FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Oh, no. Oh, PLEASE no...

Author Topic: Oh, no. Oh, PLEASE no...
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Saw IV

Why? WHY?

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Low budget.
2) Substantial fan base. I'm not part of it, but I know factually it exists.

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not, really? I loved all 3 of the other ones. I'm certainly not saying it's necessary, but with the success of the other movies, why the heck WOULDN'T they put out another one? I'm definitely gonna see it, and I'm sure a ton of other people will as well.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I stopped at 2 when the woman got pushed into the pit of needles.

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
BEGIN SPOILERS (AND RANT)

------------

But the whole point of the original three films was the idea of Jigsaw punishing people for taking their lives for granted. He's dead. Or should be. If they pull some sort of lame, "Look, I was really faking it!" crap like they did with the second one, I'm going to lose any respect that still remained for the writer's of this franchise.

They killed both of the original villians. They lost the main character and only character that was even remotely interesting to a good majority of the people I know. So, they better have something amazing up their sleeves.

If not, they won't get my money for another one. I don't understand how they could possibly have any story left to tell. I think the depressing tone of the third movie's ending was a perfect end to the franchise. It showed someone forcefully and ultimately learning their lesson by losing one of the only things that they still cared about.

For me, that ending summed up the whole idea of the series and the whole commentary on humanity, through Jigsaw's eyes, as perfectly as anything could.

Plus, they said that the gore this time around is making the people making the film vomit. I think that's just plain unnecessary. Part of the fun of the movies was the cleverness of the traps. But I think there is a boundary to everything. I don't understand why they would think it's necessary or appropriate to make something so gory that it actually causes people to throw up.

They tried to top the gore with the last one. So, they focused more on the traps and the gore than the story. I believe this caused the movie itself to suffer and made it the weakest of the three. Gore does not a good movie make.

----------------------

END SPOILERS (AND RANT)

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
"Plus, they said that the gore this time around is making the people making the film vomit."

Oh, I'll REALLY be watching THIS now. [Roll Eyes]

I've never seen any of them.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying they're not grasping at straws here, 'cause y'all are right, there's not a whole lot of story left to tell, as far as I can tell. But who knows? I didn't think they would be able to pull off a third one, and I liked that one, so I'm at least going to give it a chance. And while the gore might be unnecessary, it doesn't bother me at all.
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I eventually got around to watching the first one via Netflix and thought it was pretty stupid. Most of the "traps" lacked any suspence because of the way they were shown in flashback so you already knew if the victim had made it out or not, plus the flashbacks were annoying fastnjerky-vision. Most of the "lessons" made no sense either - what does a beartrap on your jaw have to do with being a drug addict, anyway?

Oh, and the whole "having to saw through your limb instead of the chain" thing was totally ripped off from Rorshach in The Watchmen.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Oh, and the whole "having to saw through your limb instead of the chain" thing was totally ripped off from Rorshach in The Watchmen.

I think you mean Mad Max.

quote:
Max: The chain in those handcuffs is high-tensile steel. It'd take you ten minutes to hack through it with this. Now, if you're lucky, you could hack through your ankle in five minutes. Go.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh yeah! Max has it by a couple of years there. The point remains though: Saw sucked. [Wink]

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.