FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Google-Fu/Follow the energy?

Author Topic: Google-Fu/Follow the energy?
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
My original question was who said/wrote 'Follow the energy'? My brain tells me it was Asimov somewhere in the Foundation series. Obviously a play on 'follow the money' from the movie All the President's Men.

My google-fu failed me. Which leads to my next question: Is google-fu a hatrack expression?

Which leads to: Where is that Hatrack wiki again?

[Smile]

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
If you google google-fu, you'll find links like this, which refers to google-fu and is clearly not hatrack.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

quote:
"That's going to take some serious code-fu." First sighted in connection with the GIMP's remote-scripting facility, script-fu, in 1998.
GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program:
http://www.gimp.org/

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen (and personally used) the "-fu" appellation in this sense well before 1998. The earliest influence for it that I can think of is the show Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs. It was one of those shows where they have a feature movie and the host makes jokes and trivia about it at the commercial breaks. At the end he would recap the "high points" of the movie with a list of things like the number of explosions, number of deaths, and anything used creatively in a fight with -fu. "We've got kung-fu, chair-fu, chainsaw-fu, car-fu, goat-fu, etc."

Of course, with a usage such as this I expect that other people came up with it separately. Joe Bob is just the first fairly widespread media persona I've seen to use it consistantly.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot all about my boy Joe Bob. I used to read his movie reviews in the local rag while I was in college.
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack wiki is here.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

Thanks. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.