FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ATMs accesible to the blind

Author Topic: ATMs accesible to the blind
Nethy
Member # 6462

- posted      Profile for Nethy           Edit/Delete Post 
Finally!

quote:
Cardtronics, the largest owner of ATMs in the United States, with more than 23,000 ATMs nationwide and more than 25,000 ATMs globally, is equipping its machines with voice-guided technology as the result of a legal settlement between the company and the NFB. The federation claimed in a lawsuit that ATMs need to be convenient to use for blind people. Cardtronics owns 1,500 machines in the United Kingdom and 500 in Mexico.
It certainly took long enough.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were. Ours has been for a long time. Although they might have a little difficulty in the drive-up part.
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wondered about that. There are braille labels on so many things, but they're not exactly standardised, and if you don't already know they're there, they're useless. I mean, it's great to find a random doorway, but a little undignified feeling all around the frame or door trying to make sure it's the ladies' room.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nethy
Member # 6462

Some have braille, but I haven't seen any with the voice-guided technology. Blind people can walk up to ATMs, though. [Smile]
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nethy:
Blind people can walk up to ATMs, though. [Smile]

Surely you jest.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nethy
Member # 6462

Nope. Not in the least. Are all ATMs drive through? And they certainly do use ATMs from back seats of cars. You don't have to be driving to use an ATM.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Every ATM I've seen has had Braille writing and a headphone jack. I assumed that was already a standard.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nethy
Member # 6462

According to NFB, and in my experience...
quote:
Large financial services institutions such as Bank of America have been installing ATMs with a voice guidance feature for many years, but ATMs installed in convenience stores, drugstores, airports, movie theaters, shopping malls, and other places have not kept pace with this trend.
NFB.org

So this is very major in that the ATMs most accessible location wise to the blind will also be usable.

brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Ours have always (as long as I remember) had braile and a port for headphones.
Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Our has voice-guided technology (no headphones required) it talks you through the steps. It has a British accent, which is SO cool!
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.