FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Spiderwick Teaser

Author Topic: Spiderwick Teaser
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I tried reading The Spiderwick Chronicles back in 2003, but gave up. It was apparent the writing skewed towards more of a "kids only" audience, rather than "all-ages".

Still, I admired the beautiful illustrations by Tony DiTerlizzi...and am tempted ever-so-often to purchase the absolutely gorgeous Field Guide released to tie in with the series. He re-imagines well-known, stereotypical fantasy creatures in such gorgeous and grotesque ways.

I was aware that a movie was in the works, but didn't pay much attention.

Lo and behold, a teaser has popped up:

Hmmm...

Hard to say if it'll be any good...but I'm intrigued.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Looked cool on the big screen. Wish the audience had been better behaved.

Dude, if you're going to a Harry Potter movie, screaming about how "gay" fantasy films are just seems kinda odd. [Razz]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd never heard of it before, nor had any of my friends. But we all agreed that it looked like Terebithia, only this time for the whole family to enjoy.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

BLAST Disney for making Terabithia look like it was a fantasy movie! [Mad]

Spiderwick actually -is- about what the trailer says it's about. Just so you know. [Wink]

JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
The books aren't bad. It is a series of 5 short chapter books, so if you make the movie about 2.5 hours long and trim some of the hokey bits, you could cram all the books into a single film. The books have a subplot (for lack of a better word) on how the three children deal with their father who left the family to focus on his career. This part of the story will probably be touched lightly in the movie, but is actualy quite critical to the story in the books.
Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt a bit assaulted by the fantasy trailers before Harry Potter. Between this, The Dark is Rising and Golden Compass. I know fantasy is popular right now but geez, draw it out a little bit, don't throw EVERY fantasy story ever written at us all at once, that's how you exhaust a genre and make it not fun anymore.

Don't get me wrong, Spiderwick looked good enoguh to see, maybe just barely good enough to see in the theater. Golden Compass looks good too, I'll see it in the theater, despite the fact that I think New Line people were stupid to make the insanely pointed reference to LOTR though. And I think The Dark is Rising looks moderately interesting, maybe good enough for a trip to the theater, I haven't decided yet.

I just think they should spread these out a bit more.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

...The Dark is Rising... [Cry]
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, wow. I loved this trailer.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I actually enjoyed this book. I had to tune my brain down a little. But I thought it was cleverly written. And the way they presented the mythology seemed very well thought out. And, like Puffy said, the illustrations were beautifully rendered and re-imagined creatures of lore.

I've only read the first two. If there are only five, I might pick up the other three just to finish the story.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I never read these books, though I've read a couple of Holly Black's teenage novels - which I enjoyed, especially 'Valiant', though they are very dark.

This looks like it might be pretty good.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.