FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » iPod Shuffle Help (Please)

Author Topic: iPod Shuffle Help (Please)
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom bought one this morning. And we were going to plug it into the computer and set it up on iTunes like I did with my Nano. But it didn't bring up the Set-Up Assistant thing when we hooked it up.

The orange light started blinking. And has been for the past few hours. We just assumed that it was charging. But we really aren't sure.

Is there something wrong with the iPod? Did we miss a step, and we are the source of the problem?

We couldn't start a folder for it. So, we weren't able to put music in the folder. So, I don't think it even put music on there.

Can someone help? My mom seems somewhat distressed, and I honestly have no clue what's wrong.

[ July 09, 2007, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: SteveRogers ]

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'm assuming you're using a PC and not a Mac. Generally speaking the orange light means it's charging. Do you see it appear on the menu bar on the left in itunes? If so I can help you set it up from there, and if not there may be a problem somewhere. I can help you more with some more information, no need to be distressed.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I didnt ever used Itunes with it, infact Shuffle didnt have any real form of pop up or assistent that I can recal, I used something called Rhapsody to put music on it. But I'm sure windows media player will suffice.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It's actually an iMac G5, so I don't know if that changes things. But it doesn't even appear on the menu bar on iTunes. It never brought up the set up menu, so the computer hasn't actually recognized the iPod yet.

We plugged it in. And it just started charging. We haven't put on iTunes because we were never given the proper way to do it. And I was just expecting a pop up window to lead me through it.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

Oh yay! I love to see Mac proliferation.

I'd say the first thing you should do is install iTunes from the apple website here. Once you have that downloaded you can move your music from wherever you have it now into itunes, which may take some time. and the iPod should appear in the menu bar at the left and walk you through the steps to set it up.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

iTunes came on the computer. It's already installed. My brother and I both use it for our iPod Nanos. We already have music on the computer. We've had music on the computer for quite awhile now.

The iPod doesn't appear in the menu bar at the left, and it hasn't walked me through the steps to set it up.

The orange light is still blinking.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried removing it and then connecting it to the computer again?
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Once, but I might try it again.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I tried it. And I think that it's charged. But I can't figure out how to put music on it. It won't cooperate.

I can't get it to configure with iTunes. So, I don't know where to put the music so it goes onto the device.

I've got it plugged in. I have iTunes. I have music. But I don't know how to put the music on the iPod.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have more than one gb of music? Could it have just put the first gig of songs onto the ipod without telling you?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I don't even have a gig on there. And I checked, it gave me the "No Music" message.
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
10.3.9 or later? Are you using iTunes 7.2 or later?
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

It looks like it's iTunes version 4.6 if I'm looking at the right thing. Does it need to be an upgraded version?

Edit: I think we're way behind on updates. My dad usually just tells the computer that we'll do it later. Do we need to do it now?

dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

Yeah that's the problem, I assumed you had a version of iTunes considering it's a Mac, but it needs to be updated before you can run the shuffle, the specs on Apple's website say at least version 7.2. It's usually a good idea to take advantage of the Software Update option in the apple menu.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.