FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Numbering System:

Author Topic: College Numbering System:
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Mayfly: What does the number of a course mean? Is it variable by college, or is there a universal system? (I'm interested in a course numbered 0500, and don't want to get in over my head, and another one 1020.)

Thanks ^^;;.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, schools use either 100 or 1000 for first year, 200 or 2000 for second....600 or 6000 are graduate level. I am not aware of there being a universal system though.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
It is variable by college. Many college use a system where 100s, 200s, 300s, and 400s are undergraduate courses, and higher ones are not, but based on those examples, I doubt this is the case.

The simplest way is to look at how the course is presented, both specifically and in relationship to other courses. The course title will also help.

And of course, this is the sort of thing advisors exist for.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
It is HIGLY variable by college, and often by department. In theory higher numbers should indicate later in sequence, but in point of fact that is not always true. Sometimes that is for historical reasons which have little bearing on current class offerings.

Did you look in the course catalog? Does the course have prerequisites you have not yet had?

And fugu's suggestion of consulting with an advisor is an excellent one.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
At my school, undergrad courses are 100-400, and graduate are 600-800. But the 800-level courses are special concentrations or independent studies, so I'm guessing similar courses would be 500-level in undergrad.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, speaking of the course catalog, it almost certainly has a guide to the meaning of course numbers just before the list of courses.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
College Numbering System:
It's variable. The only hard and fast rule is that the numbering has to start like this:

1. University of Virginia

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
As if!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The titles can be more useful than the numbers sometimes.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Frequently. And course descriptions more so.
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Golly, I wish I'd known that while I was in college. I routinely picked my classes based on system of selecting course numbers using a combination of Gematria and the I Ching.

I guess that explains the three majors, come to think of it.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
as everyone has said, it's variable, however here's some additional possibilities:

500 level courses at Purdue are cross-level (i.e. undergrad/grad classes that are often taken by seniors as well as grad students and the occasional junior) in fact about half of my senior curriculum was 500 level courses because of the way my particular major was worked out.

in general I wouldn't let the course number necessarily sway you one way or the other, but I would look at the description, possibly talk to former students and the professor. I've been in 200-level classes that were harder than 500 level classes. additionally, is there a chance that your 0500 lvl class is something like a remedial class or a class for non-majors? For example we had some calculus classes for non math/science/engineering majors which had some odd numberings if I'm remembering correctly.

normally I'd say if your school uses a 4-digit system then 1000=freshman, 2000=sophomore, 3000=junior, 4000=senior, 5000=senior/grad, 6000-8000=grad. but it's all a guess without seeing the actual lineup at your school

Also keep in mind that especially for non-major courses it's not necessarily as relevant what "level" the courses were. I was an engineer, but didn't scoff at 300+ level philosophy/history courses because I knew I had at least a decent background there.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes 500s are Master's courses, and then 600 are Ph.D level classes. Also, I think some schools (Cal?) use 1-99 for undergrad courses, and 100+ for graduate level.

Anyways, like everyone else said, check the descriptions of the classes as well as information in the college catalog. In fact, I generally suggest every student fully read all of the policies at their university. You can find out all sorts of information - I learned my freshman year that you could take one free audit a semester (which I did every semester after I learned that nugget - free knowledge!).

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Jhai:
In fact, I generally suggest every student fully read all of the policies at their university. You can find out all sorts of information

AMEN!
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
eh, I will figure it out on my own...

And the I Ching is definitely an authority on college courses....

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of either speaking to the professor teaching the class, your advisor, or fellow students who have already taken the course (or one comparable.)
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely look up the course descriptions in the catalog - which is normally found online - to get a feel for what the course content is expected to be, but there are no guarantees.

The hardest class I have taken was a 100 level intro course. One of the easiest - a 400 level course for seniors and graduate students. It depends on the professor and how he/she intends to teach the course.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.