FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sunshine is eternal and a mind can be spotless

Author Topic: Sunshine is eternal and a mind can be spotless
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently we can now target specific memories to erase, given the right drug at the right time.

quote:
Researchers have found they can use drugs to wipe away single, specific memories while leaving other memories intact. By injecting an amnesia drug at the right time, when a subject was recalling a particular thought, neuro-scientists discovered they could disrupt the way the memory is stored and even make it disappear.
quote:
The research suggests memories can be manipulated because they act as if made from glass, existing in a molten state as they are being created, before turning solid. When the memory is recalled, however, it becomes molten again and so can be altered before it once more resets.

The drug used by the scientists is thought to disrupt the biochemical pathways that allow the memory to "harden" after it is recalled.

This sounds like really cool sci-fi. Everyone I know talks about how fast science is changing our life. I agree it is fast. The information age took me by surprise. But this...this is beyond "things going faster," this is...I am flabbergasted.

What are the ramifications of erasing memories? I can see a whole new level of date rape, abuse, military abuse, et cetera. I don't think the benefits of eliminating PTS is worth it.

This scares me on a whole new existential level.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
The worst part is, they can also make you forget the fact that they're making you forget something.

For all we know, any of us could have already been made to forget any number of things.

Let the paranoia ensue! [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattP
Member # 10495

- posted      Profile for MattP   Email MattP         Edit/Delete Post 
So, if memories become plastic during recollection, are we able to modify our own memories at the time that we are remembering them?
Posts: 3275 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, if memories become plastic during recollection, are we able to modify our own memories at the time that we are remembering them?
Absolutely - this has been the cause of marital spats for generations! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
Radio Lab did a show on this a few weeks ago:
http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2007/06/08

Radio Lab is amazing. I recommend going through their archives too.

Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desu
Member # 5941

- posted      Profile for Desu           Edit/Delete Post 
According to the artile it seems as if they have not tested for memory loss in other areas. I wonder if the patients now find it more difficult to 'solidify' memories.

Also, d'you think the patient would be able to remember the event but not the details? e.i. "I was raped, but I can't remember what happened, who did it, or how it took place."

Certainly opens up many new prospects in a number of fields (psychological, corporate, military).

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.