I forgive you." Then, the two kiss and all is forgotten.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.